Questions about native trees (zone 6b)

canishel(z7 TN)

Does Styrax americanus need as much sun as Halesia spp.? I have an area that stays moist but it is shaded, surrounded by hickory and black walnut trees. I planted a silverbell that grew, but it leaned towards an open area, so I moved it. I'd like to plant "something" in that location.

Next question: Is there any reason NOT to plant a hoptree? I have an open area (full sun) that can fit it. Also, is there any reason NOT to plant an Allegheny chinquapin?

Thanks for any advice.

SaveComment4Like
Comments (4)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs z4b-5a NH

What tree is a hoptree - do you know the scientific name?

Save    
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

I'd imagine it's Ptelea trifoliata, a.k.a. wafer ash. It's a host plant for the giant swallowtail. I've looked at this a number of times but just don't have the space for it in my yard. The main reason I can think of not to plant it is that it's not particularly ornamental. It's the sort of irregular, shrubby tree that grows at the edge of the woods.

You might consider asking about it on the Butterfly Garden forum, or just doing a search there.

Save    
NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Thanks, WoodsTea. I have hop hornbeam, Ostrya virginiana, but don't know anything about Ptelea.

Save    
canishel(z7 TN)

Yes, it's Ptelea trifoliata. I didn't think to write it. I'm going to try it at the edge of the woods.

Thanks for your help.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides 6 Native Goldenrods Worth a Second Look
Goldenrod gets a bad rap as being aggressive, but these more mannerly choices offer a bunch of benefits
Full Story
Landscape Design Flood-Tolerant Native Trees for Soggy Soil
Swampy sites, floodplains, even standing water ... if you've got a soggy landscape, these trees are for you
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More