SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecomputers

Why in the world do I want to get in touch with her?

ilovecomputers
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

About 10 years ago I worked for a company with multiple locations and attended a lot of week-long training sessions in another state. I met another employee—I’ll call her Christine--at one of those sessions and we got to be really good friends, though we lived in different states. The company we worked for had an instant messaging system and she would often instant message me during the day. Sometimes I would tell her I was under a deadline to get something done and I couldn’t talk, and she would pout and give me the silent treatment for a day or so. It turns out she was having a long-standing affair with another man. On Facebook she would post loving messages about her husband but she was meeting the other guy at bars and motels in the city they all lived in. I encouraged her to get marriage counseling and they did get counseling for a while to help their blended family dynamic work. Talk of her affair never came up. I caught Christine lying to me more than once. For example, she told me one day that her boss—I’ll call her Annie—who was out of the office--had asked Christine to search through Annie’s emails for a really important email that Annie thought she might have cc’d Christine on. While searching for that, Christine came across a really nasty email that Annie had sent to someone else that called Christine a lazy, fat cow, etc. Christine was very upset, and when I asked her why she didn’t sit down and talk to Annie about it, Christine said she couldn’t because Christine would get in trouble. It seems to me that the only way Christine could get into trouble is if Christine was not authorized to go through those emails. I told Christine she shouldn’t lie to me; that there was no reason to lie to me and it was disrespectful. Christine stalked her boyfriend’s wife’s Facebook account. Apparently the wife’s settings were not private and Christine kept a close eye on all of their activities. Christine’s boyfriend said he was going out of town on a work conference for a week, but the wife’s Facebook page had all the details about their vacation in the Caribbean. I asked her several times why she would want someone who lied to her and cheated on his wife, that he would almost certainly cheat on her too. Her response had something to do with low self esteem from a bad childhood she’d had. A couple of years ago, Christine caught her boyfriend cheating on Christine with a really young woman. Christine was furious. I pointed out to her that she had been just as deceitful with her husband. I told her she had not been fair with her husband or her children and she needed help to get over her obsession. Lastly I told her that if she were my wife, I would throw her out. Christine unfriended me on Facebook and cut all ties with me. Why do I miss her? She never saw the irony that cheating on her husband was acceptable to her but her boyfriend cheating on her and his wife was not. Last night I had a dream about Christine and it made me kind of miss her. She was like a sister to me. We had a lot of fun and laughs together, although she rarely asked me about my life. Last I knew, her boyfriend was moving out of town and they were planning to hook up in the other city. She was simply going to tell her husband she was another work conference. Should I get in touch with Christine? I imagine
she’ll just tell me to f* off. Sorry so long!

Comments (45)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!