VitaMix vs Food Processor: Hummus
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (32)
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Discussions
Blender / mixer / food processor combo?
Comments (3)Cuisinart does have a couple of stand mixers for which you can buy attachments that run from its power-take-off port. Cooks Illustrated thinks highly of the stand mixers. (Equal to or slightly better than the longstanding Kitchenaid champs, according to Cooks.) The smaller one (5 quart bowl, I think) starts at around $350. I do not remember what the larger one (7 quart bowl) goes for. The attachments, which have to be purchased or ordered separately, into a power take off at the top rear of the machine. If I recall, the blender attachment has something like 40 oz. capacity, so it sits pretty tall. I saw it once and it seemed to blend soup reasonably well. Do not know about its performance with other functions. The food processor attachment I saw was small, maybe 3 cups capacity. More of a chopper. There might be other attachments. A lot of on-line and brick-n-mortar retailers carry these so you should be able to find prices and reviews on-line. You also might have been thinking of the Ninja blenders which can be had as part of a "kitchen system" which is supposed to combine several devices using the same power base. There are several versions of this, I recall that Consumer Reports thought highly of one version and not so highly of the others. Ninja used to ba QVC/Shopping Channel item but it has made the leap into brick-and-mortar stores. I saw one on offer at Costco a couple of weeks ago. Not sure which version it was but Colstco was charging either $100 (coupon) or $120. I also recall some detailed discussions of Ninjas in eGullet and Chowhound threads that also discussed VitaMix and Blendtec. Try searching there. (Just tried a search on "ninja" here at THS and turned up nothing, which seems odd.) The only Ninja I've ever used myself was as a blender at a friend's house. It seemed to be an excellent blender and ice crusher. Do a search for reviews. If you are not budgeting hundreds of dollars, Vitamix and Blendtec are probably out of the question because the least expensive models start at $400. To be sure, both are splendid blenders, absolute workhorses and durable enough for commercial use. By all accounts, they do an excellent job of making hummus. Don't recall seeing anything about pimento cheese, so don't throw away that old food processor. Vitamix offers several types and sizes of blender jars. When the largest one (64 oz. capacity) is on the base, the unit is 20 inches tall. From that comes comments about measuring cabinet heights. My recollection of the Cusinart mixer's blender attachment was that it sat even higher when assembled. If counter-to-cabinet workspace is limited, the Cuisinart blender attachment is not going to fit, either....See MoreVita-Mix
Comments (32)Tricia I hope you enjoy your new tool and hope it helps with your ability to enjoy food. I usually hang out in kitchens and appliances. I love my Vitamix and use it to make smoothies, soups, pasta sauce, hummus and more. I do recommend ear plugs. My husband bought me shooting plugs that are connected with a solid band. They really help. My smoothies are a lot of fun(but not as crazy as my friend who makes and drinks his 21 ingredient 64 oz smoothie everyday) Mine vary but I start out with 8-12 oz water Squirt of cherry juice concentrate. Add a squirt of lemon or lime juice. 1/2 apple Carrot, celery, parsley, and a quarter of a beet(improves color) Then I add some greens - spinach, lettuce, kale or chard - I freeze leftover greens, tomatoes etc and either use fresh or frozen) A few tomatoes (grape size), cuke or summer squash. Now for some sweet I froze lots of fruits and just open the freezer and add a variety. Blueberries are great for color - so almost always add them 2 strawberries, chunk of pineapple, grapes, peach, cranberries raspberries or whatever you want Scoop of protein powder. I run it on smoothie and check the consistency. I add ice if needed and run it again. This lasts a couple days unless DH joins me. Soups are one of my favorites. I use the Vitamix recipes for several of them. Have fun!...See MoreFavorite hummus recipe?
Comments (16)A word about dried versus canned beans. A couple years ago I wanted to see if there was a real difference in taste, so I did a side-by-side using the same recipe. I found the one using dried beans was clearly better tasting, but just to be sure I had a few people do a blind tasting. The unanimous favorite was the one with dried. Side-by-side the canned really had an off flavor. Truth be told, if it hadn't been in a setting of a side-by-side tasting I'm not sure I would have picked up on that off flavor. But I'd imagine a vegan, who probably eats a lot of this stuff, would pick up on it immediately. I'd spend the extra effort this time. Lars' recipe has been recommended so many times I've been wanting to try it. Maybe the next time I make hummus; it's been a while. In the meantime, I was very happy with the Cook's Illustrated's recipe: 1 15-oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed 1 med garlic clove, minced or pressed 3/4 tsp salt pinch cayenne 3 Tbsp lemon juice 1/4 cup tahini 1/4 cup EVOO 1/4 cup water Process all ingredients until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to two days....See MoreSnow days and cookies and hummus
Comments (6)Ellen, I have to tell you, the noise from that VitaMix is like unreal. Bud plugged his ears, I just winced. Dcarch sggested putting a 5 gallon bucket over top of it and plllog says she wears earplugs. I can certainly see why. Makayla's cookies were much like my chocolate chip cookie recipe, with one cup of mini chips and half a cup of sprinkles. They were chewy and soft in the middle, crunchy on the outside, just like a good chocolate chip cookie should be. Lars, we did use those long sprinkles that aren't so hard, I didn't think I'd like the crunchy little ones very well. They added more color than flavor or sweetness, but it did make them prettier. Ice is treacherous, so no matter where you are ice can bring things to a stand still. We can power through snow, but ice keeps you home. Choir is the only class Bud actually likes, other than science, so his teacher will be the only one that ever gets his homemade hummus, I think. Basil, thank you, I'm going to look for one of those. Annie...See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNJump-Start Your Kitchen With These Minimalist Essentials
These kitchen tools will get you started on your path to culinary success or delicious downsizing
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: An Arsenal of Tools for Healthy Eating
Make cooking and juicing easier whether you follow a vegetarian, vegan, Paleo, primal or other diet
Full Story
KITCHEN APPLIANCESConsidering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN12 Items Worth a Spot on Your Kitchen Counter
Keep these useful tools and accessories out in the open to maintain high function without spoiling the view
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGEWalk-In Pantries vs. Cabinet Pantries
We explore the pros and cons of these popular kitchen storage options
Full Story
KITCHEN STORAGEWhere to Stash the Stand Mixer in Your Kitchen
Stand mixers aren’t huge, but they’re heavy. See storage ideas for keeping them accessible and easy to use
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Get Juicing
Stay hydrated and healthy with these tools and accessories for juicing fruits and vegetables right at home
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNCreate Your Own Checklist for a Well-Stocked Kitchen
Personalize the kitchen with your own must-haves from our list of top cooking tools, small appliances, pots, pans and more
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNWhy a Designer Kept Her Kitchen Walls
Closed kitchens help hide messes (and smells) and create a zone for ‘me time.’ Do you like your kitchen open or closed?
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNPro Chefs Dish on Kitchens: Paul Kahan Shows His Urban Sanctuary
Peek inside Kahan's newly redone home kitchen and learn what he considers most important for a cooking space
Full Story

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)