SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erasmus_gw

OT: Cataracts and eye glasses

erasmus_gw
6 years ago

I've always had vision good enough that I didn't have to wear glasses except for driving . Last year my vision deteriorated a lot. I guess it has been deteriorating a few years but very markedly last year. I hadn't been to an optometrist or eye doctor in maybe 15 years. So I finally went to an opthalmologist and found out I had cataracts in both eyes. In early January I had cataract surgery on my left eye. I wasn't sure if I'd have difficulty adjusting to seeing better! I was used to fuzzy vision.

Well, the surgery was easy. Had to use eye drops for about a month though. There was no pain at all. After the surgery my vision was terrible...it looked like I was looking through a couple of layers of waxed paper, every light had a big halo around it, and there was a purple cast to everything. It slowly cleared out, and now I can see clearly out of that eye. In my right eye my vision is still bad, and I can tell just how bad. In that eye it looks like a brown haze is over everything and I can't see much detail. It is like a drink of water for a thirsty person to see better through my left eye. Colors are so much brighter, especially blue.

The only trouble is, I couldn't afford the lenses that allow you to focus close up and far away, so now my close up vision is worse. I'll have to wear reading glasses. Right now my right eye sees close up, and left sees distance. Will be getting my right eye done in April, right when I want to be working outside.

My eye doctor wears some neat reading glasses that have a band around the back of his head, and which open and close in front with magnets. When he doesn't want to use them he flips them open, and they just stick out on the sides of his head. I think I want to get some of those for working outside. Might want to get tinted lenses because the new lens they put in my eye lets in a lot more light. It is brighter outside.

There are blue blocking reading glasses also that can help because computers put out a lot of this blue light, and it's a little too bright. It is a bit of an adjustment. If I look at white out of my old eye it looks creamy colored, like parchment. The new eye sees a starker white. I tend to like warm white, but overall I'm happy with the colors. Just thought I'd mention it for anyone who notices their vision going downhill.

Comments (20)