SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alpiner_gw

Curious about 20 Amp circuit breaker

alpiner
17 years ago

I have a 1976 Stab-lock electrical box in the garage. It takes Federal Pioneer circuit breakers. It was professionally installed. Never a problem.

Curious. I tried to put in a double pole 20 Amp circuit breaker on the right side (there are about 5 empty slots. I couldn't get any power out of it. It seemed to go in fine, was wired OK (at least I think) and so on. There are 2 single 15 amp breakers on the right side and they work fine.

As a last resort, I removed a 40 amp double breaker on the left side that wasn't being used (an outlet for an arc welder). I replaced it with the double pole 20 amp breaker....works like a charm.

This is a posting without a problem because I'm happy and everything is fine. I'm curious, however, why the breaker didn't work on the right side?

One issue (and I don't think it would matter?) is that I used the left side of the box to ground the 12/2 wire 20 Amp breaker when I unsuccessfully tried it on the right side. I can't see, however, how that would matter.

A side question: can more than one circuit breaker be grounded (the copper wire) in a grounding slot? (the screws on the vertical bar that hold in the ground wire in the electric box).

Thanks for any insights. If I understand the principles involved I feel more comfortable when it comes to electrical and plumbling.

Comments (4)