SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pearl1976

Undercabinet lights or recessed lights for task lighting in kitchen ?

pearl1976
7 years ago

Do I really need to put in both undercabinet lights and recessed lights for tasked lighting? We are taking down an extra large square fluorescent light and replacing it with one two-bulb type flush mounted light and maybe another if need be then also adding a pendant over the sink. I really don't want both and think perhaps I can get away with either the undercabinet lights or the recessed lights for task lighting. I also will have a small chandelier type light over the kitchen table. I have a L-shaped kitchen with the table at one end and the cabinets at the other in an L shape. I have a 4 foot wide window over the sink that faces easterly with many tall trees bordering the property line . I have a kitchen door on the same side with a full window in the upper half and another good size window facing north at the table end. I do not have a lot of natural light thus the reason I put in that extra large fluorescent fixture many years ago. It has served me well but would like something more aesthetically pleasing this time around. My husband at first thought we should put in both. However, we are planning on having a light colored quartz kitchen counter, a lighter floor , white appliances along with medium cherry cabinets and I am afraid I will get too much glare from the lighter counter if I overdo the lighting. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone that has done one or the other or both but now realize it was not necessary. Thanks!

Comments (9)