SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethzen

Genealogy research and organization

elizabethzen
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've been doing genealogy research off and off for several years now. I started off by using an online site that has a lot of census and other records. It took some digging, but I have been able to use some sketchy information about my maternal grandparents to trace their ancestry back to the 1700s. It has been truly amazing and addictive!

I'm now in contact with cousins (4th cousins in some cases) that I never had any idea existed. What an unexpected pleasure that has been as a result of my research. It is wonderful to have these new found kin to exchange family history and share findings. All via email of course as we are spread across the country.

I am now documenting each piece of information and entering the data into a computer program. My search has gotten broader with experience. By knowing about my direct ancestor's friends and relations I have been able to verify events and identities with more certainty than when I narrowly stuck to seeking only information about my direct line.

Now the problem I have is with the huge volume of material I have collected, and in getting all the bits and pieces at my fingertips. I know I need to begin writing up a comprehensive history but my data is still too disorganized for that.

Anyone else do a genealogy project? Either just beginning or with massive piles of information? :)

I would be interest to hear about your research and organizing methods.

If I can be of help to anyone, I would be happy to answer questions about my experiences with genealogy research.

Elizabeth

Comments (6)