SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjay_gw

CFL bulbs in recessed lighting fixtures

sjay
16 years ago

I have searched and read many of the posts on this forum and still have several questions. I have 5 6" halo fixtures on a dimmer and 4 4" halo fixture over my countertops.

Even though my 6" cans are on a dimmer we almost never use the dimmer(but I don't want to eliminate it completely). I am interested in buying cfl bulbs for these fixtures but am not sure if

1. I use the cone style bulb, will it protrude like the twisted style CFL bulbs?

2. What is the impact of using a non dimmable CFL's if I have a dimmer but rarely use the dimmer. Is there any fire hazard to using them? Will the bulb life only be shortened based upon the frequency of using the dimming feature? Everything I have read about the dimmable CFL's makes me believe I don't want to switch to them. (poor lighting)

3. How can I figure out what type wattage bulb I can use in the 6" fixtures. All I know is they are halo recessed lights installed in 06.

4. What brands do you recommend? Are there any that won't have the 1 second delay before turning on or any that come on closer to their full brightness level than than others?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville