SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_35844888

I stood and behold. Tsuga canadensis.

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Was in Brainerd MN today so I stopped at the residence of the man on who's property stands the Minnesota state champion Eastern Hemlock. Not a huge tree by the standards of many states where they flourish but the T. Canadensis is considered a rare and endangered species here and what's left of a meager population is located for the most part in the far eastern part of this state. We don't have HWA to bother them but evidently the Climate that once caused their existence here has changed because there is no evidence of any regeneration even within the last few stands of wild mature Hemlocks that exist here.

This tree was hardly 300 ft. from the Mississippi river (east side) and only 20ft. from the street. I talked with Dr. Kehr and he said that the DNR guys told him that it was not just unusual for this tree to be in this general part of the state but to be in the yard of a residence in town made it particularly unique. There's still a question whether the house that was built in 1908 was there before the tree was planted or if it was a wild tree when the house was built.

There were cones sprinkled at the ends of most of the branches but they are so tiny, the don't show up good on the pictures. Dr. Kehr apologized for the wood pile in the driveway near the base of the tree that was just delivered. He was moving the wood into the garage and said he still enjoys burning wood even though he doesn't cut and split it himself like he did for many years in the past. You could tell he was very proud of his tree.

The tree has a very open, wide canopy and is 87" circumference @ 4-1/2', (27.75" dia.) the old state champ by Isle MN was 54" circ. by comparison 17.2" dia. but 7 ft. taller and much smaller crown.

Here's the news article with more info when the story broke.
http://www.dl-online.com/news/4129672-brainerd-hemlock-evergreen-goes-record-books

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor