SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toastr

Need some suggestions on plantings and steps

toastr
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

In the process of renovating a house that was *this close* to being condemned. .

Looking for suggestions on plantings around a retaining wall and front steps. I have lots of nice, wooded scenery but would like to add some color. I'm in MA, the front gets a reasonable amount of sun.

Summer 2015. This is the 'what have I gotten myself into' phase. Lots of poison ivy.

Ok, painted the house and door (which was subsequently replaced but will be the same color again). Work on the retaining wall has started. The raised addition will have a section of fence extending to the left of the house.

Here's the wall. It's not yet capped or acid washed. It should be a little more consistent and lighter once it's done.

Here are the steps -

You can't really make it out in the wider pictures above but there are two long, large rocks, slightly elevated serving as a front steps. I'd like to keep these somehow - e.g. I could box them in with corten steel and fill in the gaps with pea stone.

The rock on the bottom (with the mat) is probably 7 inches above the next two which are about 5 inches above the rest. The wall above is just to the right, probably 2 feet.

Comments (4)