SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rina_

Cuttings

How are your cuttings doing?

Jades are quite easy to grow from leaves. C.o. 'Tricolor' - some revert to green, some grow variegated. These are grown from leaves and soon to be potted in individual pots (top photos taken in December 2017, bottom are same pots today):

Comments (86)

• Krista Shaffer (Philly 7b)
    6 years ago

Lizard - Your branch is the same size as my whole plant!

The second rosette plant looks like maybe a Graptoveria Debbie? Graptoveria something at least.

6 years ago

Rina-here are photos of the Chroma

Babies!

Babies on the old beheaded stem

Babies with a multihead/crested Black Prince leaf baby

This one is recovering.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Krista Shaffer (Philly 7b)
  • Related Discussions

Taking cuttings of cuttings of cuttings....

Q

Comments (6)
    The method you describe is how I save many tropical plants sold as annuals. Take cuttings for winter, plant outside for summer. Repeat in the fall. Coleus is a classic example of this. Also works well for many house plants, especially the creeping, non-woody kinds. When they look ratty, it's usually easier to start a new pot of cuttings than try to repot/rehabilitate the roots. Tradescantia zebrina (WJ) is the classic example of this. Theoretical discussions can be interesting, but not necessarily helpful across all kinds of plants. What are you propagating?
    ...See More

Root cuttings vs stem cuttings

Q

Comments (8)
    I have never tried this, but was reading about it in some textbooks on propagation my DH brought home. They say you can use the smaller feeder roots or the larger ones, cutting them between 1"-3". Put them on a couple of inches of substrate and cover with and inch or two of medium. The cuttings can be laid horizontally or vertically. If placed vertically be sure to get the polarity correct so that it's how they grew naturally ie. bottom part of root facing downward. It's also suggested to cut the bottom at an angle for roses. Concerning the planting medium, it was not specified, but referred to as "planting" medium as opposed to "rooting" medium, which I take to mean a more nutrient rich mix. I've done this often with other easy rooting plants such as those in the mint family with great success. (Too great sometimes!) : ) Let us know if you try it and your results. Most of mine aren't large enough yet, or if they are they root easily and truthfully, I don't need anymore New Dawn. : ( However, I have to transplant a huge one in March, so maybe I'll try this out. I don't think she'd miss a few roots.
    ...See More

Root Cuttings? Not stem cuttings.

Q

Comments (8)
    No stem attached at all. The root came from the bottom of the pot, it was growing out the drainage hole. When I moved the pot it came up out of the ground, so I cut it off at the bottom of the pot. Placed it in a seed starting mix with the top of the root level with the top of the soil, put a ziplock baggie over it, held on by a rubber band, for humidity. And sat it in a south facing window. It now has about a inch of new growth on it. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures, wish I had.
    ...See More

Echeveria leaf cutting: Very hard to cut at the base?

Q

Comments (4)
    You are not doing anything wrong, some Echeveria species are notoriously difficult to propagate from leaves for the reason you have given. Echeveria cante is one that springs to mind - simply not possible to detach a leaf to include meristem tissue at the base.
    ...See More
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Krista

Thank you, it looks great. I don't have much luck with it, it is wimpy.

Show us that Black Prince as it gets older; I get many leaves growing like that and hoping for crest but they turn out to be just few plants or even branched and not crest. Hope yours is!

• Lizardhandz (6a SE MI)
    6 years ago

Rina, yes I too believe that most of my jades are Crosby's Compact. It came labeled as Jade succulent when I purchased it, but looking at lots of photos I think that is correct. I guess I should call it the odd ball instead of strange just because it looks so much different than the rest of my Jades. The majority of them have more branches lower down on the trunk. This one was a cutting that got etiolated, then properly cared for, then etiolated and then pruned. I think I just called it strange because I know its history. It seems to be doing very well now and I think it will look great in the future. Can't wait for the new growth to really come in.

Krista, I think you might be right with Debbie. I've gone back and forth on it… It's really hard to tell because under different growing conditions it almost looks like a different plant.

Very Jealous of the Chroma! I'm always on the look out for that one. So far I haven't purchased any plants online because I think half of the fun with succulents is going out to different stores, nurseries, and plant shows to find them. I've only seen it in a store once... and its was a rotten mushy mess, so I passed.

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

I got a Chroma, and it got a strange fungus rot in it that I hadn't seen in 20 years of growing, even not knowing what I'm doing, and then heard from two others where this happened to a Chroma. But I'm going to try again with leaf cuttings.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Crosby's Compact is sprawling - few growing in same pot and one branch is 'trailing' to the right with multiple branches growing from it:

Here is end of that branch:
    Have to make a decision; cut it in few pieces, or repot into tub-type of container and let stem touch the mix in order to root and let branches grow along it...or just let it be as is...

• User
    6 years ago

Where I used to keep the succulents is now the propagation station. leaves, cuttings and pups. I saw you guys doing it, it looked easy!

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked User
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, it is mostly easy! I see you have leaves growing plantlets already. What plant are they from?

More of Fred Ives - this one is so easy I shouldn't even post them anymore (and am throwing most of the leaves out now). But this one looks very interesting - I have been wishing for anything to crest with no luck so far. This one also looks like it - while too tiny, and probably will end up just being few branches - I had to try:

So it is now in its own pot:

• Lizardhandz (6a SE MI)
    6 years ago

In a ratchet pulley accident I took cuttings off the top of my String of Buttons with a T5 fixture. Fixture and plants are now ok. :)

Since planting the broken tops the one on the left has taken off in three directions. I do have a variegated String of Buttons, but this is not it. These just changed from being to close to my lights. I had ran out of room, but today I picked up two T5 fixtures off Craigslist. The rack is now maxed out with lights and I have a shelf dedicated to cuttings and leaf propagation. Woo-hoo!

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Lizardhandz (6a SE MI)
  • User
    6 years ago

One black prince leaf, a few different xPachyverias and panda plant.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked User
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Leaves/cuttings of Tricolor shown in first post of this thread - out of the pots they were started in (gritty mix just falling off the roots):

Potted separately, in gritty mix. Mother leaves still attached and all are very healthy. Total of 15 plants; 9 are variegated = Tricolor; one leaf has 2 plantlets, one is Tricolor and one is green - pot in upper right corner:
    5 reverted to green. They have dark red/burgundy underside of leaves. Will see if they change as they grow bigger:

• laticauda
    6 years ago

Rina, can you recognize these cuttings? It's what's left of a friend's plants after she was keeping them in swamp water (cache pot without a hole and stagnant water).

They were also kept in the middle of the room with all the blinds closed. There are two types of plant here.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Plant with rosettes is likely Aeoium, perhaps Kiwi. Other one is way too etiolated for me to guess. I am sure you can take cuttings and re-root. A. Kiwi grows longer stems, I would take short cuttings - I mean not very long stems :) I rooted few different aeoniums without any problems, and they were quite fast.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Not intentional cuttings - but broke off couple of arms from mother plant...they were set between the pea gravel for support, and both have rooted and even growing their own offsets now. Austrocylindropuntia subulata monstrose:

6 years ago
    My E. Lilicana prop finally depleted the mother leaf.
    rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Krista Shaffer (Philly 7b)
  • Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

My second to last chance at saving a tiny Aeonium. If anyone can ID this, let me know. It was beheaded and has now fully rooted and you can see a little bit of pink coming in. This is a 1 1/2 inch pot. I don't know where it goes from here.

Does anyone write on leaves to remember what they are? You can see how disorganized I've been.

• User
    6 years ago

The top cutting rooted and was potted up. This is what I was waiting for. Three new tops! It was reset no too long ago so it must be happy.

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

This is how Kalanchoe longifloras starts out.

• Amynoacids (z6 MI)
    6 years ago

I thought I posted these, but I don't see them...I picked up a few little pieces of cactus of the greenhouse floor that turned into little cacti.

My craziest dog got my gollum jade down off the shelf and chomped it up. This was a 2-leaf piece that I found limp and floppy and full of tooth marks. Did NOT think it was going to make it.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Amynoacids (z6 MI)
  • Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

My first beheaded Aloe root. I didn't know this could be done with Aloes until I saw Rina describe it.

Three what I think are Graptopetalums from cuttings are doing very well. I just moved them to give them more light.

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

Mammillaria elongata roots very easily, even though it doesn't come off the parent without some twisting.

Thanksgiving Cactus cuttings barely got rooted and it's got new growth already. (It's under too much light.)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Not quite sure which plants to use this container for - it doesn't have ny drainage hole, but it is so porous, water disappeared in seconds (I poured enough to fill whole cavity). Didn't really drained out, but whole paper towel I set it on was wet in no time. Is it pumice?

Potting cavity is only 1 1/4" deep, but I can (I think!) drill it deeper if needed.

I have few tiny cacti, but wonder if the water could be retained for too long? Or maybe repotting this C. excilis that seems to grow quite slowly:

Any suggestions please?

• laticauda
    6 years ago

I would think you could use the wicking of the stone to do a semihydro set up. Let the rock wick up moiature from below without holding perched water in the substrate?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Interesting idea...I do not bother growing any succulents (or any other plants) in hydro or semi-hydro, but could be interesting experiment :)

• laticauda
    6 years ago

Not with a rare or valuable plant unless you have duplicates! You could probably make an orchid very happy in such a set up. The lithophiles or whatever the ones that live in rocks are called (can't recall off the top of my head.) Or whatever kind of succulent likes to live in rocks. Hoya is a succulent that may do well in such a circumstance.

I have a holey rock that's small but the hole goes all the way through so I'm not really sure how I would make that work.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I know that it would be great for semps, but that is 'waste' of a small rock :) Lithops (and Haws) have quite deep/long roots from what I know and have them in deeper containers. Hoya is too big, have one in hanging basket; and I thought of Ceropegia - but mine is growing quite a bit and I think it will outgrow it very fast...It would have to be set on a saucer anyway, and you could probably do the same with your 'holey rock'. Right now I am thinking of plants grown from leaves of pachy (looks like amethystinum or oviferum) and need to be repotted soon:

1 or 3 could look quite good in there for year or two...

• westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
    6 years ago

@rina I have some Portulacaria Afra that I planted in gritty mix and I can never get them to take root. They simply shrivel up and slowly die. What is the trick?

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Westes

P. afra takes some time to root sometimes for me too, and I had some to do same as yours. I tried to root some with little bottom heat (heat mat for seedlings); but they were drying up too - probably heat dried them up. So I started watering them after about 10 days-2 weeks while they still didn't have roots. Cuttings of other succulents do not get water for much longer. Most of those rooted, but they took a while.

Lately, I just stick them into gritty and they seem to root - and I don't really know if it is just a 'luck' or what. Cuttings I potted on Feb. 12 (photos at top of this thread) 'feel' anchored when I tug on them gently, so I believe they have some roots. I started watering them sparsely after about 10days too. Maybe you want to try that?

There were few more than what I posted - few really tiny ones;

Three in top photo still do not have roots. I pulled them out - that I don't really recommend, but they just came out when tugged. One in bottom photo looks better and feels anchored, it even started to grow new leaves. They are same size, bottom one was from little thicker branch but still very short. These were really tiny - just tips of small branches, and I didn't expect much of them. I am still leaving those 3 in pot and maybe water bit more often, just to see what happens.

Overall, they loose some leaves and look wilted for some time - more than jade. So I try to be patient and leave them potted unless stems start collapsing. If that happens, they do not make it.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    6 years ago

Maybe a bit OT, Rina, but this is what happens with an arm cutting when left alone for a couple of years. Just unearthed it today.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Howard

Not at all OT. That is a great example of successful rooting of cutting - and patience!!! I am not sure I would be able to wait for couple of years if I knew plant will grow caudex or any swollen roots.

• Jeff (5b)
    6 years ago

Beheaded Aeonium stem. Looks like I'm going to have a lot of a plant that isn't one of my favorites.

Another Thanksgiving Cactus cutting that's growing soon after rooting.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Update on some cuttings:

I posted photos of Tricolor jades grown from the leaves on March 6th; some grew variegated and some reverted to green. Here is the photo of green plants then:

Many of these are growing leaves that are very differently shaped, they are quite pointed. There is some more color on the leaves, but they are still green. I not sure if leaf shape is visible in this photo (I think best one is right photo):

Will see if they change as they grow bigger.

• bunkfree_4a_canada
    5 years ago

I have a gazillion cuttings and babies right now. I’m packing for holidays so I don’t have time to take pics of all my babies but I will share this one, a most prolific noID echeveria in desperate need of a chop-chop-chop (there are even MORE babies under the main rosette too!). I’ve grown many other plants from her leaves already and given away many cuttIngs from those.

Sept 1, 2017:

Today (still in the same pot):

Here’s my thread from last year about this plant:

NoID echeveria

ps... look at that, I figured out how to set text for my links heheh

Kd

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Bunkfree, those are gorgeous :) Love the lighting on the 2nd pic, it makes those rosettes so dramatic!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Update on Portulacaria afra showed upthread on Feb. 18/2018 (first 2 photos) - it is enjoying outdoors in lots of sunshine and quite regular rain :) - showing it from different angles:

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Tremendous shape on those, Rina. Wow. I'd love for my little sticks to end up something like that.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jeff

Thank you. I don't shape it in any way. I hope you remember original cutting - here it is just in case:

(Just to make it clear: All 4 pics are of the same plant, I wanted to show it from few different angles.)
    I think PA is quite 'easy' to grow in interesting shape, without knowing much about Bonsai and without wiring; as long as you start with cutting that has some interesting shape to begin with.

I have posted photos of 3 other PA cuttings (upthread on Feb. 12); they are more or less straigth sticks (all of those rooted).

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

Thanks, I hadn't gone back to look at that. It's very helpful. That's amazing what it grew into.

Edit: How much time was there between the before and after? The trunk is so well developed.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jeff

Quite a bit of time with this cutting - I am quite sure mostly my fault. I didn't water it properly (either too little or too much), most of the leaves fell off (happy to see them growing back!) and it had scale at least 2x.I believe that was when I kept it too moist - didn't see any scale for more than a year. I thought it was goner at least once :). IIRC, that cutting was taken mid March 2013, and potted likely within a week - 10 days.

Here is another cutting that finally rooted; I have tried before and didn't succeed...this time I literally forgot about it and it finally rooted. It was kept mostly dry. Senecio haworthii, cutting potted beg. of March 2018 (actually it was branch that clumsy me broke off...):

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Feb 12th posted cuttings of PA all rooted; they were more or less just straight sticks. They all rooted, some bit more angled than others - that is OK with me:

Few more - sorry to bore you all with just PA...2 top ones I didn't post before (they didn't look like they would make it). They have pretty contorted shapes too. Tiny ones also rooted; the black pot on bottom right had 3 tiny tip cuttings and 2 survived:

• Jeff (5b)
    5 years ago

The only before and after from this thread that I can think of.

Before (March):

After, first photo above is the one on the right, second is left:

Smallest cutting with longest root.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Jeff (5b)
  • Cheap Shoots
    5 years ago

I'm rather pleased about some newly acquired cuttings.

