SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krisbry

Appliance shopping makes me feel like a Luddite...

Kristin S
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

After seemingly endless appliance shopping online I went to the store to see the options in person today. It seems all the lines are all about adding touch controls, full-color LCDs, preprogrammed cooking, etc.. I look at those and find it hard to understand why I'd want them, as they seem unnecessary, more likely to break, and more likely to become obsolete and take the appliance with them, and, of course, take the prices up. As for the preprogrammed cooking features, I'm not sure how that's worth thousands of dollars (often the price difference) when my recipes have times and temps on them already. My husband and I are in our 30/40's and are very tech savvy, but we find ourselves preferring options with knobs and basic settings over the more "full-featured" options.

So, is there something I'm missing here? Am I really just a Luddite? Assuming one is a reasonably skilled cook, is there a reason that these touch screen, preprogrammed appliances are better than their lower-end, knob-having counterparts? If, budget-wise, a low-end Miele oven with knob controls is about the same price as a Bosch Benchmark oven with touchscreen, which is more valuable. For reference, we're looking at things like the Miele ovens with knobs, the mid-range Bosch ovens, and the BlueStar induction cooktop as our knob-having options (v. Bosch Benchmark with LCD screen, Bosch or Miele induction cooktop, etc.).

Comments (26)