SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soonermagic

Hopefully Last Decision -- Light Bulbs for Recessed Cans

soonermagic
16 years ago

Three weeks away from move-in and just when I thought all decisions were made for the house, the electrian has asked what type of light bulbs I want in my recessed fixtures. Most of the cans are 6" Halo; some are 4" Halo. I'm using a wheat haze trim downstairs (9 foot ceilings) and plain white trim upstairs (8 foot ceilings).

I originally said CFLs, as I'd love to be more enviro-friendly (and save on electricity). But, electrician informed me that he does not know of any reliable CFLs that are dimmable. I've spent the last hour reading enough posts on GW to verify that there is no consensus on a reliable dimmable CFL for a recessed fixture not specifically made for CFL bulbs. I definitely want dimmable cans, so that crosses CFL bulbs off my list.

What bulbs do you folks recommend for recessed fixtures, bearing in mind that (1) they must be usefully dimmable; (2) I want good, warm, natural color; and (3) I have a ton of cans and don't want the bulbs to act like heat lamps. Whatever bulbs I've used in the past were way too hot. Of course, I don't remember what those were.

Comments (17)