SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeri

Make ahead Au Jus

jeri
13 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I will be serving Prime Rib for Christmas Dinner - there will be 14 of us.

1. I would like to serve small cups of Au Jus on each plate - or at least have it available for those who want it.

2. Should I serve Gravy and Au Jus? Mashed potatoes would be the easiest potato dish to serve with the roast - do I need to have gravy for this dish? If so, I would need the Au Jus to make gravy from.

3. I want to serve Yorkshire pudding so I probably need Au Jus for this as well.

It looks like I will need quite a bit of Au Jus and I would love to make it ahead of time if possible. I had such great luck with Woody's Make Ahead Gravy for Thanksgiving, I'm now spoiled! :-)

I found this recipe (Exported from MasterCook) and wanted to see what you all thought...

8 pounds soup bones

4 pounds shank beef

1 onion - unpeeled

1 rib celery

1 peeled carrot

Roast in 350 deg. Oven soup bones, shank beef, and onion. Roast till brown (do not burn). In a large soup kettle place a rib of celery, carrot and the browned bones, meat and onion. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 8 hours. Skim any foam that rises. Strain the broth, and refrigerate. The next day remove the fat cap, reheat the broth and strain through cheesecloth. Adjust seasoning (salt).

Thanks!

Jeri

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!