SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kris_dow

What pro for whole home remodeling?

KD
6 years ago

We’re very early stages (still working through if it will work for us) of considering remodeling a house that is in the family. (I‘ve posted about it a little bit before.) One of the big factors we’re trying to work out is what our budget would need to be, and part of that is which pro or pros we will need to hire. None of us want to oversee the whole project so we definitely need a general contracor, but I’m wondering if we should also be budgeting for an architect and some sort of interior space/design help? I don’t think we need someone to do everything down to the curtains, but I do think we’re likely to want some help on things like kitchen and bathroom surfaces, flooring, etc.

As far as we know, the house structure is not hiding any major surprises - no one has opened up a wall without putting a support beam in or anything like that. However it does need to be updated in general (it last had major things like cabinets done in the early 80s) and we would like to at least investigate adding some windows and possibly changing the flat roof on the addition to one with some pitch (because flat roofs do not ‘go’ with our weather) which I think we’d want an architect for?

Right now we’re just trying to make sure we have the right lines on our estimated budget so we don’t start and discover we can’t finish. We are expecting it to be Not Cheap to do all of this, but the market is such that we likely won’t be over-improving the house except in areas we’ve already decided we don’t care about resale. (Ex. we buy kitchen appliances based on what we can afford and what we enjoy using, not what is in keeping with the overall house value, because cooking on appliances we don’t like using makes us both cranky.) There is, however, Not Cheap and NOT CHEAP, if you see what I mean. We don’t want to be thinking Not Cheap and get NOT CHEAP instead once we’ve started working on it.

(And yes, the budget will include contingency money, because I know something ALWAYS surprises you.)

Comments (8)