SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jsamant

Help going crazy - can't afford to buy in the neighborhood we already.

JL (Zone 6B MA)
6 years ago

Hello everyone, our house hunt over the last year has me really depressed - literally when I go to see open houses, I feel like I want to go to bed and sleep for days.

I'll try to be brief and to the point.

We live in a nice neighborhood about 10 miles west of Boston. I love my commute to work - there is an express bus that stops 2 mins from our home and gets on the highway - takes me straight to work - its like me driving in but I get to read/listen to music etc.

Our home is about 2700 sq feet and is a townhouse - but was the original Victorian on the lot and feels like a single family home because of the way it is built. It was originally built in 1880 so although most things were updated when it was converted to a condo , it still has the original field-stone foundation with low clearance and cannot really be finished.

As our kids get older, we would like to move to a slightly bigger home - a single family so we can make our own decisions about our house without needing condo approval and/or funding. Our reasons for looking are:

- Different configuration of rooms - right now we have 3 bedrooms and they are on three sides at the end of a hallway. The master is too close to the kids/guest room.

- Slightly more room for us as a family

- Finished basement

- Some yard (although I don't want too much - I would like a bit more garden)

We have been looking for a while in our neighborhood - but just cannot find a home within our price-range (which isn't unrealistic). For our price range, I want a house that has the same convenience to the city, with updated appliances, central air etc. However I'm slowly realizing that we just cannot afford to live in our neighborhood - the prices have risen faster than you can imagine and the homes in our range are not commute friendly and worse than our current home.

We've looked at neighboring towns and we can probably find a home there in our price range but it would increase my commute by 30 mins each way. I also can't describe it but the thought of moving to these towns just makes me want to cry - like I am giving up (most people would consider these as really nice towns).

This is causing serious conflict in my head - we are not necessarily in a hurry to move - there is no pressing reason - yet this constant house search and looking at listings makes me feel like I am in a perpetual state of unrest.

I know I've been rambling a bit - but I'm looking for advice on how to decide to move on, how to justify paying more for a house to stay in your town, or whether we should just wait and watch.

Are there websites (or previous posts maybe) - words of wisdom or insight into what can be done in situations like ours?

Comments (40)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz