SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

Big changes going on here

Lisa Adams
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

There’s lots of work going on in my garden. It all started with receiving the wonderful gift of some rare and special roses from Cliff’s Low Desert Garden. With the help of Cliff, I also chose a few roses for my daughter’s best friend, Sarah. I had been ill for a while, and was having trouble planting everything, especially since I was already behind with pruning and maintenance. As a wonderful surprise gift, Sarah sent me a check to have someone plant the new roses! I was humbled and grateful to her for thinking of me. This past weekend I had Javier ( the man who removed my hedge and planted roses for me before) come. Javier had noticed before that the wood holding my slope back was deteriorating, and soil was sliding into the bed below. First he came during the week to see what needed planting. On Friday afternoon, he showed up unexpectedly and dropped off a bunch of wood from another job. I was confused. With my few words of Spanish, and his broken English, he explained that he received the wood for free, and that he planned to replace the old wood. I explained that the money was for planting the roses, and that I just wasn’t in a position to have the “wall” done right now. I was very surprised when he said, “Es no problem, Senorita. Me so happy your Daddy hire me to come every week to his house, from you tell him I good worker. I do for you.” Well, this is true. I did recommend him to my parents, now that my dad is slowing down, and needs someone in the yard. My father pays him well, and has mentioned to him that when all my roses are planted, he has another job for Javier. That job will be putting in my drip irrigation.

I feel overwhelmed by blessings! First Ingrid so kindly offered me my dream rose, ‘Annie Laurie McDowell’, which I hope to pick up next week. Then Cliff reduced his rose garden, and gave away some really special roses. I lucked out, and BOTH my sons were able to go with me twice to go dig them up, two hours away, all day digging. Then Sarah sent some of her mother’s inheritance money to various charities that were dear to her mother’s heart(animals), and included me, for being her “other mother”. Then Javier did far more than just plant roses, to show his gratitude for the steady income at my parents, and the prospect of putting in my drip irrigation. ( He’s insisted that I don’t show my Dad his work here, until he finishes it up. He really wants to impress him, although I told him we WILL be hiring him for the irrigation, regardless.)

That’s my long winded story of what’s been happening around here. I’ve finally shovel pruned my first roses! Those that were poor performers could stay while I had the space, but not when I had “more important” roses to plant. Winchester Cathedral, The Pilgrim, and Claire Rose are gone. My virused Mary Rose is gone. Brilliant Pink Iceberg is supposed to be gone, but again that root must go down to China, so we’ll see. Oh yes, Queen of Sweden is gone. I had to run to Home Depot three times during the work, and before I left I wisely hid ‘Louise Clements’ inside my house. I didn’t want a repeat of the last time. (Same guy) I really need to send her to her new home.

I should have taken some “before” pictures. What I have now are “in progress” pictures. My beds had become a jumble of overgrown annuals, perennials, and weeds. I’ve got one shot that will give you an idea of what was going on, before.

Same spot shown below, this morning. He did take some liberty pruning my Duchesse de Brabant, and he tore out some precious plants along with the undesirables. I tried to rescue as many as possible. I know a block retaining wall would be ideal here, but it’s just not in the budget.

Alnwick Castle a few days ago, below.

And now, shown below. Probably will cut the posts down even with the rest of the wood. I’m still deciding if I could use them like that for something.

Ran out of paint here, but I did go get more.

A shot of the shady side of the slope.

Comice de Tarn-et-Garonne settling into ‘The Pilgrim’s’ former spot. She was heavily sprayed and drenched, so she has some residue on her leaves, but I wanted to be extra careful about bug transmission.

I have buckets and buckets of plants I’m hoping to save that were in his way. I found them in his rubbish pile:(

Haha! I just noticed my Sloggers in this picture. I live in these shoes. Anyway that’s whats been going on here, a lot of hard work. I’m exhausted from the weekend, but very thankful for everything. I mean really, for all the sad things in the world, I have so many wonderful people in my life. I have so much to be thankful for! Lisa

Comments (75)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus