SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19722038

Am I the Only One?

User
6 years ago

There are a few insignificant things in the realm of real world problems that I just can't stand and I have no good explanation. One is that I HATE square plates! I mean, I actually get angry when I'm served a meal on one in a restaurant. And I have never known anyone else with this obsession. Another is chocolate diamonds! They look like dirt. I even informed my hubby to please never buy me any because I would be forced to return them. I also hate to see dogs dressed up unless it's very cold and it's a fragile dog like a chihuahua or something. I also dislike seeing women wear those little camisole-like tops with the skinny straps and then they have a bra on underneath that shows the straps on the shoulders and the one across the back. Especially awful is when the bra is dingy or dirty, how gross. Anyone else have petty dislikes? I'm sure I have more but I can't think of them.

Comments (108)

• marylmi
    6 years ago

Watchmelol , I thought of this thread tonight when eating my dinner from one of those "stupid" square plates! LOL. What can I say, I like them! Actually a lot of restaurant's put too much salad in a bowl and there isn't room to move anything around once the dressing is put on. Am I the only one that tells someone their little girl is cute and gets corrected because it's a boy? But really, you can't tell one babies gender from another especially when the clothes tell you nothing nor does the hair or " lack" of hair. Just say "oops" and move on. :) I don't really say that but I think It and say again how cute He or she is. That happened to me this evening.I guess the next time just comment how cute...that would work.!

• marilyn_c
    6 years ago

marylmi....that reminds me of when my daughter was about a year old and she was in the supermarket with me, and a lady walked up and said, "what pretty eyes....he should have been a girl." I said, "the last time I looked, she is a girl." The lady said, "You wish" and walked off. Uh......I guess I ought to know. I thought that was pretty funny.

• Related Discussions

why can't i choose a color - am i the only one??

Q

Comments (15)
    Check the colors against your furniture and such. If you are starting with the walls first then I suggest you do like I did. After painting my 25"walls by myself, yeah really scary up there, I did the following: We purchased a rug that had all our favorite colors and put it in our family room as the anchor. I went to store and picked one of those pallet cards that gives a group of colors that go together. Mine are the Biltmore Estate colors. All my favorites are there with even a few I would never have thought of. And it turns out all the colors in the pallet are actually in the rug we got. It took a few months before we realized that there were colonial blue areas in the rug that actually matched the blue we used in one room. I used the neutral tan for my entry and stairwell, used a lighter version of the tan for my kitchen, family and hallways. I used the red in my livingroom, hunter green in dining and the blue in my upstairs bonus room. I just did my guest bath using the same blue in the rug andthe bonus room and it is actually my unexpected color in the house. It matches all the other colors but you would never really think to see it. But together they all match really well. I carry my colors in my purse and use them all the time when I am out and about and tempted to get something for the house. So pick that tan and find a pallet that goes with it, it really helped me a lot.
    ...See More

I want my kitchen to come in color. Am I the only one?

Q

Comments (46)
    In the last 2 years we've completely gutted and redone 4 bathrooms. They were all red and green saltillo tile and used to look cheap and cartoonish. The bathroom are now neutral, but far from boring. My theme for the new bathrooms was modern moroccan. I love color and have a red sofa, orange chairs, teal headboard, lots of color in upholstery and drapes, etc, but having the permanent items in the house be such strong/bossy colors is just too much.
    ...See More

Am I The Only One Who Second Guesses Decisions?

Q

Comments (87)
    Since it was resurrected I might as well give an update! We bought that lot I mentioned a few posts up and built a house during covid ... fun times and higher costs!! Have been in the house for just over a year and 99% happy with all the choices I made. No designer used and I prefer it that way. Jan thought it was a positive that a designer would limit the choices to show a customer, but I consider that a huge negative. Why should I let a stranger select three colors I should pick from, when the colors I really would have loved might have been color 5 or 6. Some Designers also pick based on their personal likes/dislikes or they try new/odd things they would never do in their own homes! I had the time to do the research and make my own selections. I also trust my taste and ability to match colors and patterns.
    ...See More

Am I the only one with a list of of hostas already ordered?

Q

Comments (24)
    Thanks for asking Debra! 🥰Zoe ‘s leg is healing marvelously, she’s running in the paths I had to dig in the backyard for my short legged dogs. She’s really fussy about what she will eat because the tumor is taking up precious space in her tummy. I hope she makes it til spring, she likes basking in the sun. She is still a happy girl now. Sherry
    ...See More
  • lily316
    6 years ago

Another peeve is packaging. They wrap items so tightly that it's almost impossible to penetrate. Another is people at the gym sitting on equipment texting away.

• amylou321
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

People who are irritating on purpose. I was in the self checkout lane at the grocery store yesterday. This woman,who saw that there was a long line behind her, took forever to ring up her stuff,pausing to text between scanning items,answered her phone and talked for a few minutes before bothering to pay for her stuff and then proceeded to rearrange her purse on the scanner. A man behind me said something to her that was rather derogatory,though I feel deserved,and she giggled,stuck her tongue out and flipped everyone the bird. I dont understand why she didn't just get in a cashier manned lane if she wanted to text or talk on her phone. This leads me to believe she was entertained by inconveniencing other people. While this example was rather extreme, I have noticed that people are less and less considerate of people in line behind them. Stop going through your purse,get off your phone. Handle your business and MOVE so others can handle theirs.

Parents who let their kids SCREECH in public. I'm not talking about babies. I'm talking about toddlers and young kids allowed to murder everyone's ears while mom or dad stroll along,ignoring the SCREECH.

I also prefer to give to animal charities over people ones. It is grating when people judge and condemn that decision. When people ask me why, I tell them like it is: It's my money that I and I alone worked for and will give it to whichever cause I feel makes the difference that I want to see made. Why does that offend so many people? Many animals are completely dependant on people for survival. They have no other options. People can help themselves far more than a starving stray dog,a neglected horse, or a sick cat can.

Those stupid packing peanuts. One of the companies I order my supplies for my candles from always packs the box full of those things. They smell like stale popcorn,they manage to find their way all over the friggin house somehow,and they take up half or more of a trash bag to get rid of them. Such a waste. SO has been burning them along with our boxes recently. I don't know how good that is for the environment, but I will admit it is almost viscerally satisfying to see them go up in flames. And it beats worrying if the dog will find a stray one somewhere and eat it.

Square plates don't bother me,but square bowls do. They're just weird.

• arkansas girl
    6 years ago

amylou, you can take those peanuts to the UPS store and other packaging stores and they will gladly take them.

When animals are in need of rescue, it is a direct result of an irresponsible HUMAN'S actions!

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

Packing peanuts, both traditional or bio-degradable, create toxic fumes when burned.

• User
    6 years ago

Wow, I must be much more laid-back than I realized. There are things I dislike or find irritating but hate seems extreme.

As to the memorials, I've know some that were placed in a location of a deadly accident to mark the area as dangerous. When I lived in the big city a number of markers encouraged city engineers to change traffic patterns to reduce a danger that wasn't obvious.

• Janie
    6 years ago

No more comments from me on the voice mail messaging to Elmer LOL. We have a VERY different circle of friends (and manners) and ways of communicating! Subject closed :)

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    6 years ago

The roadside memorials always baffled me. Then a few years back a young man, who my son grew up with and I knew the parents on a social basis, was killed on the road just up from the entrance to their neighborhood. It was just a week before their high school graduation. We were all so shocked and devastated. Someone put a marker up and his friends all put little tokens and reminders around it. Now it is 8 years later and the marker is still there, the family does a seasonal display. I drive past it many times a week and it always makes me think of Adam and his mother who is not the same person she was. I can see now how she just wants to keep every reminder she can.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago

I always thought those roadside memorials were a cautionary tale, to help people avoid what those who install them must endure. They make me sad and wishful. I can't wave a magic wand. I would. For sure.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Biodegradable packing peanuts are made out of vegetable starches..........you can EAT them!!! There is no way they give off toxic fumes when burned! They dissolve in water. To dispose of them you can add to your compost or put in your yard waste recycling.

• marylmi
    6 years ago

Marilyn_c, this baby was maybe 4 or so months old in a snowsuit but they had taken the hat off and the small amount of hair didn't give me a clue. The mother answered me like I should have known. :). When my younger brother was a year or so old he had pretty brown curly hair and my mother didn't want it trimmed. She finally did at a year and a half old but he could have been taken for a girl when that young.

• User
    6 years ago

Yes! Packaging. That hard plastic, I think it is called clamshell packaging. It's almost like one needs industrial wire cutters to open items packaged in that manner.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    6 years ago

Another thought or two on the roadside memorials: again, I understand and appreciate their purpose. But what if EVERYBODY who lost a loved one on a highway/road did it? Public roadsides should be like public parks, IMO: take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

In my area, there’s a peculiar culture of purchasing a large-ish display ad in the local paper on the anniversary of a loved one’s death. The ad usually has the deceased’s name, birth and death dates, and various other tidbits of their life. Sometimes a poem. But to the best of my knowledge, the deceased isn’t going to see and appreciate the sentiment. Sure, I know the family is remembering the sad date, but why put it in the PAPER?

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Lukki, your photo reminds me of one of my pet peeves, people who drive down the wrong way in a parking lot with angled, one-way lane parking. I have seen some near accidents when someone was backing out of a parking spot and didn’t think to look to the other direction for an oncoming car.

Other things that really bother me are people who wear pjs to the store or in airplanes, people taking off their shoes on an airplane so we have to smell their stinky shoes and socks, someone clipping their nails in public, too much cologne, cigarette smoke (really can’t stand that anywhere or on anyone), ‘family reunions’ right in the doorway of an exit so no one else can move on, people who run, walk or bike without proper reflective gear and/or lights (yes I run in dark or near dark often and I look like a Christmas tree). I don’t mind square plates at all. Don’t have any, but think they are cute, especially salad or dessert plates.

• justretired
    6 years ago

Marilyn, I think they are called gages? And I find them disturbing as well. I imagine the hole will never fill. And that there may be regret at some age.

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    6 years ago

I recently bought a set of 4 square plates. I love them & use them almost daily. Very pretty vintage peonies & bee's print from 222. (I think)

• Olychick
    6 years ago

I was waiting for my grandson at the pool while he finished his lesson. The next class was for babies and a young mother came and sat beside me with her 6 or 8 month old. He made eye contact with me so I spoke to him, something like, "Oh, you get to go swimming?!!" or some such. Then I said to the mom, "Your baby is sweet; a boy or girl?" (Hard to tell in a onsie style suit)! She got all in a huff, "He's a boy! And he LOOKS like a boy!" Yikes.

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago

I did this not once, but twice before I learned to keep my mouth shut. I asked a chid if they where spending a nice day with grandma. Only it wasn't grandma, but mom. Mom didn't like it.

• Rose Pekelnicky
    6 years ago

I am fine with square plates and sometimes I wear pajama pants all day if I'm not going anywhere. I really hate taking out the garage though and I have no idea why.

• chisue
    6 years ago

littlebug -- Some religions mark the end of the first year after a loved one's death. This may include dedicating a tombstone or other memorial. It's an ancient practice. It's a formal end to mourning. Today we'd call it 'closure'.

• DaisyinGA
    6 years ago

Many people I know leave voice messages if the phone call is unanswered, including friends and relatives younger than me. My younger friends and relatives use text more than voice mail, but almost all of them make voice calls sometimes and leave voice messages. My husband only returns phone calls if the caller leaves a voice message, and he gets a lot of voice messages. Both my husband and I get voice messages from our healthcare professionals, the vet's office, etc. Voice messages may die out among the people I interact with, but for now I still get quite a few.

• Chi
    6 years ago

I don't like listening to voice mails either. Luckily my phone transcribes the voice mail so I can read it instead. The translations are always amusing but I can usually get the general idea!

• Kathsgrdn
    6 years ago

Not feeling great, eating a late night meal at the sushi place my daughter works at...and the table next to me screams "saki bomb!" at the top of their lungs for an extended period of time. It seemed to go on forever. I know it didn't, but it sure sounded like it. I literally cringed the entire time and left soon after.

• Jak Perth
    6 years ago

I live in a house with three males. They are all good about putting the seat down. But...they don't tear the tp off in squares, they just rip it off and don't use the perforations. This bugs me but it is so stupid I have never said anything about it. Who really cares if the tp is not neat.

• stacey_mb
    6 years ago

Don't get me started about tp! DH always replaces tp so that it unrolls the wrong way - under, instead of over, which is the way it should be. lol! Also, he doesn't see the need to replace the roll as long as it has a shred of paper remaining.

• functionthenlook
    6 years ago

TP-why does the manufacturer have to seal the end with industrial grade glue.

