SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ljbshouse

Waaay Past Time to Update My Home Office and I Need Help

ljbshouse
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I traveled a lot in my previous job which left little time to do anything to the house. I am home now and want to start making the my home more appealing so I am starting with my home office. I have a small budget because I have a lot more updating to do in the rest of the house.

This is a working office and just functional. I would like it to look and feel nice because I do spend a lot of time in here. I admit I do not know how to accessorize to make the house look 'finished'. I like the color scheme of the curtains and would like to keep them. I also like the wall color but it needs to be refreshed so I am open to suggestions to change it. The wood trim is throughout the house and it will need to stay just by default. I know what a big project it would be to change it.

I would like to keep a view out the window and want to change the old L shaped desk to a writer's style desk (the one in the photo is 66x34 inches). My issue is whether it will be big enough for the large monitor I have. I have two small closets in the room that I currently use for storage of office supplies, files, etc. and have room store more. There is a two drawer file cabinet that I rarely use but should, particularly to remove the stuff from the built in desk area. I thought about placing an individual coffee maker there with teas & accessories.

The other issue is that there are lots of cords because the phone/cable are installed in this room. So between the computer, speakers, (no printer right now because the last one died and I am not replacing it until the room is finished), etc., there is a lot of clutter under the desk now.

The blue carpet was here when we bought the house, it's old and way past time for it to be replaced. The area rug is in it's current location it because of a kid spill to cover a stain! I know the recliner is big but it is so comfortable to sit and read. The room is 13x13 not counting the built in desk alcove and the expanded area with the bay window, both of which are around 2 ft at the deepest.

I have been stealthily perusing the site for a long time looking for ideas and I seen hundreds. However, my brain doesn't work in a way to apply them and I just got up the nerve to post something. I have seen some extraordinary, wonderful comments so please be gentle with a newbie. Thanks!

Comments (38)