SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

WWYD? Crazy dog in neighborhood.

Sueb20
14 years ago

We have lived on our street for 13 years. It's a small street with maybe 20 houses on it. About 5 doors down, there's a family that we hardly know who have lived here longer than us. We might wave to them in passing, but we have no relationship with them. A few years ago, they got a dog -- I think it's a Labradoodle. The dog is insane and big -- probably weighs 75 pounds. They put in an electric fence and the dog had the run of the back yard AND front yard. We have sidewalks, and the dog was able to come right up to the edge of the sidewalk. At the end of our street is our elementary school, and everyone in our immediate area walks, so there's a lot of foot traffic on our street in the mornings and afternoons. The owners would let the dog out most afternoons right at the time kids are leaving school, and the dog would run right up to the edge of the yard and bark at each passerby. I'm talking Cujo-style barking. Really unpleasant, especially when we didn't see the dog coming and would jump out of our skin every time. Eventually, a new neighbor with a big mouth moved in, and she had a few choice words for the dog and its owners... as a result (I assume), the owners changed the electric fence so the dog is now confined to the back yard. Still barks at everyone who goes by, but at least she's 20' away instead of in our faces.

Yesterday, the owner was walking the dog at the time school got out. DD and I were walking home and owner had Cujo on a leash and was about to enter her yard, but as we approached, she held back and was standing at the edge of the street, waiting for us to pass by. We said hello and as I walked by, the dog jumped up on me and bit the arm of my jacket, tearing a hole in it. My reaction was to be too stunned to say anything, and also to protect DD (age 9 and tiny for her age) so I basically continued walking while shielding DD with my body. Dog owner said, in a tiny voice, "Oh, did she rip your coat?" and then "Zoe! Bad girl, I thought you were just going to say hi...."

If this had happened 3 days ago when it was 70 degrees here, I wouldn't have had a jacket on, and the dog probably would have bit my skin. If DD had been on that side of me, the dog would have jumped at her face level and I hate to think what could have happened.

Of course I got home and thought of all the things I could have said... so now I'm not sure what to do, if anything. I am totally a non-confrontational person, and I certainly don't want to cause unpleasant "drama" with neighbors whose house I have to walk by twice a day. And obviously, the dog didn't actually hurt me.

I am surprised the owner did not call me or something to try to offer to pay for the jacket repair or... SOMETHING. But so far, no word from her. She knows my name and our number is listed.

So, what would you do???

Comments (29)

• graywings123
    14 years ago

I would call the police and make a dog bite report.

• marlene_2007
    14 years ago

Sue, both you and the dog owner got very lucky. You were lucky you weren't injured and she was lucky she's not having a lawsuit filed against her for personal injuries.

You need to put down what happened in writing so that she is put on notice. Someone needs to advise her of her liability if her dog injures someone.

I realize you don't like confrontation, neither do I, but this is a really serious matter (someone I know was very seriously injured by a neighbor's dog last year), resulting in a high six figure settlement. No amount of money will ever make her whole.

I am so glad you weren't physically injured.

• Related Discussions

DS, our dog and the neighborhood cat.

Q

Comments (9)
    Ron - Elvira came from a rescue group. They rescued her on Halloween night. They called her that because she is all black, as in "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark". We got her Christmas Eve, and have had her now 5 years. Best thing we ever did, she is so sweet. Except - maybe - to cats! Not that she has ever caught one. ;>) Clare
    ...See More

Random people are using our basketball hoop...WWYD?

Q

Comments (91)
    I would like to know if you ever were able to keep them off the goal. In my neighborhood the neighborhood kids broke our backboard. I am assuming using a some kind of gun or rocks. The police stated without us knowing or rather have proof who has done this, there is nothing that can be done. I am furious. Now, my son, who is 10 and plays on three different teams, is not able to practice. He loves the game. I will be purchasing a new goal, installing cameras, post private property, and write Not permitted to be used unless you are given written permission from the owner of the basketball goal across the backboard. Bottom line, if you are not given permission, you should not be on anyone's property. For some reason, these kids, feel they can do what they want, when they want. It is quite aggravating and very wrong, especially when you spoke to the parents in the neighborhood.
    ...See More

A very upsetting afternoon in the neighborhood.

