Browned Flour and a better way to make gravy.
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (14)
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
Corn Flour vs Brown Rice Flour
Comments (14)Oh, no! Bad sentence on my part. Southern California. We had a wonderful Syrian bakery that made brilliant pita. I still miss them. My heart breaks for what has happened there, but I've never been to Syria. You haven't said why you're eschewing "enriched flour" and don't need to, but white flour products are required by law to use vitamin enriched flour, and even most home baking white flour (bleached or unbleached) is enriched and has a little malted barley flour in it as well, which has a lot of an enzyme that's needed for rising. Unless you have a specific problem with one or more of the vitamins or the barley, the enrichment shouldn't be a problem. Maybe you're just concerned that there's white flour in there. White flour is often added to whole wheat flour to make the rise spongier. Sometimes vital wheat gluten is added to strengthen the gluten (the bran in the whole wheat can weaken or cut it). Wheat gluten can be isolated by hand by washing the wheat and kneading out the starch, and has been done for centuries, so it's not a weird industrial product. Anything that's made with white flour in the U.S. uses enriched flour. There may be some places that mill and sift their own flours that do not, but that's an extremely rare exception. Therefore, I would guarantee that the Lebanese pita are made with enriched flour. The thinner thing is probably a lack of leavening. Even in the Middle East, nowadays, the pita have leavening and are a bit spongy. That's not traditional. :) I haven't seen Kontos, and I'd guess it's an East Coast brand. I don't doubt that it's good! Whole Foods might be a better place to get 100% whole wheat, however, unless you can find a Middle Eastern or halal store where people are into the "new" kind of dietary laws (no white flour, pasture raise livestock, etc.). Maybe try stores near the colleges? College kids tend to be into better eating. Turlock is from California. I know they freeze to ship it to avoid preservatives, so you might find it there, but more likely the Whole Foods have something local. Good luck on your quest....See MoreWoody's Make Ahead Gravy - HELP!
Comments (3)It will turn back to liquid as it heats, no worry. The gelatinous nature just means that it will be rich, as home made stock should be. The thin layer on top is fat. You can scrape it off. Don't worry if you scrape a little stock off with it, when you heat it before mixing in the flour, it will evaporate and leave it's flavor behind. The darker layer at bottom just contains the "sediment"...again, don't worry. Were you trying to make clear broth, there are things you could do to remove the sediment, but for gravy there is no need. Just in case...if your gravy should form lumps, despite vigorous whisking, just use a stick blender or if you don't have one, a regular blender, to puree them out. The gravy will likely thicken more if you refrigerate it, so when you reheat, be sure to do so over a fairly low heat and stir occasionally so you don't scorch it after all your work....See MoreNo brown bits for gravy
Comments (11)I'm wondering why you get so much liquid out of your turkey. Is it a frozen one? Could it be one of those injected with water to plump and increase the weight? I put a few veg under the rack before roasting eg onion, carrot and some branches of rosemary or thyme or bay leaves. When making the gravy I put the pan on a high heat before adding the flour. Always comes out brown. For a deeper colour you can add some soy sauce or marmite. Beer or red wine deepen the colour too. Sometimes I use a gravy separator but usually I don't bother....See MoreMake ahead gravy from turkey wings?
Comments (35)I don't make my turkey gravy ahead, but I do use home made chicken stock to add to the stuff in the pan to amke more. Usually I take the giblets miins the liver which I don't like the flavor of in my gravy, and while the turkey is roasting, I boil them and the neck with a chunked up onion, andt he leaves from the celery I put into the dressing a bay leaf, some pepper corns and salt and sillmer that, adding water as needed, for about as long as the turkey is cooking>. As for thickening, I always use flour because I like the taste....but for when a Gluten free friend comes for dinner. I find corn starch can get "ropey" when over cooked....then it goes thin and watery. Tapioca flour is a good alternative. Lots of gravy is a good thing.....good for the leftovers too!...See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDES8 Ways to Make What You Have Better
You don’t necessarily need a full reset. Try building on the things you already own to create fresh new decor
Full Story
BEDROOMS7 Ways to Make a Small Bedroom Look Bigger and Work Better
Max out on comfort and function in a mini space with built-ins, wall mounts and decorating tricks that fool the eye
Full Story
ART8 Ways Vermeer’s Work Can Make Its Mark in Your Home
Go Dutch with stained glass, Oriental rugs, checkered floors and delft tile
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGN‘The Less Is More Garden’: 3 Ways to Make Any Space Feel Bigger
The author of a new landscape design book shows how subtle design moves can help make the most of your outdoor space
Full Story
LIGHTING3 Ways LED Lights Are Better Than Ever
See how improved technology has made LED lightbulbs smaller, brighter and more colorful
Full Story
MOST POPULAR12 Key Decorating Tips to Make Any Room Better
Get a great result even without an experienced touch by following these basic design guidelines
Full Story
LAUNDRY ROOMS8 Ways to Make the Most of Your Laundry Room
These super-practical laundry room additions can help lighten your load
Full Story
SMALL KITCHENS12 Ways to Make Your Kitchen Look and Feel Bigger
Try these clever design moves to get more storage and create a roomier feel
Full Story
MOST POPULAR40 Dogs Who Are Having a Way Better Summer Than You
Houzzers share pics of their canine companions living it up — or getting down with relaxing — on warm days
Full Story
FLOORS10 Ways to Make the Most of Your Home’s Original Floors
Save yourself the cost of replacing your old floorboards with these tips for a new finish
Full Story
User