SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandipace

First time buyer. New construction property. By myself..I know, right.

Brandi Pace
6 years ago

Hi Houzz community!

I wanted to start a dialogue with people who have or who are going through the process of buying a new construction property.

I am working with cal-Atlantic Homes in Maryland, and they are really reputable in the industry, as well as recently competed a merger with Lennar Homes (another very reputable builder). I am really excited about the process, but this is equally as terrifying. I have heard so many horror stories about things falling apart at the closing table, and after waiting for months (closing is looking like the end of August) I would hate for this to happen to me.

I am staying away from spending unnecessary money. I am putting money into my escrow account twice monthly. I am keeping my credit cards as close to a $0 balance as possible, and flat out not using others. I am also saving extra money on the side in my bank account just in case it is needed at closing.

Can anyone give feedback on the following:

1 - What can I expect at the table?

2 - I understand that credit scores fluctuate from month to month due to factors like credit age, and i have seen my own score do this by give or take 5-10 points as a time over the past coupe of years. Can a drop like this impact my ability to close?

3 - My builder is putting up $10k toward closing costs if I finance 70% and title with them. My credit union is offering me 100% financing, but if I go with them, the builder will only give $7K toward closing. Who would you finance your loan with? Why?

Am I just trippin here??? Help!!!

Comments (3)