SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gil_happy

Question About Circuit Breaker Before I Call Electrician

gil_happy
6 years ago

Hello,

I need help troubleshooting, or investigating why a breaker in my home recently started tripping in my electrical panel. From the attached picture, you can see that it is an arc fault circuit interrupter. Here are the details surrounding my problem:

- my home electrical wiring was completely re-wired (new panel, etc as well) in about 2010. The work was permitted with the county by my electrical contractor.

- this particular circuit feeds my guest bedroom.

- what is odd is that if both of the overhead lights are off in the bedroom (ceiling fan / light combo and a closet light), the breaker doesn't seem to trip. However, if I turn on one of the overhead lights (mainly the ceiling fan light), the breaker will usually pop within 20 minutes.

- there is nothing new that is plugged in, or was installed in this bedroom.

Also, I am just starting to notice a couple of new, electrical problems in my home as well that may, or may not be related; there is an exact same breaker (AFCI) feeding my master bedroom and the breaker recently once tripped there as well. I don't recall this ever happening in the previous 8 years.

I also have another ceiling fan / light combo in the living room that the overhead light in it stopped working as recently as yesterday - this is on a completely separate circuit. To explain, when you flip the light switch on the wall off to on, off to on, the light will flash for a brief second and then stay off. It is strange because the fan is working as expected.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (21)