• User
    6 years ago

I learned to put the TP rolling under so the cats couldn't unroll it, so there isn't a right way per say. Is it my imagination or is the hole in the middle getting larger so that there's less on the roll?

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

The manufacturers say that the tube is now larger to accommodate different styles of holders. Sure, I believe that. ;-)

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    6 years ago

A couple of years ago Charmin made the rolls more narrow. We have one of these paper holders in one bathroom where you just push the roll in. With the new size they kept falling out.

• User
    6 years ago

My DH has a habit of leaving about 12 inches of paper on the roll so I’m always the one to change it out. In the big scheme of things, changing the roll takes 2 seconds and shouldn’t annoy me but it does....especially when the stash we keep on hand is gone!

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    6 years ago

Things hanging cattywampus on walls. Any wall, anything, anywhere, it bugs me.

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    6 years ago

Moonie, I learned a new word!

• User
    6 years ago

Cattywampus is when a thing-a-ma-jig or a do-hickey is crooked.

• bee0hio
    6 years ago

I guess this is my petty dislike:

All dressed up with in your jeans with holes all over the place. What an illogical fashion statement.

Totally. Do. Not. Get. It!

• arkansas girl
    6 years ago

bee, yes...I had thought that style was gone but then all of a sudden, it's back with a vengeance. More holes than ever, it looks crazy! I even saw a lady that has a youtube channel that had a top on with holes all over it...bothered the heck out of me...HAHA!

• Julie
    6 years ago

I don't know if I have ever eaten off of a square plate! The dog thing: I don't care if you dress them up, but I can almost guarantee that most dogs would rather stay home than being dragged to events where there are tons of people and warm temperatures. WHY? Because you feel guilty leaving them home alone all day? Then stay home with them at night/weekends. A lot of them are very obviously stressed when taken out on these "social" outings.

Another BIG pet peeve. People driving slow in the passing lane. Where did they learn the rules of the road? Just move over!

• User
    6 years ago

I am male and I rigidly tear the TP according to the perforations.

• marilyn_c
    6 years ago

I agree with Julie about taking your dogs to events....like, the flea market, for example. You don't want to watch to keep from stepping in dog poop. Plus, even the nicest of dogs can snap at a person they don't know, if that person wants to pet it. (And petting someone else's dog is a big no-no in my book.) I can see taking your pet dogs for a ride....they love that, but darned near everywhere you go? It irritates me to no end to see dogs left in cars. I did see a big lab one time barking, and biting chunks out of the dashboard. Thrilled me to no end.

• Jak Perth
    6 years ago

Haha Scott..I didn't mean All Males tear the tp wrong, just mine. I am a neat person so they are probably displaying passive aggression..LOL.

• Uptown Gal
    6 years ago

. My biggest pet peeve for a long time now....pants hanging below

the butt . It is all I can do to stop from running up behind

them and giving those darn things a jerk!!!! That goes with the "imitation:

butt implants that people are having now. What????

I wonder if any of those kids/people have mirrors,

Sorry, if this has already been used and I missed it.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago

I just remembered this... for all those who hate pants below the bottom? Cops love it. It makes it easy to catch them when they run. A) they give a signal they're going to run by pulling up the pants, and B) they trip over them. So there's that

;)

• Uptown Gal
    6 years ago

LOL....thank you rob333...that makes my day.

• jemdandy
    6 years ago

In my area, Perkin's Restaurants have changed to square plates.

• arkansas girl
    6 years ago

It drives my husband crazy if the TP doesn't tear right. Sometimes you will get a package that isn't perforated right and the sheets won't tear. That's a huge pet peeve for my husband.

I hate all those cap sleeved shirts they are making now instead of a normal short sleeves. I don't mind them on people, but I hate them on myself. Plus, they really aren't flattering to your arm unless you have lovely shapely thin arms which most of us stopped having at about 40 years old. I've always had large upper arms even when I was very thin so I do not like capped sleeves at all! I wish that new trend would go away!

• User
    6 years ago

Thanks for the FYI on the low riding pants Rob, it’s good to know that it serves such an important purpose! LOL

• wildchild2x2
    6 years ago

It's almost like one needs industrial wire cutters to open items packaged in that manner.

