SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asclepiad_fan

Echeveria leaf cutting: Very hard to cut at the base?

asclepiad_fan
5 years ago

This has been a major challenge lately:

My Echeverias leaf cuttings are not always developing a new plantlet at the cutting area.

In the past, I used to put my cuttings in a closet. I realized that leaving them out in the open (but still in a brightly lit shaded area) improves odds somewhat. However, there are problems with taking cuttings.

I followed instructions I have found on youtube, such as on Debrah Lee Baldwin's playlist, and ceriscapade playlist. When I cut the leaves as they instruct it works well, but the problem is doing it right in the first place.

I have recently purchased a mixed array of Crassulaceae. Some break easily just by touching them, and I have found that these break - normaly - just right, and rooting success is almost certain. These are Sedum Morganianum, S. Rubrutinctum, Pachyphytum Oviferum, and few varieties of the more fragile Echeverias. On the other hand, the more "rigid" Echeverias have tendency to break slightly above the base. Even shriveled leaves are hard to pull whole. The rosettes are often too compact to shove my fingers without breaking everything else. Using pincers/tweezers is obviously out of the question. How would I go about pulling the leaves right? I can see how the cutting should look like, but it's hard to do it right with few varieties.

Comments (4)