I got these yesterday from a rather large plant (I'd guess 1.5 × 1.5 m) growing along the footpath:

I think it is opuntia monacantha variegata monstrose? Not all the cuttings have the 'monstrose' growths, but I guess this might be because the cuttings are newer growth?

I wonder if it's okay to plant two or more pads still joined together? Or is it better to plant individual pads?

• Cheap Shoots
    5 years ago

And a neighbour gave me these cuttings:

I think they are aloe juvenna? They make me think of dinosaur tails.

Neighbour said to break up each piece into 2 or 3, which I promptly did. Later I thought I probably should have checked about that here first. Oh well. But I see I see in your post, Rina, from February, that this can work with A. juvenna? The aloes (other species) that I've taken cuttings from before were terminal cuttings. They lived, but you know what I mean ; )

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cheep Shoots

NP if you break them into shorter pieces. Just take off few leaves so there is bit of stem to stick into mix, and they grow. Here is very 'short' cutting - already rooted - just little thirsty :) It is going to get more sunlight too:

Your cuttings look very compact, and dark from lots of sunlight. They grow fast, very soon you'll have big clump of them.

ETA:

Here is comparison of pot I showed in Feb 28, 2018, and how it looks right now - that is only 4.5mo:

You can see how much branches grew (circled in red in original pic); and all offsets that grew from roots. 4" pot is full now :)
    I do not grow Opuntia, but think you can plant them either way...

• Cheap Shoots
    5 years ago

Thanks so much for all the info Rina. The growth rate of your plant is impressive. I really hope I do get a big clump, I really like this plant.

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Cheap Shoots
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cheep Shoots

I am sure you will...I have them in very gritty mix and hardly pay any attention. Mine should probably be watered bit more - we are having hot and dry Summer (unusual for my location). Are you planning on growing them in pots or in ground?

• Cheap Shoots
    5 years ago

They're in pots for now. At the moment I don't have anywhere to put them in the ground, i only grow edibles in my current beds. But I am working on a new ornamental bed that I'm hoping to grow succulents and other things. Unfortunately I suspect the spot may get a bit too wet at times, it's rather low-lying. But I will try, perhaps on mounds.

Here are some of the cuttings with some senecio and kalanchoe cuttings:

And here are some assorted cuttings/ plants. Ranging in age from 1 year to 1 week, mostly closer to a week. All the succulents were grown from cuttings ( there are a couple non-succulents)

rina_Ontario,Canada 5a thanked Cheap Shoots
  • rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I see you are very good 'recycler' !:) Good idea to paint the see-hru ones...

Lots of cuttings there. What is the grassy one on left? Looks like asparagus :)

• Cheap Shoots
    5 years ago

Haha, yes I am a good recycler: comes from being poor, and cheap : )
    I've only started painting them recently, I do think they look nicer painted. They need to be sanded first. The finish will not be very durable, but I think it will last long enough to make it worth doing.

That plant is one of the non-succulents, casuarina glauca. A tree that is native and ubiquitous here on the coast. I thought I'd try growing some suckers in pots. Not sure how they'll go, but apparently they make good bonsai. Nothing to lose!

• Cheap Shoots
    5 years ago

A few new cuttings:

At the back is a bit of jade that I found in a spot that the council overzealously cleared. This chunky bit would have been sitting there for about a month, so it's pretty dried up. Hopefully it'll be okay.

Centre left a crassula tetragona ( I think?) cutting.

Centre right an unknown aloe. It's like A.arborescens, but smaller and more compact. And the teeth are rather orange, which I have not noticed on A.arborescens ( by which I mean plants that I think are a.arborescens). But I guess it could be a cultivar or hybrid.

In the front are some echeveria (I think? Or maybe hybrids). The cuttings on the left are rather tragic, they came from a friends plant. I think the plant suffered some sort of severe mechanical damage at some point, and has been rather neglected since. I have some leaf cuttings as well. Hopefully something will work : )