Actually they created a new industry. The "new" gadgets created to open packages. Here is one type but there are many on the market. The irony is the tools are often packaged in the same theft free packaging. LOL

• wildchild2x2
    6 years ago

Regarding roadside memorials. I don't really mind a simple cross or some flowers. I've seen Novena candles set out for a week or two that the mourners come back and clean up. That is fine.

It's the alcohol bottles, the marijuana roaches etc. among a bunch of broken candles etc. that I mind.

Worst was one a year ago where a repeat drunk driver, who had a warrant out for her at the time, murdered a young teen on Xmas morning and her homies proceeded to build her a huge memorial with dozens of empty liquor bottles most of which they probably drunk and poured on site. Disgusting.

• socks
    6 years ago

I agree, dogs on leash at crowded events, even parades. They look miserable most often.

Buy one, get one half off.

Battery compartments that require a screwdriver to open because they are secured with one screw or more.

Nose rings. Repulsive.

I did not know that people don’t listen to their phone messages; I’ve never heard of that. I always listen to my messages, and nine times out of 10 it’s important. Why have an answering machine or service if you aren’t going to listen to the messages? We get very few junk messages. Just this week the dentist called to change an existing appointment.

• Aprile
    6 years ago

Oh boy here goes.

Rude people, me me people. I hate going to the store and people blocking the isles so you have to turn around and completely go back the way you came because no matter how many times you say excuse me they ignore you and wont move.

People who cut in front of you or push you out of the way because they are much more important than you are apparently. People now a days seem to have no respect for their fellow humans. It is all about me and what I want and get out of my way no matter how polite you try to be to them.

I too prefer to help animals over people. I have tried and tried to help people. I will donate to battered and abused women's shelters or homeless shelters. I will provide clothes and food. But. I have found over and over people just don't want to be helped. You offer them jobs or ways to help themselves and the excuses I have heard as to why they wont/can't work the job offered is beyond belief. They refuse to work at McDonald's for minimum wage, they can't work this or that job because they have a bad back, leg. They want offered cushy desk jobs with high paying salaries because they are too good to take a job less than that even though they haven't went to school. They'd rather beg for help than help themselves and that irritates the you know what out of me. I have people that clearly have a disability, they could qualify for it. I sent them the information offered to help them every step of the way. They won't take the the time even do it. I have a friend who husband drinks a lot. She is the only one working. They struggle month to month, they call me for money. I used to be stupid and give it to them because they have 3 kids. He'd spend it on alcohol. I would send gift cards to people instead of giving them cash, they'd sell them. I have donated my time to homeless shelters, crisis centers and so on and so forth and the same thing. There are more people who would rather live on streets asking for hand outs rather than help themselves. Battered women who kept going back to their abusers. People who have drug issues they blame on things that happened to them when they grew up. I grew up like a lot of these people. I was physically, psychologically and sexually abused growing up. I understand what they are going through. They refuse to listen, they hold that self pity and use it to their advantage. On and On, I just gave up.

Animals can't help themselves and most of them are there because people are irresponsible or don't care or are just plain cruel. I would much rather spend my time and my money on something that can't help themselves and are there because of people. And honestly I believe that a lot of those animals would help themselves if they could and they are so much more appreciative of the help that they receive than most of the people I've ever tried to help.

I let little things roll off my back. I don't get upset about the shape of a plate or what people choose to wear, though the pj thing does kind of bother me because it really does take literally 2 minutes to throw on regular clothes. The roadside memorials are sad and people grieve in their own way and I too always try to acknowledge them as someone did lose a life and that makes me sad for them and their families.

If people want to dress their animals and it makes them happy so be it. I love to see people who truly love their animals, it tells a lot about a person on how they treat other living creatures. I do not like to see non service animals in the stores though. Where I live it is common to see people put their dogs in the grocery cart and wheel them through the grocery store and I do not feel an animal in a food store or really any type of store is sanitary. I see them even at the high end stores at the mall. They put clothes in carts and the animal is laying on them and they decide to put them back because they decided they don't want the items and now someone with allergies could possibly end up trying on that item and have a severe reaction to the hair.

I am another who didn't listen to voice messages left on my phone. I am hearing impaired and sometimes it was just difficult to understand or hear them. My service provider offers voicemail to text and that was the greatest thing for me. As someone else mentioned sometimes the messages come out interesting but you can get the gist of the message.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional