SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Making big changes in the garden ...

I've made a lot of changes in the garden and I thought a few of you might like to see some of them.

About the time the Central Texas Garden video was made I discovered the roses were infested with chilli thrips. Chilli thrips are a fairly recent invasive insect from south Asia. They are about one tenth of the size of flower thrips, thrive in hot climates, suck the juice out of leaves and flowers leaving them dry and burnt looking. It seems they may become quite a serious pest to food crops in the south as well as ornamental plants.

Not being willing to spray insecticides the discovery just reinforced what I was thinking of doing anyway because of the drought and ever increasing water restrictions. That is to cut down on the number of plants that need extra water (and work) and also in consideration of the age of this body. It's in good health, but having already spent 77 years on earth I realize it's not going to last forever. So out went 40 plus roses and other infested plants as well. They were passed on to a young man who came and dug them. I kept about ten rose varieties.

Strangely enough I'm not at all sad, but just happy to have enjoyed growing many varieties of roses for over 35 years. Roses were my favorite plants.

In their place I'm planting yuccas, agaves, ornamental grasses, and succulent/desert plants which will be less subject to this invasion and will definitely be more drought tolerant and easier care. The style will be more southwest cottage garden. It's a good thing I really like that family of plants and am still strong enough to enjoy doing the work to make the changes.

Have any of you had the need to make a drastic change in your gardens?

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a post on Texas Gallery showing some of the changes ...

Comments (8)

Sponsored