Make ahead gravy from turkey wings?
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (35)
Related Discussions
Make ahead Stuffing & Gravy question
Comments (7)I would not add smoked juices to the gravy either. Not everyone likes too much of that flavor. I just assemble my stuffing and then bake it the next day. I even tried the make-ahead mashed potatoes this year. Less mess and dishes on turkey day. Just remember to take the dishes out and try to bring them to room temp a few hours before they go in the oven or add cooking time to the recipe. It might be cold in the middle if you use the original cooking time. I have time change notes on all of my make-ahead recipes....See MoreWoody's Make Ahead Gravy - HELP!
Comments (3)It will turn back to liquid as it heats, no worry. The gelatinous nature just means that it will be rich, as home made stock should be. The thin layer on top is fat. You can scrape it off. Don't worry if you scrape a little stock off with it, when you heat it before mixing in the flour, it will evaporate and leave it's flavor behind. The darker layer at bottom just contains the "sediment"...again, don't worry. Were you trying to make clear broth, there are things you could do to remove the sediment, but for gravy there is no need. Just in case...if your gravy should form lumps, despite vigorous whisking, just use a stick blender or if you don't have one, a regular blender, to puree them out. The gravy will likely thicken more if you refrigerate it, so when you reheat, be sure to do so over a fairly low heat and stir occasionally so you don't scorch it after all your work....See MoreA PSA about Make Ahead Turkey Gravy
Comments (6)Ironically, I do this method for all kinds of bone broth and I make it several times a year with meaty bones I collect from cooking, or those I buy when they are drastically reduced, and store in the freezer until I have about 10# of bones per batch, and make it with poultry, beef, and occasionally a ham bone and/or ham hocks. Pour the strained and reduced stock into a shallow cake pan, chill until it gels, cut into cubes, place the cubes on a plate lined with paper towels and leave them in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours more to dehydrate a little, which makes them a little more solid from loss of moisture, and the flavor concentrates. Next, place the cubes in containers in the freezer, or I'll freeze the cubes and place them in a FoodSaver bag and vacuum-seal them for longer freezer storage. These are my "instant" bouillon cubes for making flavorful sauces, gravy, broth.... Never buy instant bouillon cubes or granules ever again. I also have some ice cube trays I use only for food (not ice), and I'll make the cubes in them. -Grainlady...See MoreWoodie's Make Ahead Gravy
Comments (14)Jeri, thank you, I hadn't seen your make ahead au jus. I like its fundamentals -- roasted soup bones and beef shank and onions. I will probably triple the onions, then deglaze the roasting pan with some red wine (a la Woodie's turkey gravy) and then proceed with additional stock, carrots, and celery for lengthy simmering. Strained it should make a great au jus. I'll probably gravy-tize it with a roux and stir in sauteed mushrooms and lots of ground pepper at the end. (Ummm, only 24 days til Christmas . . .)...See More- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
Related Stories

MOVINGMaking a Home Away From Home
Feeling like a stranger in a strange land? These tips can help ease the transition after a big move
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEWhat Really Makes Us Happy at Home? Find Out From a New Houzz Survey
Great design has a powerful impact on our happiness in our homes. So do good cooking smells, family conversations and, yes, big-screen TVs
Full Story
MOST POPULARSo You Say: 30 Design Mistakes You Should Never Make
Drop the paint can, step away from the brick and read this remodeling advice from people who’ve been there
Full Story
MOST POPULARThanksgiving Tales: When the Turkey Tanks
Houzz readers prove adept at snatching victory from the jaws of entertaining defeat
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME12 Very Useful Things I've Learned From Designers
These simple ideas can make life at home more efficient and enjoyable
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESA Glimmer of Gold Leaf Will Make Your Room Shine
Make a unique, unexpected statement in any space with this precious metallic finish
Full Story
LIFE13 Ways to Make Your Thanksgiving More Meaningful
Long after the stove is off, you'll feel the warmth of love and gratitude when you try these ideas this Thanksgiving
Full Story
FUN HOUZZDon’t Be a Stickybeak — and Other Home-Related Lingo From Abroad
Need to hire a contractor or buy a certain piece of furniture in the U.K. or Australia? Keep this guide at hand
Full Story
INSIDE HOUZZBaby Boomers Are Making Remodeling Changes With Aging in Mind
Walk-in tubs, curbless showers and nonslip floors are popular features, the 2018 U.S. Houzz Bathroom Trends Study finds
Full Story
LIFE9 Ways to Make the Most of Your Thanksgiving Weekend
Get ready to eat well, share kindnesses, head outdoors and take notes for next year
Full Story



annie1992