SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jess111_gw

Glare from kitchen recessed lights-CFL bulbs

jess111
16 years ago

The lighting forum doesnt get much action, so I figured I'd ask all of you that have CFL bulbs how you make them work in your Kitchens. I have (I think) 5" cans and the CFL equivalent of 65W R30 bulbs-15 W CFL. The bulbs hang below the edge of the can because they are longer than the incandescents. If you even look at the fixture, the light is glaring. In pics, it shows up like a comet, LOL. I tried swapping them out for the R20 equivalents, and the issues are 1) too dim and 2) even though the trims are somewhat cone shaped, you can see the inside of the housing around the bulb if you look straight up at them whereas you can't see anything if the bulb is R30 sized.

These lights are on more than any other in the house since the kitchen is attached to my family room. I really want to switch to the CFLs, and the bulbs I have give off enough light-but how do I address this glare? It really seems to take away from the kitchen & I don't think it would be as bad if the bulb were shorter so it sat inside the trim fully.

Here's an example of the glare in a pic:

Comments (13)