Q

Comments (59)
    Oly, I wish they did too and have some similar issues in our neighborhood. The people across from us are on 5 acres and have a boxer that likes to stand at the end of their long driveway and bark at us. Occassionally, he will cross our busy road to mark up our yard, but a couple of weeks ago he was brazen enough to come to our opened front door to bark at us! These same neighbors also have a beautiful German Shorthair and he keeps showing up in our back yard (no fences) while we’re playing chuck it with Ellie. Ellie starts to growl and I worry the encounter won’t be friendly so I have to put her back inside. Last time, I grabbed our leash and collar and told him to “come”, which he did! Then I slipped the collar and leash on him and took him home. His owners could have cared less. Now there’s a new guy with 2 dogs taking daily walks on the path in front of our house. Normally, that’s not a problem (except when they don’t carry baggies) however he doesn’t leash them and they wander all over the place. One is part Great Dane and huge, the other is a terrier mix. Last weekend, we came face to face with them in our back yard and when my husband tried to shoo them out, they wouldn’t move and started to bark at him quite aggresively, it almost felt pack like. I put Ellie inside and my husband had to pick up a garden tool to scare them off; so incredibly, we can’t safely enjoy our yards either. There is a bright side though because we have another neighbor with 2 labs who used to bark constantly and run amock in everyone’s yards. I guess they saw us running Ellie every day because they recently started to run their dogs daily as well. Amazingly, the dogs no longer roam and their barking has almost completely stopped!
    ...See More

Neighbor swaps their used trash can for your brand new one, WWYD?

Q

Comments (274)
    My neighbors, trust-funders in a 6 million dollar house, have dogs that bark 12 hours a day AND steal my trash cans. They just gather all the trash and recycling cans ( owned by the city) and put them all in their 4 car garage. Over and Over. Yes the cans have house numbers painted on them. This does not deter. I text the neighbor ” Looking for my trash can? is it in your garage?”. Usualy I get no response or something like ”Not home” but the cans reappear in a day or two. So do I need cameras? GPS chips? What to do? Sometimes they fess up ” Sorry found your can in my garage. I guess the help put it there” But usually they do not. Sometimes the can is gone for a week. Recently they denied having the can and 2 days later it showed up with their trash in it.. complete with itemized receipts with their last names printed on receipt. Is this crazy?
    ...See More
  • IdaClaire
    14 years ago

I'm so glad that you weren't injured too - I'm sorry your jacket was torn, but more than that, so sorry that you were so shaken. I would have felt the same way. I'm not sure I would go so far as to call the police, but I would do as Marlene suggests and write down what happened in a letter, give the original to the dog's owner, keep a copy for myself - and I would consider sending a copy to my city's Animal Control department as well. Since the woman was so nonchalant about her dog ripping your jacket, I think I'd tell her how much I expected her to reimburse me for my torn clothing as well.

I hate confrontation. Oh, I'll definitely confront - when necessary - but then afterwards I'll replay the whole event over and over in my head. Last night we ended up having to call the owner of the house next door to us to advise him that his tenant's dog is a barking nuisance. We've already notified the tenant that his dog is driving us freaking crazy when he's away, but he's pretty much just blown us off. I hated to have to make that call - but sometimes issues just have to be addressed before anyone gets any peace.

• work_in_progress_08
    14 years ago

Sounds like your neighbor is at the least, an idiot that should not be a dog owner. I would contact her as a courtesy, requesting that she reimburse you for the cost of replacing your jacket. Ask her for a current vaccination record for that dog.

I would make a police report. I don't think much will be done by the PD, but that just may be how it works here where we live. She may get a citation, but IMHO it won't change her behavior of allowing the dog to jump up and potentially bite someone. It is not a great thing that this dog is so close to a school. Your police report will at the very least make a record of this dog/neighbor's behavior.

So sorry that this happened to you, and thank goodness the dog didn't bite your daughter. I think she would not have been as lucky as you were having a jacket over your skin.

The sad thing is it doesn't matter what breed. ANY dog can bite. Biting is one bad behavior to retrain in a dog as opposed to a puppy that nips because it is teething.

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

You definitely need to make a report with your local dog control agency. We were at a dog event, all dogs were leashed, and a huge dog lunged at our dogs, primarily my male lab, Max, but Max jumped out of the way (pulling me along with him!) and ended up attacking our female lab who was literally just sitting at DH's feet.

A dog control officer was on site (we were licensing our dogs at the time) and the attacking dogs owner was cited for not keeping her dog under control. She did apologize, and paid the vet bill for Zelda's stitches, and she got a BIG lesson on controlling your dog. Just keeping it behind a fence or on a leash is not considered having the dog under control.

Definitely write her a letter, as advised, and you may say to her that perhaps she ought to walk her dog an hour BEFORE school lets out?

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Work in progress has excellent advice although I might contact animal control vs. the police department. Asking for the vaccination record is not a bad idea. I would want to be sure that she has that dog vaccinated!

So sorry - let us know what you do.

tina

• nicole__
    14 years ago

Go to the nearest police station, file a report!!! NOW!

Then ask for the animal control officer assigned to your area and speak to him/her personally. Start carrying a vial of mace on your car keys, your house key, put a spare in your jacket.

Yeah, I have a story: I'm a runner. I maced a dog that was going for my calf. My calf is still in one piece! Yeah!

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

OK - call the police department, and ask if you should file a complaint with them, with Animal Control, or with both. I think different municipalities have different methods of handling matters like this. (In some large cities, if you tried to file a police report because a dog bit your jacket, yeah - good luck with that. ;-)) At least you'll then know for sure how to proceed thru proper channels.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

ay ay ay...I agree with all the most vociferous folks here. Imagine if your daughter had been the one on that side--that should pretty much get you moving...one day it *will* be a child, if you don't take action. You have been given an opportunity to protect all the children in your neighborhood. When you talk to Animal Control or the police, mention that your 9 y.o. daughter, who is shorter than you, was luckily on the other side. But her *face* might have been in that dog's teeth, instead of your jacket. I don't mean to scare you --well, I do, actuallly--because this woman is NOT going to take any kind of protective action on her own. It's up to you. I'm so sorry that you have this situation. We almost had one like it with one of our neighbors, but luckily they came to their senses before I had to report them.

• bestyears
    14 years ago

Two things come to mind... I am an animal lover of the biggest kind, and I hate to get a dog in trouble, but imagine how you would feel if the same thing happened next week to a child, who wasn't wearing a jacket. I would start with animal control and see what they say.

Also, there is a product on the market called a 'doggie dazer'. My husband, who runs nearly every day, always carries his with him and has used it frequently (for about 15 years or more now) to ward off a dog running toward him. It apparently emits some kind of loud, piercing sound, and stops a dog in its tracks, although you can't hear anything. DH was badly bitten a year or so ago, on the back of his thigh, and of course I immediately wondered if the doggie-dazer had failed, but turns out it was out of batteries and he hadn't replaced them...

Here is a link that might be useful: Doggie Dazer

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

More thoughts: the owner's response shows me that she knows of her dog's tendencies, and has already made up defense lines to say in the event of an injury. That line she said was completely premeditated, like she was rehearsing something she'd say to a police officer.

Maybe, even, *she's* scared of the dog, and in her heart of hearts will be thankful when you take action.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

"More thoughts: the owner's response shows me that she knows of her dog's tendencies, and has already made up defense lines to say in the event of an injury. That line she said was completely premeditated, like she was rehearsing something she'd say to a police officer.
    Maybe, even, *she's* scared of the dog, and in her heart of hearts will be thankful when you take action."

Exactly.
    I know you don't want to 'start trouble' Sue, but YOU are not the one starting trouble -- the dog is. And the negligent neighbor who failed to train and control her dog (who is now dangerous) started trouble.

You simply need to file a report with the proper authorities. I believe most dogs get 'one strike' with just a warning. If that changes the owner/dog's behavior, then it's a good deed. If the dog has already had an incident and is 'on probation' -- then you're preventing further harm from being done.

But in any case, the situation as it is now is dangerous for all of the children (and adults) in the neighborhood.

• kkay_md
    14 years ago

I listened to an show yesterday with a veterinarian guest who talked about dogs. She stated that these electric fences can cause some dogs to become very territorial and fearful, a combination of the shocks and the tantalizing nearness of people creates a kind of aversion to people.

The veterinarian said that it can really cause dogs to misbehave, and she thinks these electric fences can do a real disservice to the dogs. I had never heard that before, and found it interesting. (I don't have a "dog" in this fight, so to speak--I just found the idea thought-provoking.)

• roobear
    14 years ago

Hearing this really freaks me out, it's my worst nightmare with one of my own dogs. Sometimes I wonder if we should have just put him down, that would be so hard as my husband and I both love him to death.

He's a 40lb beagle mix rescue that we adopted from a rescue, when he was one. A few months after we adopted him, we found out about his severe dog aggression, not people, just dogs.

We lived in an apartment at the time and had very little contact with other dogs at first which is why we were not aware of how bad it was till later. I should have thought about it, they kept him in a separate crate away from other dogs at the shelter and they were small and did not perform temperament testing that I'm aware of, I don't know how he would have passed if they did.

We took him to a really good trainer, who said he was the worst case she had ever seen and either to put him down or we could try lots of strict intense training to see if he had a chance.

He's better with all the training, being 7 years old now, and me working with him almost daily, but he still can see red and lose it if another dog is around. Well aware that he is a liability dog, I try to keep him from getting into a situation where he could hurt another dog and take extra precautions to avoid risks whenever I can. However I'm well aware that accidents can happen and do worry about what could happen if he ever got lose etc.

He's a great dog, very affectionate with people and dogs that he knows, he mainly has an issue with strange or new dogs that get excited when they see him, most likely due to being found as a stray on the street.

It irritates me to no end that my neighbors let their 3 dogs, one who is known to be aggressive, run loose in their front yard. Sometimes they roam over to our yard for a little bit and even though our neighbor is usually outside
    he's not watching them closely, he's working in his garage.

We talked to him on more than one occasion about the dogs coming into our yard briefly at times and one time nipping at one of my dogs through our fence and another time growling at me, on my property- he just says "oh you don't have to worry about my dogs, they would never do anything serious." Yeah right!

How can people take those kinds of risks with a dog they know is a liability? I've talked with the police about our city leash laws etc. It's hard to go after someone for loose dog issues if the dogs mostly stay in their yard, except for the few seconds they wander over the property line.

• golddust
    14 years ago

Kkay,

I can understand how electric fences could make a dog much worse, maybe even make a dog hate people. People come close equals a shock.

I agree. I am a total dog nut but it is *my* responsibility to control my dog. Call her and let her know what you intend to do. Tell her you are terrified for your daughter and the other children.

Buck up and do the right thing. LOL!

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

*Very* true about the electric fence, btw. Many responsible dog-centered folks I know abhor them. They can also be a problem in the event of an escape, because the dog will not return to the home yard. They're pretty much a torture method that defies the dogs' senses and saves the owners' pretty views.

• deedee-2008
    14 years ago

Please file a report with the police and animal control. When I was biking one morning about 15 years ago, two dogs came tearing out of their yard, and one bit me through my pants on my calf. When the owner came out, and told me "oh, there's not even any blood" from the puncture wounds, I knew I was on my own. My calf swelled up big as a watermelon, and I was on antibiotics for a month. The dog warden just "confined" the dogs to the property for a month...big deal! To this day, I am terribly afraid of dogs jumping on me, and still remember how scared I was that the dogs wouldn't kill me. Please save your kids and the school kids from this potential trauma. Good luck, and I am sending positive strength your way :)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I just knew no one here would say "Sit back and do nothing." I also spoke to a couple of neighbors who are friends of mine -- they all have issues with this stupid dog and were outraged that this happened, mostly because it could have really been awful if the dog had jumped on DD instead of me. Anyway, I was too late to call the animal control guy, and his hours (and mine!) are erratic, so I sent him an email outlining the incident, emphasizing that I was NOT injured, but that my concern was for what happens next time. Not sure if anything will happen, but at least there's a record of the incident. I decided to wait 24 hours to give the owner time to "do the right thing" such as call me or leave me a note, and since she didn't, I don't really think I owe it to her to tell her that I contacted the animal control officer. I really hope they start keeping that dog indoors during school drop-off and pick-up hours.

• pammyfay
    14 years ago

Let's say "stupid dog OWNER," pls, not "stupid dog."

She knows her dog was wired-crazy and did not even think to move to another area to give it and you extra space. She should have backed away--even if she ended up in the middle of the street or in somebody else's driveway. That's what a responsible pet owner does. And she felt no guilt when she ALLOWED her dog to assault you. No "Are you sure you're OK?" No "I'll pay to have that fixed."

