SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitecat8

Changing from T8s to big honkin' cfls?

whitecat8
16 years ago

Apologies if this is in a recent e-mail about lights - if you could name the thread, I'll go there.

Otherwise, here's the deal. I've got 2 shelves w/ two 48" T8s above each shelf - not the 4 bulbs above each that often are recommended. Lights are on 16 hours a day, year-round.

Two supplemental growing areas have one cfl each in one of those round, bright gray metal (ugly) clamp fixtures. The GE bulbs are labeled 120V, 60Hz, 42W.

Natural light comes from a 5'x5' E/SE window w/ no obstructions.

Most everything blooms once a year - Phals, Phrags, Paphs and numerous "intermediate" light plants. However, my buddy w/ Halogen track lights has some of the same plants blooming twice a year.

Then, Clara, you said that you'd gotten stronger cfls from an online site, thanks to Howard, and I didn't save the info and have no idea which thread it was in.

Cfls are more appealing for a number of reasons. Vandas don't send me, but it'd be nice to grow plants that need a bit more light - some of the angs, for example.

Questions:

1. What size bulbs should I consider?

2. How far from the plants do the stronger cfls need to be, compared to two T8s?

3. What kind of fixtures do they go in?

4. How many bulbs would you need for a shelf that's 72"x24"? Almost 60" of the top shelf are in front of that E/SE window. Plants on the bottom shelf get some direct sun but hardly as much.

5. How long should they be on each day, and should the length of time vary by time of year?

6. Will these bulbs increase chances that plants will bloom twice or more a year, if the plant's prone to it anyway?

7. What questions am I not asking?

Excited, Whitecat8

Comments (3)