SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ac91z6

Suggestions for a shady spot

ac91z6
6 years ago

This spot would be too much shade for modern rebloomers, and most rebloomers in general. Well, at least in northern z6a it is. I was thinking it would be a good place to put some once-blooming OGRs (Albas and Gallicas), "Therese Bugnet" and/or another rugosa, and a Hybrid Musk (Buff Beauty is the front-runner) or two. But would it be too much for even these stalwarts?

The right corner in the pic (North corner) is too shaded and has too much competition (currently) from a 'hedge' of what I believe is some kind of privet. I'd like to do something just past the yews (which don't look too bad, in person) and go to the northernmost cedar tree in the line. I'd really like to screen the neighbor's shed.

Nothing is going to be planted directly under the cedar trees - I'd be digging holes at or almost to the dripline of the cedars. I've thought about some of the bigger Austins ('Malvern Hills', if I could find it anywhere reasonably priced) and I'd be fine if they only bloomed once, but I'm worried it would be too much shade for even that.

CHALLENGES:

Shade. So much shade. The cedars are limbed up, and not very dense, as you can see. The big trees are walnuts and an unidentified variety, but neither have a dense canopy. It's not a dense shade, but it's only about 4 hours of sun, tops.

Water. Cedar trees, enough said. I'm willing to lug buckets for the first two years, and that's it. Irrigation isn't an option back there right now, and I doubt it ever will be.

Property line - I'd rather not have something that suckers like crazy (sorry 'Charles de Mills', you're out) and runs onto my neighbor's property. I'd also like to pick roses that aren't thorn monsters, so errant branches can't bite the neighbors.

I already have a 'Madame Legras de St. Germain' coming from RU, but I think I could put it on the other side of that forsynthia on the south. If anyone can suggest other plants that would work here, I'm open to suggestions!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!