SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

What's your genealogy?

Texas_Gem
6 years ago

Several threads lately have touched on genealogy and the ties we might have to our past.

What's yours? How far back have you been able to trace?

Mine was fairly easy. My grandmother was really into genealogy so I already knew and had the family tree tracing me back to Nancy Ward, the famous Cherokee. I'm related to her because I'm a descendent through her daughter Betsy that she had with Bryant Ward.

Betsy went on to be the common law wife of General Joseph Martin and I am a descendent of their children.

If you look into Gen. Martin's family tree, you quickly find that he is a descendent of Colonel John Page, who immigrated to America in 1650. Page and his descendents are some of the First Families of Virginia.

My grandmother was really interested in our Indian ties and so that is what she traced. I don't think she even knew about Gen. Martin being a Page descendent because she hadn't explored that branch.

I used to be really fascinated with the fact that I had a tie to this long ago "famous" person, but the older I got, the more I wondered about all of those other "branch's" that ultimately connected me with her.

I mean each person was half of a previous person and I was only following a single thread in this giant braid.

I do not personally feel any sort of connection to any of these people. If anything, the farther I go back through my tree, actually exploring all of the branches and not following just one thread, the more of an A grade all around mutt I realize I am.

Still, there is something interesting about learning the history of how I ultimately came to be. I can't help but wonder, when I read these people's life stories, that if things had been different for them, I might not exist.

I suppose it ties into my love of sci-fi because, as insignificant as these people and their lives are to me now, if they didn't happen the way they happened when they happened, I might not be here now the way I am. The Butterfly Effect.

So how about you? How far back can you go and, have you traced many (any?) of the other branch's?

It's never ending and branching out from you. Every split is 2 more people with their own 2 people to explore multiplied by infinity.

Comments (35)