SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

VitaMix vs Food Processor: Hummus

annie1992
6 years ago

Bud was here today, they were off school for a snow day. He wanted to make hummus and he just had to use the "new" blender. OK, I've heard the praises being sung, let's see how it goes....

It was fast, and easy enough to add ingredients. The hummus was indistinguishable from that made in the food processor. So far, so good.

BUT.....

It was loud, much, much louder than the food processor, I winced and Bud plugged his ears. One deduction.

It was nearly impossible to scrape the hummus out of, and not just the stuff on the bottom around the blades, all the way up the side. The grooves seem too narrow/deep/oddly shaped to allow a spatula, so quite a bit was left that I couldn't remove:

I wasted a couple of tablespoons of perfectly good hummus, not a big loss, but still. Plus it's deep and difficult to get anything out around the blades that's too thick to pour. Another deduction.

Finally, the darned thing is a pain to wash if there's something thick and/or sticky around the blades. I tried filling it half full and running it, like the on-line instructions suggested, but it didn't get it clean. Yes, another deduction.

So, in the first "head to head" test the food processor is the clear winner. It's quieter, it's easier to scrape thick hummus out of, it's just as fast, and I can remove the blade for cleaning so it's easier to clean. I'll make hummus in the food processor from now on.

I haven't decided on the round two challenge yet. It might be bread crumbs because I'm running low, or smoothies (which I will never drink but the grandkids love). We'll see...

Annie

Comments (32)