SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

What's for Dinner 355

annie1992
6 years ago

The last thread hit the magic "100" and was becoming difficult to load all the pictures, so I'll start here.

Ann T, every time I see your bread, I just want toast. (sigh) I eat a hot dog about once a year, but I sure wouldn't turn one down that looked like that!

sleevendog, thanks for the pickled mustard seed recipe. I'm not a huge fan of pickles for just eating, but I like them on sandwiches or things like roast beef. My oldest daughter loves mustard, so she'll like this too, I'm definitely giving this a try. I'm thinking it would be awesome on a cuban type sandwich or even just plain old roast beef.

Neely, it must be in the air, we had pork chops too. Mine were breaded with homemade bread crumbs and parmesan cheese, with some of Penzey's Mural of Flavor for seasoning. Baked until brown and served with roasted sweet potato planks and green peas:

Today we had a visitor, an elderly neighbor who was a friend of Dad's. He sat down to visit and stayed for five hours, I asked him to stay for supper but he was eating with another neighbor, he apparently has a social calendar, LOL. Anyway, I didn't cook so we had some of my homecanned cabbage roll casserole, glazed carrots and slices of homemade bread:

I had to take a quick break and go take a picture of The Princess, all dolled up for her first high school Homecoming. Her cousin KayLynn went as her "date" and their dinner date was at Buffalo Wild Wings, LOL. She's not allowed to date until she's 16, but her Dad waived that rule just for tonight and just for KayLynn. No boys will get that special treatment from Dad, I'm pretty sure...

Princess is on the right, of course. Yes, they're standing outside. In sleeveless dresses. In Michigan. In heels. With open toes. I guess when you're 14 it's different.

Annie

Comments (103)

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Ann, you'll shake your head (others will I'm sure) but before joining this forum, aside from Hoisin paste, I had no idea some of the meals I prepare had anything remotely do to with Asian or Indian ingredients/cuisines (albeit my own version). Learning is always a good thing : )

I googled high protein flour, and only found one I could order here, and it was too costly to consider. I will always be admiringly envious of your bread abilities, your crust, and the shine on your crumb. I love gazing at photos of your bread, thank you for always showing the crumb!

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    6 years ago

Cute fry bag and nice looking sammies. No fresh tomatoes yet but it was 75º yesterday so I smell Spring. (45º today)...

Such a silky crumb.

Just had pulled pork taco night. Only fresh made white corn tortillas here. Have never cared for the crispy or the flour.

Last night made Tomato soup with roasted garlic cream. And porcini risotto balls I found in the freezer....need to make risotto again soon.

Pups had beef carpaccio with mixed grain and veg, hard boiled egg, greek yogurt and micro green stems. Made them a big batch for the freezer I make every couple weeks. Veg, grain, seaweed. 20% mixed with raw beef, chicken, fish, ofal

• Related Discussions

John Deere GX355

Q

Comments (4)
    A X495 is a much larger machine. Deck will be shaft drive on the big Xs. There is a 3pt hitch kit (cat 0-1) for the big Xs. I had serious doubts about the X4xx doing much with a back blade but was surprised. My current machine is an X485 which is fuel injected gasoline powered. Mine has hydraulic outlets... I think all of that size do. Yet to install the pto kit... $800 last time I priced. I've had a 345 (gas version). Nice lawnmower! Bit smaller deck and everything is belt drive. Actually I liked the belt driven deck... very easy to remove. I had a snowblower attachment so removing the deck was something I did yearly. There is a power bar under the tractor that provides hydraulic deck/blower lift but no output ports. Snowthrower set me back $1400 with chains!... fully up to every bit of snow Michigan could dump in my 400' driveway. I like my X485 better then the 345 for most things. The little 345 made a better snowthrower because the smaller size was easy to get in tight spots.. plenty of snow throwing power. The x485 wins hands down on ride comfort... those larger tires and a better seat really take some bumps out of the ride. I like the fender well tool box... place to keep my hitch pins. It still pulls a wagon with the 3pt but you have to be careful with turns. Lights on the X485 are wonderful... love the back work lights as I often push snow in the dark. With the X485 I use tire chains and a 5' back blade for snow... don't know what they cost as they came with the tractor. Not as nice as the 345/thrower combo. Back blade works well enough I've not spent money on a thrower for the X485. I buried my Blazer 4x4 truck in the drive last winter and the X485 had no problem plowing all the way around the truck. It will even move light snow without tire chains. I have a cultivator attachment that digs up my garden fairly well... a whole slew of attachments opens up with the 3pt hitch. With the smaller 300 size you only have what fits that tractor. I don't care for the shaft drive deck on the X485... have to get down with an allen wrench to unhook it. Not a huge deal but I'm getting old to be on my knees reaching under a tractor. Issue is more my old body then any defect of the JD system.
    ...See More

Is the Bryant multi stage furnace reliable (355CAV )?

Q

Comments (1)
    the 355CAV Bryant Evolution is reliable and top of line. you do want the Evolution controller-no substitute please. make certain with dealer that it qualifies for tax credit. VS technology and multistage heat exchangers have been around many years. IMO
    ...See More

Gas Range 35.5" wide

Q

Comments (13)
    "This morning I turned the oven on again and tested it." Maybe the thing to do is to just calibrate it. Figure out what the oven "temperature" setting has to be set to to achieve actual temperatures of, say, 350, 400, 450, and 500. If the range is consistent (i.e., temperature setting X always results in actual temperature Y), just make a label with the setting-to-actual values and use the range as is. Not worth spending thousand of dollars if you have a workaround.
    ...See More

pool depth 3.5-5?

Q

Comments (2)
    There is no best! It just depends on what you want and how you plan to use the pool. Ours is 3' - 6' deep and it worked well when we had young kids and adults over for a party. Here is ours: Swimming area is 15' x 30' Sun shelf is 7'6" x 10' and 6" deep. Spa 6'8" x 10'
    ...See More
  • Solsthumper
    6 years ago

Lots of good food still happening here. I don't always have time to cook, but when I do, I don't.

Anniebanani, I've been enjoying pictures of princess Makayla (and the rest of the monarchy) since she was born, and yet, I was surprised to see her all dolled-up for her first homecoming. Where has the time gone?

This is the most gluten-laden thread I've seen here in 20 years. Ann, in my years baking bread, I've only managed to get a 'glossy' crumb once. Once, I repeat.

No trouble achieving an open crumb, but the glossiness remains a mystery to me. So, I'll just keep admiring yours from afar, and hope whatever alchemy took place the first time, will repeat itself again, when I least expect it. And then, I'll post a big fat picture that can be seen from space.

At any rate, I want pancakes for dinner tonight. Thanks a lot, Neely ☺

Sol

6 years ago

good soup tonight...

(the dog food post was a bit of joke by the way...though they do eat well : )

• User
    6 years ago

Sol, nice to see you here.

Sleevendog, You make the best soups.

Moe loves salads, but they are not my idea of dinner. Since I wasn't that hungry, I thought I would make him happy.

Stopped at the grocery store on the way home from work and picked up the makings for a salad inspired by Martha Scott.

Using Linda's suggestion of rice wine vinegar, I pureed raspberries in the vinegar (using the immersion blender) and sweetened slightly with a little sugar.

Toasted pecan halves in the oven.

For the dressing, I mixed some of the raspberry vinegar mix, into Hellman's mayo, added some poppy seeds, seasoned with a minced garlic clove, salt and pepper.

Dressing was a pretty pink.

Used Romaine lettuce, although I think that baby spinach would have been a good choice too.

Topped the lettuce with sliced strawberries, sliced red onion, and toasted pecans. Tossed with the dressing and finished with some Gorgonzola Dolce. I think Feta would have worked as well.

Moe called it incredible. So I guess I will have to make it again for him when local strawberries are in season.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi solsthumper, nice to meet you! I’ve seen your Pavlova's – you must be an angel to make such heavenly creations : )

sleevendog, your tomato soup looks and sounds fantastic. I did get the ‘beef carpaccio joke – I make our dog’s food due to a liver disorder and Hepatic Encephalopathy (she can’t eat our leftovers,tho’).. I use Dr. Dodd’s recipe with changes and added minerals/vitamins of fresh cod, sweet potatoes, squashes, etc.

Annie, your salad looks as good as Martha’s – I’m betting DH would love it too… but like you we’d not consider it a dinner : )

Last night was Coconut and Thai Red Curry Soup with Shrimp – I found the red curry paste not too spicy for me.

Photos for uploading · More Info

…topped with cauliflower couscous (or cauliflower rice, whichever one prefers) instead of a carb. The soup was very rich and somewhat layered, and I’ll make it again as we both slurped it up, but DH gave me all his shrimp (he won’t eat shrimp unless it has a profuse number of herbs), so next time I’ll use chicken for him.

DH did not go carb-less last night… I’d not made Hokkaido bread using the tangzhong method in a couple months (does anyone make this not using tangzhong/roux?). My recipe is richer recipe than KA’s or others I’ve seen of late and I barely could eat one roll. Still, all that soft fluffiness was a change for the evening. For anyone unfamiliar, it does not have the springy-sponginess of a store-bought bread, and crushes easily.

Makes a splendid dinner roll

For those who read the Valentine’s thread and missed my update and requested I post pics, the recipe boxes DH had made for me which got lost in the mail (Pennsylvania) finally arrived – an extravagant gift to me, and I will treasure them always : ) Very high quality ‘gallery-worthy’, and it won’t take me long to fill both of them! Aren’t they pretty?! I’m soooo lucky
    ETA: This is the front of the boxes, you can't even see the opening seam at certain angles, the grain is so well aligned.

• User
    6 years ago

2many, that soup looks incredible! Love Thai food! Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Btw, can't believe you're still cooking like this. When's the remodel supposed to start?

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Hey Cin, c'mon, you know I like to share recipes! Of course!

We're doing several rooms for the first part, so they are now empty except a few pieces of furniture in the living room, kitchen, and dining room we can't handle ourselves (they should move it to the garage next week) - and we'll start ripping up flooring, etc. Truthfully? I'm dragging my feet on packing up most the kitchen, and DH is not being encouraging as he likes my cooking. I've got kitchen non-essentials packed and moved. Next weekend I start in earnest on packing the kitchen while DH begins demo on the other areas. I dread not cooking because it makes me feel good... I dread the demo, work, and mess... I dread it all! But I look forward to the final result! Easy and functional is our direction.

I will say again, the soup is just very rich (makes it good tho'!) and honestly I doubt I could have eaten as much had I sub'd rice or noodles instead of the cauliflower... even DH agreed the cauliflower was great...

Coconut and Thai Red Curry Soup with Shrimp

Ingredients:

• ½ lb raw shrimp, peeled

• 2 Tbsp coconut oil, divided

• 1/2 onion, diced

• 1 head broccoli, cut into florets

• 2 tsp minced garlic

• 2 tsp minced ginger

• 5 Tbsp Thai red curry paste

• 1-1/4 cups chicken broth, plus 1/4 cup

• 2 cans (13.5oz) full-fat coconut milk

• 1/2 Tbsp fish sauce

• 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced very thin

• sea salt

• fresh ground black pepper, to taste

• green onion for garnish

Directions:

(Prepare rice, rice noodles, or cauliflower rice ahead of time)

1. 1) Combine all the coconut milk, 1 ¼ cups of the broth, and fish sauce in a small bowl. Whisk lumps in the coconut milk until smooth. Set aside.

2) Heat a medium/large soup pot with 1 Tbsp coconut oil. When the pan is hot, add the shrimp, cooking about 1 minute each side (depends on their size), until the outsides are seared and pink but the inside isn’t completely cooked through. Remove the shrimp and set aside.

3) In the same soup pan, heat the second Tbsp coconut oil and add in the onions, ginger and garlic, plus a pinch of salt. Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes until the onions start to become translucent, stirring so the onions do not burn.

4) While the onions are cooking... Put the raw broccoli florets in a microwave-safe dish with about ¼ cup of your broth, put a top on it, and set the microwave for 3-5 minutes. Allow the dish to cool while making the rest of the soup.

5) When the onions are translucent, add the curry paste and stir constantly for about 30 seconds, then stir in the coconut milk mixture and ½ tsp sea salt or so, until well combined. Turn the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, then add in the red peppers and broccoli cooking an additional 5 minutes.

6) Taste to adjust salt and pepper. Add the shrimp in to warm and cook through just before you’re ready to serve. Spoon into a bowl of rice, rice noodles, or top with Cauliflower Rice. Garnish with green onion.

(I garnished with chives)

Cauliflower rice/couscous:

Clean and cut 1 head cauliflower into florets. Put in a food processor and blend until the raw cauliflower looks like rice/couscous. At this point it can be store in the fridge for a couple days.

Put 1 Tbsp oil in a saute pan heating to medium, add cauliflower, and either stir constantly or cover and stir occasionally for about 5 minutes - you want it tender-crisp. You can add seasons if you wish.

ETA: ha ha! Well, add 'seasons' to the cauliflower if you can figure out how! I prefer seasonings if I'm serving it secretively as a side!

• neely
    6 years ago

Yes you do have very good soups sleevendog, mind you, your food is all good.

The raspberry dressing thread sounded so appetising and I see appealed to your husband as well AnnT due to your cooking skills.

Beautiful bread 2many, and your Thai soup looks fantastic.

Saturday morning baking saw me making cinnamon scrolls. The dough was a bit too wet but I managed to get it rolled over and tasted good, fluffy but rich.

I love this forum so much. The discussions and ideas in other threads about bread baking helped me decide not to add more flour to the cinnamon scroll dough, which I probably would have done in the past. As someone mentioned, if the dough looks puffy then it might be OK, and it was.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago

2many, those recipe boxes are absolutely beautiful, well worth waiting for, I think. I love wood, and those are just perfect.

I have made the Japanese "milk bread", and you reminded me that I should make it again, the grandkids loved that soft/spongy texture, they're not so much enthralled with my favorite crusty rustic loaves, LOL.

Oh, neely, that looks like my idea of breakfast, yum.

AnnT, Elery also loves salad. Me, not so much. I was sick a couple of nights ago and so he made himself taco salad. Yours looks good, and like you, I think local strawberries would be nice.

sleevendog, I was interested in your dog's dinner! As you know, my dogs eat what I eat, and I'm cleaning the freezer and pantry, so your particular combination is of interest to me. Mine both hate greens, though, so the vegetable would have to be carrots or maybe green beans.

So, besides the taco salad, I made a pork tenderloin one evening, rubbed with Italian seasoning and served with baked potatoes and Elery's beloved pink half runner beans. I still have buckets of potatoes in the store room, so I keep trying to use them up. Good thing I like potatoes!

Elery and I took a trip to Grand Rapids to the ethnic grocery stores to stock up on staples like tahini and Kecap Manis. Horrock's had "Habanero Hellfire Beer Brats", so I picked up a couple for Elery, he says they are good and hot. I didn't ask to share, he had one for breakfast. With more potatoes, eggs and a piece of pita from Mediterranean Island Grocery. Yes, that fleck of range is actually a piece of habanero, which immediately scared me from tasting any!

In addition to our regular items like lentils in bulk and a gallon can of olive oil, we managed to pick up a quart of kimchee at the Korean market, the caviar spread and antipasto peppers at the Mediterranean Market, some Californian olive oil at Horrocks, as well as pita bread, garbanzos, raw almonds, green coffee beans, asparagus for 97 cents a pound, two head of cauliflower, some rice noodles, all the "odd" things I can't find at my big box grocery store.

Oh, and a very cute platter on clearance, left from the holidays...

So, now I'm set and ready to cook, I'm still cleaning the pantry and freezer. I've decided that every day I'm going to choose at least one item from the freezer or pantry, and find a way to cook it. Today I made Lars' Algerian chicken from one of our homegrown broilers and served it with a pea and peanut salad (got that bag of frozen peas used up!) and the last of the mac and cheese (out of the refrigerator with that).

I also removed a couple of bags of frozen horticultural beans that were marked 2015 and made some not-really-refried-beans. The cranberry type beans were cooked with some leeks (also from the freezer), cumin, garlic, chili powder and olive oil. I think they would also be good mixed with some of my home canned salsa, so I'll try that too.

So, what's for dinner tomorrow? Darned if I know, but I have all the exotic ingredients to make something, LOL. Maybe rhubarb crisp, I have rhubarb in the freezer and some granola that needs to be used up...

And, since I bought a pound of mustard seeds, I need to make sleevendogs pickled mustard seeds now.

Annie

6 years ago

Quick from the freezer chili...then I had to 'tart-it-up' with fresh things.

I had a love adorable suffering pup with allergies at age 5....traditional vets shook their heads and gave him the 'band-aid shots' ...steroids. Said no help was available.

I beat that and found alternative methods and he lived happily 10 more years.

I made a few more vinegar pickles...with the brown seed. Toasted low heat until popping...soak overnight in cold water then recipe... all great, but the blonde/yellow is still the best. And I bet, like any seed, the batch, the harvest, makes a difference as gardeners know.

Here is the original recipe again...I do think keeping it on the back burner but really low and slow, on and off heat, giving the seeds a good chance to 'plump', not unlike a bean soaking overnight...let it sit for hours. Give it time to absorb the 'pickle' marinade.

• User
    6 years ago

2many, thanks for the recipe. I may try it this week or next while dh is out of town.

I dread the demo, work, and mess... I dread it all!

All y'all doing the work yourselves? We had a contractor and were able to close off the rest of the house, so it wasn't as bad as living with the mess on a daily basis. Set up a temporary kitchen in one of the bedrooms. Was a good thing, because we needed it for a year. A year of washing dishes in a bus bin in the tub. Pray I never have to do that again.

Right now we have all living and dining room furniture in a POD in the front yard while we do ceiling repairs and paint. The worst part is over. Now waiting for the painter to recover from the flu, so he can work his magic.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

OT: CindyMac, WOW, what a neat and organized temp kitchen! Nope, no contractor, we’re hiring ourselves, and have people lined up for most things but we touched base with most yesterday and today and they’re busy – I know it’ll drag out and take time. DH will do most plumbing, electrical, and frame in walls that we’ll move. I’ll paint, distress the bricks, do some demo, help with trim, brick work (inside). Our kitchen will be nowhere initially, but after some time it’ll be in one of the rooms we’ll be remodeling, so it’ll have to be minimal and movable. Have a utility tub but we’re having the ceiling done there also. Today was nice, so we re-plotted our backyard to re-plant trees soon (we have too much on our plates!), plus seeded grass again. This next week we start in earnest, so I need to make a lot of bread dough for pizzas on the grill, and I’ve got the freezer full. Still, it won’t last us long! We’ll have a microwave, fridge, electric skillet, and the grill. DH has an airplane hanger (sold his plane) but it sprung ceiling leaks, so all furniture and boxes are/will be moved into guest room and garage. We’re crowded, it’s a mess, and my voice echoes! You know what I’m talking about!

We’ve one room which will be untouched aside from the baths: our bedroom. We’ll be living there and on our back porch for a year, I imagine. Uhg. So glad to hear most of yours is done, and I wish you a speedy finish! I’ll miss this forum and all the cooking friends I’ve made!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Cindy, I especially like your cat!

2many, you know we'll still be here, waiting for you to get back. And you can always go to the library and use their computers if you get lonely and miss us!

sleevendog, I made your mustard seeds. As you suggested I cooked it on very low heat for a long time. So long it actually thickened enough that I could draw the spatula through and it would leave a "path". Elery LOVES the stuff, and I had some on chicken tonight, but I'm thinking it would be awesome on a bratwurst...

I needed something to go with last night's bean dip, so I cut up some tortillas and baked them for chips:

I made that rhubarb crisp with some granola topping, keeping my "daily promise" to use something from the freezer. Topped it with a bit of whipped cream, I should have made it prettier, but I just plopped it on top:

Last night I made Lars' Algerian chicken, served it with a side of pea and peanut salad. This is Elery's plate, he had the last of the leftover macaroni and cheese with his:

So what's for supper tonight? Elery made chicken salad with the leftover Algerian chicken, and we stuffed it into the pita bread we bought at the Mediterranean market. The rest of the pea and peanut salad and I forgot to take pictures, I was helping Amanda defrost her freezer.

Gotta figure out what to take from the freezer and pantry for tomorrow's supper. Sleevendog has me leaning toward soup. Chicken Noodle? Clam Chowder? Maybe potato? We'll see what sounds good tomorrow, I guess.

Annie

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Nice home, Cindy! And I love your kitty too.

I made hamburger stiry-fry with bagged coleslaw mix and bean sprouts and water chestnuts. It's a keeper.

The other night was pork chops. I like mine breaded, hubby likes his plain, with lots of spices.

• User
    6 years ago

Annie, do you ever get to Ruzzo's when you are in Grand Rapids?

Jasdip, I would be happy with either of your pork chops, I like them both ways.

Last night's dinner.

A simple pasta based on Lidia Bastianich's recipe for Cacio e Pepe, for those that love pepper as much as I do.

Moe's breakfast yesterday.

I use to make Chile Cheese squares years ago as an appetizer but instead I made it as a "Pie" for breakfast, topped with salsa and sliced avocado.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

Yesterday's dinner was out at an Afghani restaurant in West Haven, Connecticut, where I ate lamb kebab, a spicy spinach side, and an eggplant side with seasonings and tomato and yogurt. I got there too late for the appetizers (my phone, aka GPS, has gone AWOL, so I had to write out directions that I got skewed off from, alas... but I DID get there!) Dinner was wonderful! If I'd been there in time for the apps, I would not have had the room for much of the dinner, most likely.

No pics - I am not taking restaurant photos without a discrete phone with which to do so.

Yesterday's lunch: a vegetarian Ethiopian black-eyed pea stew, with coconut milk and a variety of Ethiopian spices. There are leftovers...

I took a food photography class back in 2017, and while I haven't had the chance to bring all the good things the instructor said into my photography (I STILL have a strong desire to EAT before things get cold!), one comment he made was that overhead shots are overdone and passé. Okay, so I provide both...

Some earlier meals: Mardi Gras Creole, with Mussels and Andouille, etc:

And for Lunar New Year, a Korean stuffed mushroom dish: stuffed in this case with ground beef, a little tofu, and some great seasonings. And a good dipping sauce I'll use for other meals, too.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago

AnnT, I do sometimes get to Russo's, but I usually plan my trips around the area of town I'm in. If I need to get to the Mediterranean Market, then Horrock's and the Asian place are within a mile, and The Candied Yam is right across the street for lunch. Northwest side/downtown for Bud's neurologist or the hospital lab? Fresh Thyme, Downtown Market and The Cheese Lady, maybe Kroeze's, Kingma's and Ken's Fruit Market. Southeast side/28th Street? Russo's, Trader Joe's, Beltline Bar for their "world famous burritos". There are just so many places, so far-flung. If I lived closer it would be easier, but when the drive is 1 1/2 hours each way, there's only time for a handful of stops, lunch, then we head home. Russo's has "remodeled" and "upgraded" and have a huge wine section, but they've lost some of the character they used to have plus their prices went up. As a result, a stop that used to be nearly every time I went to time now has become an occasional trip depending on the itinerary for the day.

Meanwhile, Elery would LOVE Moe's breakfast.

Artemis, do you have a recipe for that stew with the black eyed peas? That sounds really good to me.

Jasdip, Your hamburger stir fry sounds almost like a quick cabbage roll casserole, minus the rice and tomatoes. That's a good idea, and I'll bet Amanda would like it too. She's the only person in her house that will eat vegetables, so it would be all hers!

Here your mashed potatoes and asparagus made me want mashed potatoes and asparagus. Since I'm still in the "clean the freezer" phase, I had mine with a package of blue gill fillets, dipped in tempura batter and fried. I also found an open package of blueberries that needed using, so I made blueberry cornmeal muffins.

I had gotten lovely thick asparagus at Horrock's for 97 cents a pound, and so I just couldn't pass it up. I still have another bundle, so another meal to look forward to.

Annie

6 years ago

Not had asparagus in ages. Miss it.

Had the classic burger...but this time with red onion 'pickle/jam', mustard pickle, Maytag blue, avocado, and completely forgot about the prosciutto bacon I put in using the kaiser roll 400 heat...we had it for dessert. (oven off it was perfect )

Nice med rare burger on the rare side...

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Amazing meals from all!

ann_t, ,my apologies, I accidentally called you ‘Annie’ when referring to your lovely salad. Pasta… pepper… just works! I love a meatless pasta, but DH thinks he’s been shorted if I serve it that way! Your chili cheese squares make me miss NM and all those fantastic fresh green chilies sold by the roadside!

CindyMac, I didn’t mean we are hiring ourselves.. meant we were doing our own subcontracting. I hope you enjoy the soup!

neely, your cinnamon rolls look great! Yes, it’s so hard not to add more flour to a wet dough, but the results are always so good when you don’t!

annie1992, your pork tenderloin meal looks lovely – I’d love some of Elery’s beans! I adore the platter – great find! Your rhubarb crisp sounds so good – I’ve eaten rhubarb once but can’t remember it… I’ve always felt whipped cream on something homey and comforting like a crisp should be piled on, never piped : )

Jasdip, your breaded pork chops, asparagus, and mashed potatoes makes me hungry – that’s the best looking meal to me right now.

artemis_ma, may I please beg you for your black-eyed pea Ethiopian soup recipe? I think I have time and room in the freezer for one more soup dish before I pack the kitchen and that looks great! Pretty please?

Good looking burger sleevendog… I make similar but with a bacon jam, no blue cheese (too rich with the bacon and onion jam!).

Tried the pizza on the grill Friday – it stuck to my peel despite tons of cornmeal. DH and I worked furiously to get it on the stone but got some burn areas… We need to get a pizza pan I’m thinking. The grill does amazing things to the crust! Sausage, mushroom, basil, mozz and nicely aged parm reggiano, onion.

Saturday morning cinnamon rolls

Saturday night was fuji apple and mixed greens salad with homemade mustard dressing. Had some mushroom and spinach stuffed ravioli I’d made a few months back I needed to get out of the fridge... served it with a pancetta sauce.

Sunday morning I sliced 2 of the Hokkaido bread pull-aparts in half, made French toast with crème fraiche and berries. Seriously decadent. DH added maple syrup to his!

Sunday afternoon, in between other things I made annie1992's chocolate chip cookies (thank you for the recipe) and DH and I ate 4 huge cookies immediately - they are rich, chewy, and my favorite choc chip recipe now! Froze the rest for renovation-time : )

This was a bread-heavy weekend... Sunday night found me exhausted, so a simple chicken and veggies soup with a plain spinach salad and the rest of the mustard dressing... too tired and too hungry to take pic's.

• Pat_T
    6 years ago

It's been quite a while since I checked in here. Annie, exactly how did the Monkey Princess become old enough to be in HIGH school? I haven't been gone that long, have I?

Not much news here - I'm still with my honey of almost 4 years now (domestic bliss is wonderful!) and Erin actually graduated from high school in January (1-1/2 semesters early!) and will be enrolling in the local community college in the Fall. Currently we are happily applying for scholarships and financial aid.

I cook and bake all the time - most of my pictures get posted on Facebook and I see Ann's stuff all the time there as well. I just forget to come here!

There are days I need to knocked off my high horse and humbled. A couple of weeks ago this happened:

Never one to throw away perfectly good cake just because I had to PRY it out of the pan with a knife - this ensued:

I'll try to remember to check in more than once a year!

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    6 years ago

ann_t - how do you store your baked bread? I find that it is hard as a rock the next day but I see you posting often about day old batard for a sandwhich....

• User
    6 years ago

Lisaw2015, It freezes beautifully. Just wrap in a paper towel and into a zip lock freezer bag.

Also, one of the benefits of the new Cuisinart Steam oven is that it will take a 4 day old baguette and refresh it. Four to five minutes on the bake steam setting and you would think it was a freshly baked loaf.

• User
    6 years ago

Pat, even though I keep up with you on Facebook it is nice to see you posting here again.

2ManyDiversions, the perfect pizza crust.

I might have mentioned this before..... I have a 17" pizza pan, the kind with the holes and it is what I use when making a larger thin crust pizza, to transport to the stone on the grill. Once it has baked for a couple of minutes it is easy to slide the pizza off and on to the stone. Easier than using my pizza peel.

You can buy these pans in smaller sizes as well.

Last night's dinner. A simple pasta with a side of grilled Italian sausage.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

ann_t, good heavens that looks so good! Your sauce looks delicious too! Would you kindly refrain from using the word "simple" though? I'm so exhausted now, and anything other than boiling water seems 'not simple' : )

'the perfect pizza crust' Coming from the Bread Goddess, you make me feel so good! I was surprised what the grill did with it! Especially the outside crust.. OMGoodness!

Yes, you mentioned the pan, but of course I thought I could get away without one - and feeling foolish now. I think I've found one on amazon, so will order it with some renovation items we need. DH says just put flour on the peel... uh huh. And this is why he can't cook. The man (love him dearly of course!) thought people 'fried' lasagna noodles : - 0

• User
    6 years ago

2ManyDiversions, I don't like cornmeal on my bread or pizza peel. I don't like the gritty taste from the cornmeal that sticks to the crust. Rather than regular flour I use rice flour to dust my board for proofing bread, and for the pizza peel when I use one. The loaves and the pizza slide off the peel easier with rice flour.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Thank you ann_t, now I have questions! I think I'll try the rice flour - the peel I got was metal as I didn't care for the wood one I had before - too thick to get under some things like... Pizza! But I'm not sure which pan to get if the rice flour doesn't work... so many say they don't work on the grill at high heat, but I know yours does... Which brand do you have, do you happen to remember?

• User
    6 years ago

2ManyDiversions, I bought mine years ago at a restaurant supply place in Victoria.

This is the largest one that I have. It is 17". I think the next time I'm in Victoria I will check to see if they have a 20" pan.

It has never been a problem and my grill gets very hot.

The brand is stamped in the centre. Crown Custom Metal Spinning Inc.

Crown Cookware

• neely
    6 years ago

So much great food being cooked... I seem to have lost the plot on where to comment.

I see a lot of great pizza. My offering is a very thin crust from the dough I froze a couple of weeks ago. Anyway it tasted good. DH says he can never go back to bought pizza now he's had homemade... something about the 'garlic from a jar' taste with the bought ones.

This had red sauce, capers, olives and halved bocconcini with fresh basil added after cooking. My pizza pan doesn't have holes. Seems to work OK ... This took 12 mins in a 240C ( 464F) oven.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Thank you ann-t, they've got a store in the US - and so reasonable! I was seeing a lot of non-stick, and hot as our grill gets, I didn't want that. I'll remember about the rice flour too - you are such a help!

neely, great looking pizza! Wish DH liked olives as much as I do... but I could sneak in some capers! Your basil looks good. Too early to plant here, and the store-bought is so wilty.

• User
    6 years ago

Good that they have a store in the US. The prices are really good I thought so too.

Neely, your pizza is a beauty. I like everything but the capers.

Here is a preview of what is on the menu tonight.

Quail.

Marinated Greek style, with olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, oregano, minced garlic and salt and pepper. Will be cooked on the grill. I'm thinking just some roasted potatoes and Greek Salad on the side.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

...and that ^^ is why I must stop participating in this forum when we pack up our kitchen. Ann... I LOVE quail! I can't find it here. Ever. My dad used to hunt them, and they were fabulous! Haven't had quail since our honeymoon a year and a half ago - and then it was an amuse bouche - I could've eaten 10 orders!

I'll be there by late tonight.... : )

• alicerh
    6 years ago

I guess I may just be lucky but I never have pizza problems. I do scatter corn meal on the wood peel. I shake several times as I'M topping to be sure it's loose. Then with a jerk of the peel In the oven it slides off.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Pat, Erin is graduated from high school? Really? The molasses cookie fan is that old? (sigh) And yes, the Monkey Princess is in high school. Where does time go? Anyway, I'm happy to see you here again and your cake made a perfect trifle. I think I might like that better than the cake.

Wow, it must be pizza night here on the forum, pizza everywhere. I'd better make some for Elery soon, I need to make some bread dough anyway. Neely, I just planted some basil in a pot in the kitchen window, it's going to be months before I can grow any outside and dried just is not the same.

Alice, that's how I get pizza off the peel too, my grandson is just amazed. It doesn't take much to entertain that boy.

2many, you have been very busy! I'll have one of those cinnamon rolls and a slice of french toast and just happily lapse into a carbohydrate laden coma, thank you. (grin) It all just looks so good.

AnnT, I think Elery wants to come and live near you, LOL. He also remarked that he has got to get the grill going again, that's a very good thing for ME, so thanks!

Here I was entertaining my Mother while Elery and my brother replaced a burned out headlight in her car. She was happy with the muffins from last night, and promptly had two with a cup of coffee, then was no longer hungry for dinner. She's worse than kids, spoiling her supper, but what could I do? So I made butternut squash soup, kind of a light supper. Elery had a fish sandwich with his, made with last night's leftover blue gill and a generous smear of that pickled mustard seed. Just soup was enough for me:

I wanted a snack later, though, so the popcorn thread prompted me to pull out the WhirleyPop. Elery had the Sriracha powder on his while I considered the kettle corn option, but eventually just settled on butter and salt, the old classic standby.

Wednesday an elderly friend is coming for supper. His wife is in a nursing home and so he's alone at home. Because he's diabetic, I try to be careful with the menu while simultaneously making sure that there's something for him to take home and reheat. Tomorrow I'll be baking his favorite whole wheat bread, and working on the menu.

Annie

6 years ago

It was a pizza weekend...baby artichoke hearts, prosciutto, olives, 3 cheese. (what?!, no mustard seed?)

• neely
    6 years ago

Wow it certainly was a pizza weekend, and I love that they are all different. Lol sleevendog.

Greek style quail sounds delicious and I hope you enjoyed it AnnT.

I love butternut squash soup Annie... a favourite, I also enjoy a left over fish sandwich.

I made a salted caramel frozen yoghurt. I made the caramel using a can of condensed milk and using the heating in the microwave method. I wasn't very happy with the result but it was quick. There are lots of recipes for doing this if you google. I didn't really follow a recipe, just cooked up the condensed milk and then added some yoghurt when it was cool. A sprinkle of salt crystals over the top. I must boil up several cans in order to have dulce de leche on hand.

