SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbpz8b

Duchesse de Brabant transplanting problems, please help

JBP (zone 8b/9a)
6 years ago

Everyone on this board has been so helpful in the past that I wanted to seek your advice and input again. I moved my established Duchesse de Brabant and Climbing Old Blush roses from my old to my new house at the beginning of November. Old Blush has taken off and even started to flower already with lots of new buds. The Duchesse, however, is struggling. Before transplanting her, I removed about 1/4 of the growth (I couldn’t do more than that because it was a rental place and I had to do it quickly as the new tenants were already moving in). Since transplanting her into my new house, I additionally pruned her so that altogether she has been pruned by about 1/3. I am concerned that I can lose her because she’s not leafing out, even after four months since transplanting her, and there are some dark red blotches on many of her canes. The canes are generally green, though some are also brown (I removed all of the dead ones).

Here are some pictures of how she looks now. Can anyone advise me about what I should do to revive and save my Duchesse? She’s a sentimental favorite and I don’t want to lose her. I already gave her some alfalfa tea two weeks ago and will give her more this weekend. Should I prune her more? If so, how much? Anything else I can do at this point? Thank you all.

Comments (21)