I know you don't want to create waves with any neighbor, but clearly this woman does not want to be a good neighbor.
    You need to be very precise when you talk to other neighbors about this: ANY incident must be reported to animal control immediately. Beyond the horrible scenario of the dog jumping on a small child, what if she allowed this dog to get too close to another dog in the neighborhood? Do you think for one second she would intervene?

You also should do a quick online search to see if pets in your town need to be registered. In my town, that requires proof of rabies shots. Animal control should be making sure this dog has had its rabies shots.

Some people make me so FURIOUS!!! So furious that I START TYPING IN ALL CAPS!!!!
    (I have had 2 incidents with another dog owner in my neighborhood who allowed his big dog to go out without a leash--even just from the house to the car. When that dog saw my little terrier, guess what happened. It had its jaws around my pup's neck. Ended OK. Owner still acted like a jerk. Pup was scared to go by his house from then on. Owner has moved, thank goodness.)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Did you make a police report? Is animal control the same thing?

• User
    14 years ago

IMHO this pet owner has failed this animal completely and does not deserve to have her dog. First she failed to properly train the animal when it was a puppy, then by letting it roam the front yard w/an electric fence, she's basically allowed it to "feel" teased by pedestrians passing by. Only an idiot would put the dog in situations where it feels threatened as she has done.

We once had a dog that was teased through a fence by neighbor kids and became aggressive. In the end, we arranged to give it to some people who knew how to retrain the animal and provide it an environment that didn't subject him to the torment. It broke our hearts to loose our pet, but that's what was best for all involved. Unfortunately, she's basically distroyed that animal.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

I agree that the pet owner should have called you and I agree with everyone who said to report it and that the owner is at fault more than the dog. The invisible fence should never have been set up to go right to the sidewalk, for sure. However, I wonder if she wasn't more apologetic because you kept on walking and didn't respond to her question about your jacket. She may have been as stunned (almost) as you were since she said she thought the dog was just going to say hi and wasn't sure what to do just at that moment other than get her dog inside. One other note, she may very well know you, but not remember your name. I find I have a terrible time with that. I have neighbors I speak to every day on walks with my dogs and I just can't for the life of me recall their names. I can tell you where they live though-lol. I would have given her a call myself to let her know I was making a report-just in case she isn't sure how to contact you and also because I think that would be the right thing to do. I am not in any way saying that there is any excuse for what happened. I am only saying that maybe she is appalled, horrified, and embarrassed by the dog and the incident, but at a loss on how to let you know.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    14 years ago

cyn, she absolutely does know my name. We have lived 4 doors down from each other for 13 years in closely-packed neighborhood (so we're not a mile away -- more like 100 feet away!). I totally understand that she was most likely appalled and embarrassed and having two dogs myself, I tried to think of what I would do, and I too would have been horribly embarrassed. But I like to think -- even if I was too horrified to call -- that I would have at least slipped a note in her mailbox the next day to apologize and/or offer to pay for the jacket repair.

• happyintexas
    14 years ago

I figure the owner is hoping this incident will just disappear into the mist. I think one way to get her attention is to go pick yourself out a nice new jacket. Be a bit spendy. Walk down and present her the bill. A direct hit to the wallet can convince some people they need to take action.

And you know, I don't care if she thought the dog was just going to say hi. First, that tells me she can't read the dog very well. If she can't read him...well, not good. Second, darn it, I'm tired of other people's dogs feeling free to say hi. A well-mannered dog will sit or stand quietly until invited to greet me. When I go to a friend's house, I don't want their dog jumping all over me. I don't care if they allow it, I don't. That's what we call a 'pet' peeve.

The fact that she didn't immediately and firmly discipline the dog is what really bothers me. The dog still thinks it's okay to do what it did. There are some dogs who are mouthy, as I think this dog may have been. I used to have a German Shepherd who would hold your hand or wrist in her mouth. She had a soft mouth and a gentle manner, but that was quite unnerving if you were not expecting it. lol We worked hard to teach her not to grab.

Smack this gal in the wallet and see if she pays more attention to the damage her dog does. I would also take her a list of dog obedience classes in the area.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I agree somewhat with what happyintexas said.
    I do think you need to stand up and not just wish things were different.
    Tell her, very sincerely and nicely, that she needs to buy you a new jacket. That you will buy the jacket and the replacement value of the old jacket is_____.
    Tell her what you plan to do if she doesn't greatly restrain her dogs: go to the police.
    I know this is excruciatingly difficult but you are being a wishy washy doormat here. What if the next victim is a child and the dog goes for the face?

