SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonitapplebum

Critique/comment on my lighting plan for an awkwardly long sitting ro

bonitapplebum
6 years ago

All pictures are at the end of the post:

This is a long room with a tall 25 ft high ceiling and currently is mostly unfurnished and badly needs lighting/existing fixtures replaced. I have begun to order furniture and made this plan in hopes of ordering the lighting immediately and getting it installed before all the furniture will arrive (some stuff takes weeks) so we can at least have lighting asap.

I read that you should have multiple lighting sources, so I have sourced ceiling pendants + wall scones + table/floor lamps as my 3 sources. I will use led + dimmers on everything possible. Is this enough lighting? Does all the lighting I picked complement each other? I'm leaning towards lighting that does not sit on the floor just keep things looking clean and uncluttered.

I'm having some trouble figuring out the front door lighting situation as described below - should the light go above or next to door?

(Any critiques of my furniture layout also appreciated. I found that many long rooms use sitting zones to help divide up the area. If you have any ideas that should replace mine, please let me know.... are there too many chairs? This room is difficult to plan)

Lighting colored coded in next image

Yellow - Ceiling pendants, 2 large in room, and 1 small over staircase

Red - Wall articulating scones over bookcase and by front door (either next to door or above it)

Blue - table lamps

Green - floor lamp

Not pictured: Both sofas will have large scale paintings above them and I am still looking for extra long art lighting (those horizontal bar looking things) to light up the art.

Below are the lights that I have found and liked so far to use. I have purchased ceiling lights but still have to order the rest.

Yellow Large Ceiling Pendant - 50" by 70" on dimmer. Smaller version of this above stairs :

Red - Wall articulating scones - 3 over bookcase and 1 by front door (either next to door or above it) :

Should the front door light be next to the front door or above it? Below is a photo of the front door area:

Green + Blue: The lights in this collection all come in the same brass + linen shade as the wall articulating lights. I wanted to use the 2 variants of the table lamps for Green and the floor lamp for the Blue :

More pictures of the room:

Comments (18)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm