SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheri127

Would you replace front this door?

cheri127
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Because of scheduling and lead times, we couldn't use the fantastic shop we wanted to make our front door. We hired another local artisan, who came highly recommended, (same high price) and he delivered us a highly questionable product that we never should have installed, but to stay on schedule, we did.

Shortly after install, in August, the door swelled and wouldn't close. It's spanish cedar and was primed with Kilz. The builder's carpenter trimmed the hinge side of the door and he did a lousy job rehanging it. The door isn't square in the opening and hasn't closed right since. During the winter, the door shrunk back and the handle side was too far from the jamb causing even more problems when closing the door. You could also see daylight, so the weatherstripping at this point was useless. We had the hinges shimmed to center the door in the opening but it's still not square and the weatherstripping needs to be replaced. The door maker has been stalling since September about coming to the site and making this right.

In addition, the door was delivered with the wrong threshold. I have no idea what the man was thinking, but he installed a threshold for an out swing door! This is an easy fix but while measuring for a new, interlocking threshold, I saw that the sill is perfectly level; it doesn't slope to the outside to let water run off. I know the wood is rot resistant and it's painted, adding an additional layer of protection and it's also under a small porch, but this is a beach house so I'm concerned that it won't hold up to the harsh conditions down there.

The question is should we fix the door and live with it's imperfections while hoping the sill doesn't rot? Or should we suck it up and have the door guy we wanted to use make us a new, perfect door? As much as I hate spending the money, I'm more worried about the unintended consequences of removing the existing door and possibly damaging the Hardie artisan siding. Do you think spanish cedar is robust enough last 20-30 years under these circumstances?

I'm most concerned about water pooling where the jamb meets the sill.

Comments (6)