I have two dogs, I understand the dilemma. And if you are invited by me to my house, they will most likely jump on your legs initially. At least they are small but this is their home and I wish they didn't do that, but if dogs are problem, don't come to my house. They just love having a visitor so much.

But in public, they are restrained and protected at ALL times.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Ah. Well, then, I would be pretty angry, too. I also agree (being the owner of two large dogs) that she should have disciplined hers IMMEDIATELY. On our walks, if we see someone we don't know approaching, I either cross the street or move into a drive or lawn and the dogs are trained to sit quietly until the other person has passed. I am ALWAYS between that person and the dogs, so they would have to go through me. Mine have never shown that inclination, thank goodness, although there is one little dog in the neighborhood they just don't like. Can't understand it, but I don't give them a chance to do anything.

Hope you are able to get an apology and offer of a new jacket!

• sheesh
    14 years ago

bumblebeez, I have to tell you that I was bitten on the ankle by a small dog the owner said was always happy to have visitors, was friendly, never bit anyone before, etc. She had let me in the front door while the dog was barking; she was shushing the dog and reassuring me and bingo! the dog took a chunk out of my ankle that required stitches. The hospital ER was required to file a report with animal control and the owner was fined. The dog was not impounded as he was licensed.

The little dog knew me as we were long-time neighbors, I have always had a dog or two myself, I had been inside the house before, petted the dog before, have no idea what got into him/her (can't remember male or female)

Sorry to hijack, but I think everyone must train their animals not to have contact with people unless the person initiates it, even on the dog's turf. My dogs are trained that way for their own benefit.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Agree with all who say it's the dog OWNER. It's not the dog's fault and I feel sorry for the poor thing having to live with such a stupid human.

It's the human who needs the discipline to follow thru with properly socializing the dog, teaching it good manners so it knows how to behave around other people, other dogs, and in his own yard.

It's difficult for me to understand people who choose to own a dog but refuse to own up to the fact that all the dogs misbehaviors and bad manners are 100% their own responsibility -- it's not the dog.

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

Well, having had a dog that was aggressive towards strangers, I totally disagree with some of the above posters who say it's the dog owner's fault totally.

I spent hundred's of dollars on trainers, behaviorists, rescue remedy etc. My dog had a screw loose. He was wonderful with our family and my young children. He just didn't see any reason for anyone else to come into our yard or house. It was very stressful having Kobe because I had to know where he was at all times. He had to be crated, or on his leash if I knew someone was coming over.

He finally bit my neighbor - not a terrible bite, but enough to break the skin. I called up the breeder where I had gotten him and explained I couldn't keep him. She told me, "His daddy was always difficult around strangers too." I was like - who breeds a dog with a bad temperament?

Anyways, she took him back, they live out in the country on a farm and since he was so well trained, they kept him in their house as a pet.

I agree 100% that your neighbor needs to take action and probably have the dog put down. That was what I was going to do if the breeder wouldn't take him back. My dog's main problem was he was extremely fearful of people, and when he felt threatened, he became aggressive. He wasn't a mean dog, just saw things as threatening when they weren't at all.

I cried more tears over this dog - he loved us all to death, and I loved him too. He just couldn't handle living in suburbia. I couldn't give him up to someone who didn't understand him because I was afraid they'd become violent with him when he lunged at people etc. Amazingly enough, he did well back on the farm where they didn't want any strangers just walking up their road or coming to their house.

I also have to say, the comments about electric fences are just silly. Electric fences are for keeping your dog in your yard when they go out to pee, or to let them run around untethered. They are not designed to have a dog stay outside 24x7. Any dog who cannot be trained to stay within an electric fence has other training issues. My crazy dog Kobe was excellent in his fence. He just didn't like it when anyone came inside HIS fence.

My current dog's collar just hangs like a necklace - he wouldn't even get shocked if he went through. He knows his boundries and when he hears the clicking warning sounds, he knows he can go no farther.

I do agree that they do not protect your dog from other dogs or predators - but that's why I would never leave my dog outside for long periods of time or without checking on him.

Many people can't have a fence due to trees around their property line or the sheer size of their yard. The electric fence is a great tool to allow your dog running room without them having to be on a leash.