SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_rindone

Neighbor Badmouthing Property to Potential Buyers

Kristin K
6 years ago

I don't post much, but I'm at a loss of what to do. My house has been on the market for 190 days - priced right, adorable and move-in ready. We have had a TON of showings with fantastic feedback, but no interest and we have no idea why....until today. The house had yet another showing yesterday and the buyers agent called my agent to let her know about a run-in with a neighbor. The neighbor told her and her buyer that the house was a flip and there have been renovation nightmares. This lady also told the agent that every time she sees someone at the house, she tells them this so that a buyer knows about these major issues.

Let me know just clear something up right now. This house has never been a flip, ever, and does not have "major issues". Everything from the roof to the electrical, HVAC, ducting etc. is less than 10 years old and runs like a top. The house 2 doors down is a flip so maybe they're confusing that?

Regardless, the damage is done. We don't know how long this person has been sabotaging our home sale and we don't know who this person is. The agent said this buyer yesterday really loved the house but changed her mind after speaking with the neighbor. My agent cleared the air with her and said that it was all a misunderstanding and showed her tax records to prove we weren't lying. This is the first agent to ever tell us about this neighbor.

So....what can we do? What can be done, if anything? Do I need to send friends to go look at my house in hopes of IDing the neighbor so I can confront them? My realtor and I now firmly believe that if it wasn't for this neighbor, we would have sold the house long ago....

Comments (30)