The yoghurt made it less sweet and a little tangy.

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    6 years ago

Annie1992 - I LOVE that platter! Who makes it? I MUST look for it online!

6 years ago

Drum roll for Ann_t's quail plating.... : )

• annie1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lisa, the "Farm Sweet Farm" platter? The back of it says "Daphne" and "Creativeco-op". Also microwave/dishwasher/oven safe. It measures 8" x 12", so just the right size for a cheese ball and crackers or some cookies for a snack. I like it a lot and my girls are already fighting over it, but they can't have it!

If you can't get one on line, would you like me to look for one on March 6, when I go back to GR?

Annie

• User
    6 years ago

Neely, I'm not a yogurt fan, but I am a big fan of anything caramel. I would love your frozen creation.

Sleevendog, Nice thin crust on your pizza.

Last night's dinner.

Greek - Grilled Quail with

roasted potatoes and

Greek salad.

If the only thing that the CSO did well was toast and roasted potatoes I would have bought it just for those two reasons.

• User
    6 years ago

I didn't take pictures of dinner tonight, but I did take a picture of dessert.

Pecan Tart baked this morning.

Tonight's dessert.

6 years ago

Gorgeous meal Ann. Perfect salad with a grill and potatoes. I can only name 5 desserts we like and that is on top of the list, (with dark chocolate chunks tucked in just around the crust)

Potato crusted Frittata

Cleaning out the crisper drawer...made a big pot of leek top veg stock.

I used the 10" cast iron instead of the usual 8. With the burner heat on layer of potato, sweet potato, collards, onion, leek, diced ham, ...steam 10 min...6 eggs, into oven 15min to firm a bit, added three cheese and garden cherry toms from the freezer. Nice bubbly brown, (not charred). : )

Cooked faster and more even than my usual 'mile high' frittata. Pat of butter and a bit of avocado oil....crisp potato crust and slid out of the pan easily.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

sleevendog… “no mustard seed” – LMAO! I wanted to add crème fraiche to my pizza but thought better of it ; ) Your pizza looks awesome! Bet it tasted even better than awesome. You somehow knew I was going to ask about your frittata, right? Thank you for including the cooking times, methods, and ingredients. I wanted to make a frittata the other night but was low on veg’s. I’d never have thought of potatoes on the bottom like a potato anna… You’ve inspired me… Now, are you positive that's not burned/charred, rather than browned? Ha, ha!

neely, I’ve never tried that, but will have to as it looks good! I’ve made fruit and coffee ices in the freezer - not the same.

ann_t, there was a huge Fed Ex truck outside late last night and I told DH “That’s Ann’s quail – she shipped some to us!” He looked at me like I had lost it. Wishful thinking… ; ) Your quail, salad, and potatoes would have made my year! Yum! ann_t, the website with pizza pan required an order of $100 minimum, so I had to purchase a cheapo version elsewhere. That pan was 20 gauge and would have been lovely... sigh.

Cooking is hit and miss just now. Last night was leftovers, tonight I'm not sure. Promised DH fish tacos this week (maybe), and if I can find some good boneless chicken thighs I've got one more decadent meal for him before I begin packing the kitchen in earnest... oh, and I still have to make a 'ton' of ann_t's artisan bread to freeze for pizzas.

• mercurygirl
    6 years ago

OMG, I love this thread so much. We're avoiding grains, but the pizza and bread photos make me weak...will be trying some of your ideas. Thanks to all, and good luck, 2Many!

• User
    6 years ago

2Many, pretty sure Ann wouldn't be using FedX.

• neely
    6 years ago

The Greek quail meal looks absolutely delicious AnnT and the next nights pecan pie has me drooling as well. Thanks for writing about the way you cooked the frittata sleevendog, the photo of the serving looks delicious.

Steak and potato salad last night.

6 years ago

That is beauty...and just the right portions for our mid-week meals.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

neely, your steak is cooked to perfection : )

CindyMac, I was just kidding around! Though there was a Fed Ex truck outside and I did say that to DH! LOL!

• User
    6 years ago

Sleevendog, that is some frittata. Something Moe would really love.

Neely, great photo. Moe and I often share a steak.

Made a batch of TBQ sauce yesterday to serve with ribs.

Grilled baby back ribs and served with roasted potatoes and I still had everything I needed for another Greek Salad so that is what I went with.

Also baked Home-Style White bread last night.

And I learned that you shouldn't bake large loaves in the CSO oven. I should have made three smaller loaves instead of two larger.

I had to bake one at a time, where two regular size loaf pans would have baked at the same time.

And with the oven spring, the larger loaf was hitting the burners, so I had to save it by sliding a knife just under the crust so that it deflated slightly.

Other than that the bread was great. Sliced this morning.

Moe's breakfast. Cheese and Bacon Toasts.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Ann, my loaves and pies get too done on the top. Everything is a little too close to the top burner.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida