SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Surprise.....

amylou321
6 years ago

So I get home this morning, and SO meets me outside the door,which is odd considering it's around 5:30 in the morning. He says to me "Go look." Go look at what? I wonder. Open the door,and there is a big bundle of black fur staring at me. Sigh. He wants so bad for me to stop crying about Sammy. This is the only thing he could think of I guess. Apparently,she's been chained outside and SO saw her and offered to buy her. So now we have a new puppy. She is somehow,remarkably completely housebroken(I will chalk that up to the intelligence of the breed,if not the dog) She is however,very much a puppy,and very much into mischief and mayhem. A new adventure. A very cute adventure.

Comments (86)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

How old is she and has she been spade? She has a lovely expression.

amylou321 thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Related Discussions

Surprise, surprise!! (Pics)

Q

Comments (8)
    I love them all. I never had trouble growing nasturtiums by direct sowing. In fact, I think I used to read that they resented transplanting, but ws'ing is a little different when you plant them with the soil intact around the roots. But as soon as they started blooming nicely, the bottoms of the leaves would get covered with aphids, and they'd die. I had this white powder stuff I got and poofed on them (hard to get at the undersides), but it didn't work well, and I didn't like breathing that stuff or getting it on me plus I was working and didn't have time to trouble shoot like I can a little more now. Of course I wouldn't have known the hose trick which might have worked. Maybe conditions have changed. One year I had aphids early on the rose buds but not so bad the last two years, so maybe I've got a different balance going now. Or maybe not. Thanks for sharing your nice photos.
    ...See More

Surprise surprise!!!

Q

Comments (7)
    They are lovely surprises showing up in the middle of our lawn this time of year along with a double orange daylily. I've tried moving some to the front flowerbeds a few years in a row but they just disappear and show back up in the middle of the lawn right where they want to be lol. Another example of willful diva plants with their own ideas of where they are gonna grow and where they are not. ~Sjn
    ...See More

Surprise, surprise!

Q

Comments (6)
    Looks like a frog tree to me. The other night i went to go get some lottery ticket from the grocery store and when i came back out i jumped in the seat, arranged my groceries on the seat beside me, started the engine and looked out the windsheild to find a 3 inch frog sitting on my hood. Knowing if i started to head home the froggo would be splat, i looked around and saw some woods to the side of the store so slowly drove over to them and using a grocery sack help froggo find the woods. Jumped back into the seat backup out of spot and started to drive off only to look over at the hood on the passenger side to find another frog...drove in a circle and got second froggo off. And finally headed home...
    ...See More

Surprise of all surprises

Q

Comments (6)
    If they’ve really rooted you’ve done well. They're considered tricky, although this is the best time of year to try cuttings, albeit not in water. All mine started as self sown seedlings. If bay is common in your area have a look around the female trees. You may well find some babies. For the strongest flavour older leaves are more flavoursome than young growth. And they dry better without shrivelling so much.
    ...See More
  • nickel_kg
    6 years ago

Oh she is so cute -- I love her big pointy ears! I like the name Rosie, or Rosa. Rosa Parks was a determined woman, so there is a strength to that name.

Does your SO get a vote for her name?

amylou321 thanked nickel_kg
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Nickel_He has vetoed my first 4 suggestions. We do both have to agree,unfortunately. :op

Skibby,I love the name stella,but one of my sister's has a cat named Stella. We All have an unspoken agreement: no copying!!!!!!!

Rhizo,I have no idea,but I think its safe to assume that she has not been spayed yet.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

I am smitten with those toes and ears! Such a cutie!

amylou321 thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • chisue
    6 years ago

I like dog names that are short and sharp -- names that begin with a consonant. What are traditional names for German girls? Gretel? Gretchen? Gerda? Trudy? I like Heidi, and the hard "i" is a help.

amylou321 thanked chisue
  • Chi
    6 years ago

Greta?

amylou321 thanked Chi
  • nickel_kg
    6 years ago

Wilhelmenia, or Minnie for short (that was my paternal grandmother's name). Gertrude, Gertie, or Trudy (was my other grandmother). Elsie.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    6 years ago

Beautiful and lucky. I knew German woman professionally whose name was Ute (pronounced oo-tah). I loved her name.

amylou321 thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • sephia_wa
    6 years ago

I found this at the AKC website - top 100 German dog names

AKC German Dog Names

amylou321 thanked sephia_wa
  • sleeperblues
    6 years ago

Lucky pup. So happy for you. And I've known several women named Ute.

amylou321 thanked sleeperblues
  • nicole___
    6 years ago

I just met my new renters 4 month old GSD puppy today. Her name is Iza....pronounced eye-za. Congratulations!

amylou321 thanked nicole___
  • DawnInCal
    6 years ago

Awww, what a sweet hubby you have. This little girl has been waiting for you to come into her live and will give you much love in return. May she bring you many years of joy and laughter when she's not getting into mischief.

I'd like to add Sadie to the list of wonderful name suggestions you've already received. It's a name I've always thought of as as kind of sassy and scrappy (for lack of a better word).

Enjoy this time getting to know your girl! Things are looking up for you - a vacation and now this new friend!

amylou321 thanked DawnInCal
  • DawnInCal
    6 years ago

Nicole, I wonder if your renter's dog is named after the Iza character in the book, Clan of the Cavebear?

amylou321 thanked DawnInCal
  • Izzy Mn
    6 years ago

Lucy, cute name and rolls off the tongue, need a easy name when calling them...

I ended up with a cat named Princess, never would have picked that name. But she knew her name and didn't feel right changing it. But she was a escape artist. Quite a few times I was wandering the neighborhood yelling Princess... Felt awkward yelling that name.

amylou321 thanked Izzy Mn
  • dees_1
    6 years ago

Not a German name but for some reason Olga comes to mind.

Congrats......

amylou321 thanked dees_1
  • Marcy
    6 years ago

As soon as I saw her I thought she should be named Jackie. No reason, just looks like she should be Jackie.......Jackie Faye if you want a middle name for when she's in trouble!! : )

amylou321 thanked Marcy
  • hounds_x_two
    6 years ago

KT (Katie) in honor of all her good wishes from...the KT!

amylou321 thanked hounds_x_two
  • Rusty
    6 years ago

I can't help but notice that almost all of the names suggested are 'people' names. Am I the only one that does not use people names for pets? German Shepherd mixes that I have had were Kippy, Scampy, Lady, and Major. Other dogs I've had were Snoopy, Happy, Rusty, Smoky, Bandit, Shorty, Lucky, Little Bit, Scamper, Blackie and Chips. Somewhere I read, a long time ago, that dogs that have a name ending in the 'y' sound are more easily trained. Something about the inflection that your voice automatically takes when pronouncing the name. I also think it is a very good idea to not get into too big a hurry to chose a name, give the dog at least a few days (or more) so you can get a good idea of its personality.

Sorry if this is too far OT, but I really find the types of names suggested interesting.

Rusty

amylou321 thanked Rusty
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I notice that I tend to give my dogs people names..... I don't know why. Maybe it's easier to talk to them when I'm lonely (and fuss at them when they misbehave) when they have a people name.

• lily316
    6 years ago

All my 15 cats and four dogs have had people names but one, a cat named Pumpkin because I rescued him on Halloween and he was yellow. But I never liked that name. All my pets have/had two syllable names ending in y or ie. Currently, they are Bernie, Henry, Annie, Ziggy, and Wally.

amylou321 thanked lily316
  • sephia_wa
    6 years ago

My cats always have people names too - Benny, Henry, Nellie, Timmy, and Toby

amylou321 thanked sephia_wa
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

My favorite dog name was one I named one of my fabulous Great Danes. MOJO

it was a name of a dog in a book I read and knew it would be a name I used. So I suggest

MOJO

that is a beautiful story and a beautiful dog. I am proud of your DH for rescuing that baby.

amylou321 thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • User
    6 years ago

We had a female GS named Greta....... she lived to be 12.

.. I also like Gertie. Of course Rosie or Rosa would work as well...

amylou321 thanked User
  • Georgysmom
    6 years ago

Before Georgy Girl, my dog was a rescue that someone dropped off at the shelter in the middle of the night and tied to the chain-link fence. (temps in the teens) Since no one knew where she came from, I called her J.D. for Jane Doe. At the Vets years later, a man brought in a dog whose name was J. D. also but his J.D. stood for Jack Daniels. :-))))

amylou321 thanked Georgysmom
  • schoolhouse_gw
    6 years ago

Izzy Mn - awkward? How about calling out "Peeechesss!" (Peaches) ;) I wouldn't have named a male cat that but the little neighbor boy whose kitten it was before it stayed permanently at my house named him that.

amylou321 thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • eandhl2
    6 years ago

When your SO said. "Go look", I immediately thought "The sun will come out in the morning ". SUNNY

amylou321 thanked eandhl2
  • Janie
    6 years ago

Nickel, my grandmother's name was Wilhemina (known as Minnie) also. I always thought to use that name (not the nickname "Minnie" for a daughter but that didn't happen). I thought the full version was too many syllables for a pet.

I like people names for pets :) Actually, most of the pets I know right now have people names.

amylou321 thanked Janie
  • Summer
    6 years ago

My heart skips a beat whenever I see a German Shepherd, my favorite breed. I am so glad your SO rescued her and I hope she will be an indoor dog as they love to be near their humans. My current GSD came with the name Tasha which I changed to Katie, and previous one was Duchess which I changed to Hannah. Met a person and his GSD with the name pronounced Meeka, which I really like. After you have had her a few more days, you'll come up with a perfect name for her. She's beautiful!

ETA: OneRidgeOff - Bud is a handsome teenager.

amylou321 thanked Summer
  • Alisande
    6 years ago

Omigosh, she's beautiful. I love German Shepherds so much. Your SO did a wonderful thing! I hope the idiot that chained her up doesn't go get another dog. Let her meet lots of people so she get socialized, and I hope you'll let her stay at your side. I'm jealous!

amylou321 thanked Alisande
  • janey_alabama
    6 years ago

Lucky puppy have fun!!

amylou321 thanked janey_alabama
  • eld6161
    6 years ago

Amylou, I keep checking back here. Please start a new thread when you decide on a name!

amylou321 thanked eld6161
  • Ava
    6 years ago

She is adorable. How about Chloe or Sophie?

amylou321 thanked Ava
  • adellabedella_usa
    6 years ago

If I'm reading this correctly, this dog was dumped. The guy who chained this dog up was trying to save her life by keeping her out of trouble until he found her a better home.

Our pets don't actually have human names either. That's because I didn't pick the names. Lol! I have another name to add to the earlier list... Frances.

amylou321 thanked adellabedella_usa
  • sjerin
    6 years ago

That's how I read it too, Adella. I'm so glad your SO rescued this beautiful dog for you, Amylou!

amylou321 thanked sjerin
  • katlan
    6 years ago

Duchess. Madame. Donna. Andrea, nickname could be Andi or Andra. I'm so happy for you

amylou321 thanked katlan
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I've had dogs with "people" names, and dogs with other names - both have worked. Godfrey could not have been anything other than Godfrey - it just suited him so very well. The same was true of Alfred. My present Cavalier came to me when she was almost 6 and her call name was Shimmer - it suits her perfectly. Her breeder never gives her Cavaliers people names, but does always give them call names that are different than their registered names - very confusing sometimes. Yet when she bought a lovely large breed puppy recently (for the protection of the small dogs), she named her Adele. Go figure...

amylou321 thanked Anglophilia
  • skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    6 years ago

All my pets have had "people" names but they somehow seem to morph into ridiculous nicknames that are impossible to explain. I think the original names make me feel better when I need to take them to the Vet and can't say Hi, I'm go-go dog monkey ring around the bathtub's Mom. (I hope you know I made that up). More or less.

amylou321 thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    6 years ago

AND HER NAME IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Muffin.

SO named her Muffin, at the suggestion of my 9 yo nephew. He likes things like that. She will be HUGE and look intimidating already, so he likes that its a sweet name. We had a big pitbull/great dane mix named Tiny once, so its right up his alley.

I always rolled my eyes at names like that, muffin,cookie,cupcake, etc. But i like it in this case.

Initially,she looked pretty clean. But on closer inspection she was kind of dirty,likely from just living outside.I gave her a bath today, and parts of her skin looks pretty bad. Shes got crusty patches that SO thought might be from sitting in the mud, but shes got some on top of her head, and a big patch on her chest that looks a bit like mange,since when i cleaned away the ick her hair came with it. >:op However, he may be right and her skin is just irritated from being matted with mud. All will be checked out at the vet visit. I will be using a vet my sister uses, which is an hour away, but SO is insistent that i never take another dog back to our normal vets after his jackass treatment of candy and the misdiagnosis of Sammy. Also, it turns out she is pretty dog aggressive, which will not work at my house, so we will have to work on that. She is a very intelligent dog, completely house trained, it took about 15 minutes to teach her to sit,stay and lay down and she answers to her new name already. Otis, Buster, and Mudfoot, our other dogs, are thrilled, despite her aggression (they probably know they could take her). Nevertheless, she will be kept separate from them until she settles in and RELAXES(and until whatever skin thing shes got going on is cleared-i don't need that problem)!!! For now, she spends most of her time inside with us, even though she does seem to prefer outside at the moment. When SO is home, he spends most of his time outside, and will let her out when hes out there. My dogs decide where they live. They come and go inside and outside as they want. The 3 we have almost NEVER want to come in the house and when they do they don't stay long. If she decides to live in the house with us, so be it. If she would rather be outside, that's fine too. We have acreage that is fenced in, and parts of it are sectioned off in case we need to keep them separate for some reason. (Candy was old and very much preferred to be by herself,outside.)

I found the severed tail of my pink bunny "The snuggle is real" slippers this morning, and she seems to object to me putting my dirty clothes in the dirty clothes basket, since her favorite activity today has been to take them out piece by piece. Also, she thought it appropriate to snatch SOs boxers right off his butt while he was making his coffee this morning. The joy of puppies.....Good thing shes cute.....

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. I did present most of them as options, but was vetoed every time. :/

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    6 years ago

DH and I have been dog trainers for our entire lives(it seems like). We currently have 5 German Shepherds. We have had quite a few who have left a permanent mark on our hearts.

Marek (von Haus Antverpa). She is our benchmark for the perfect working dog.

Ali was a phenomenal KNPV dog(Dutch police) who loved our children to the point of crying when they cried lol.

Idgie is our current head bitch. Always level headed and reliable.

Java was my heart dog and world ranked competition dog.

Uma is my son’s GSD. A great granddaughter of the famous Marek above, so her full name is Umarek von Hugelblick. Uma for short.

Andra is my daughter’s GSD.

Inka is a great name for a Black and Tan.

amylou321 thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • Izzy Mn
    6 years ago

Friends of mine have had GS most of the time. Their present one are Hos, like from the Bonanza show, and Bear, well he looked like a bear when a puppy. He grew up with GS and I guess to insure, at least no food aggression, was to pour food in food bowl then feed dog putting hand in bowl and feeding by hand.

amylou321 thanked Izzy Mn
  • colleenoz
    6 years ago

Muffin is a great name! I love it.

amylou321 thanked colleenoz
  • desertsteph
    6 years ago

she is so sweet! puppies are like that. when mine was a pup - she drove me nuts. well, most would say I already was... but she was a psycho! still is. I knew no one else would keep her (she'd been re-homed twice). So I did, and now she is my sweetie. still often psycho tho. I probably don't help much with that...

Muffin is a good name for a gonna grow big GS! I had a Sam, a Shasta, a Sugar, a Shadow, a Snuggles, a Savage, a Skeeter, a Shivers... all S names.

amylou321 thanked desertsteph
  • artemis_ma
    6 years ago

Muffin is a great name!

I tend to stay away from people names with my pets, unless it is a name from mythology or fiction. I did have a cat named Katrina when I was a kid... but that's as close as I've gotten.

It probably stems from my mother being uncomfortable when introduced to a dog named Lucy... her name. (Mother never did really like her own name.)

amylou321 thanked artemis_ma
  • Bourbon Milkshake
    6 years ago

Muffin is a proper doggie name, as in "Ruff, I want to grow up to be a Muffin!"

amylou321 thanked Bourbon Milkshake
  • nickel_kg
    6 years ago

Wow, Muffin is a great name for a big dog! Good luck at the vet's office, I hope whatever might be going on with her skin is easily resolved.

And wouldn't it be nice to teach a dog to sort laundry by colors ... put it in the washing machine ... hit the right button ... oh well, a person can dream.

• Georgysmom
    6 years ago

So glad you changed vets!!!!

amylou321 thanked Georgysmom
  • Rusty
    6 years ago

Muffin! I love it! Thanks for the update, and I'm really REALLY glad you've chosen a new vet!

Rusty

amylou321 thanked Rusty
  • OneRidgeOff
    6 years ago

I love the name, she is definitely a Fluff-muffin! I’ll be checking back to see what your vet says about her issues.

I always found it impossible to name a dog before I got to know their personality. We thought we’d give our boy a tough manly name, like Rex, or Leo. But then we realized he is a ham and a clown, plus he’s always glued to my side, so Bud/Buddy he became (like the song, My buddy, wherever I go, he goes) Hope you don’t mind one more picture of our little ham

amylou321 thanked OneRidgeOff
  • kadefol
    6 years ago

Congrats on the new addition, what a beauty. Muffin suits her well. Your SO is a great guy for rescuing her. Fingers and toes crossed the skin issue is minor.

amylou321 thanked kadefol