SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeri

Woody's Make Ahead Gravy - HELP!

jeri
13 years ago

I followed (or tried to) Woody's Make Ahead Gravy (aka Cook's Country Gravy), but I'm confused by what I have. I followed the directions below (using 6 Turkey wings) through step 2. I refrigerated this over night and the bowl is completely gelatinous! I did a Google and I'm not completely sure this is a bad thing, but how do I make this into gravy?

Also, I did skim the top - but I'm not sure how much fat there is. There was a very thin layer of a light tan color on top - is that the fat? There was a bit more below this thin layer that was more translucent than the dark gel below - is that the fat? It was all gelatinous though.

Help!

Here is the recipe for reference:

COOKS COUNTRY - MAKE AHEAD GRAVY

Makes about 2 quarts

For more flavor, after roasting the turkey you can skim the drippings from the pan and add them to the gravy just before serving. It's best to discard the strong-tasting liver before using the giblets. This recipe makes enough to accompany a large turkey and still have plenty for leftovers.

6 turkey drumsticks, thighs, or wings

reserved turkey giblets

reserved turkey neck

2 carrots, chopped coarse

1 head garlic, halved

2 ribs celery, chopped coarse

2 onions, chopped coarse

Vegetable oil spray

10cups low-sodium chicken broth

2 cups dry white wine

12 sprigs fresh thyme

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Table salt and ground black pepper

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Place giblets, neck, drumsticks, carrots, celery, onions, and garlic in roasting pan, spray with vegetable oil, and toss well. Roast, stirring occasionally, until well browned, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

2. Transfer contents of roasting pan to Dutch oven. Add broth, wine, and thyme and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until reduced by half, about 1 1/2 hours. Pour through fine-mesh strainer into large container (discard solids), cover stock with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until fat congeals, at least 2 hours.

3. Using soup spoon, skim fat and reserve. Heat 1/2 cup fat in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until bubbling. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, until honey colored, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in stock, bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (Gravy can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months.) Reheat gravy in saucepan over medium heat until bubbling.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company