SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roarahgw

Pro vs homeowner. Counting on the pros vs doing our own due diligence

roarah
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I wonder how much due diligence we actually should do before a remodel project. I thought I did all the necessary research and question asking but still had issues, mainly with my tile choices. I take some of the blame in the problems for Internet pictures and advice often led me to believe I could achieve similar results within my budget and my tiler did not want to tell me otherwise. He should have told me otherwise for not doing so led to him losing profit and I ended up paying less than I should have for a good final product. But my savings also came at a big stress level and time cost so I still paid fully for the final product in a way too.

I keep seeing posts where the home owners have expected end results and yet are surprised by them. I had this outcome too so I am not judging. I wish my research had included more spec and industry standards rather than relying on Pinterest, houzz and other home owners. I could have avoided issues that way. I would not buy a car without doing a lot of research about it and after only talking to a dealer but some do a remodel that way.

I also think we as home owners get very defensive when a pro advices we can not afford to do what we want how we want because we see so many magazine quality rooms online now that we think they are in moderate everyday homes as a norm when they are actually often in 1 percenter's estates not middle class American houses. Are too high expectations leading to unsatisfactory results and unrealistic responsibilty for the pros?

I guess this post is me thinking out loud but I would love to hear others' thoughts on this, the Pros especially.

Comments (20)