New Natives 2019
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (401)
Related Discussions
What natives are you growing in 2019?
Comments (596)I'm not judging them all. Just the morons who brought over the invasives lol. :) But I still think that they should be more concerned for their natives, but same can be said for the people here too. I am of European decent. We have only been out of the last dark age for like 50 years. About the time we realized we were killing ourselves with all the pollution and eviromental repercussions. Their are native plant lovers in all those countries who are fighting their own battles. So it's pretty much the same everywhere. We have a member who lives in Sumatra and grows plants. It upsets her to see all the jungles plowed and drained for oil palms, but what can 1 person do by themselves. It comes down to teaching the children for the next generation!...See MoreMarch 2019, Week 2 Let the New Rain and Mud Games Begin....
Comments (59)Jennifer, It is crazy what the wind can do! I hate our windy March weather and always look forward to the calmer weather of April. Let's hope that we get calmer weather in April this year. Jen, There's a dog like that in every crowd, isn't there! I am laughing so hard, and I bet the doggy parents were too. We have had an occasional mud-loving dog too. Larry, I've lost my light shelf in the garage before, so it can be done. Luckily it was just behind and underneath a lot of junk and I dug it out. I hope you can find yours and don't have to build a new one. Nancy, I find zone 7 a bit harder than zone 8 even though we only moved 80 miles north....it is the way the cold nights just keep coming back after a relatively long period of warmer nights. I can look at our temperatures for this week and feel like I could put tomato plants in the ground by the end of the week, and it might work, but then April could arrive and bring back cold nights like it did last year. That's the hardest part for me....the huge inconsistencies in the weather. Then, there's those years we warm up really early and I love, love, love that because I can plant earlier with relative peace of mind, but.....a warm February and warm March usually mean a hot summer, so are they really a good sign after all? Oh, and microclimate is everything. They said we'd be 37 last night, then dropped it to 36....and, because our microclimate doesn't take orders from the NWS, our overnight low was 31 here at the house and 29 at our Mesonet station. So, I've learned I cannot trust the forecast either. It is maddening. I cannot even imagine the adjustments you'd had to make going from zone 3 to zone 7! My tomato plants had 4 hours of sunlight and very light wind yesterday and looked pretty darn happy by the time I brought them inside. So, today we're going to put them out for 5 hours after the chilly air warms up a bit. I keep putting off potting them up again even though I have all the supplies on hand and can do it. I really must do it tomorrow. I must. I'd start potting up today but Tim and I have a day of outdoor chores planned. On the other hand, this week is Spring Break and I'll have both the girls here with me, so I might be too busy playing with baby dolls with the little one and doing crafts and baking with the older one. I am trying to make the most of the time we have together here while they are staying with us because their new house is almost finished and they won't be here much longer. Unless, that is, my son has another day like yesterday.....you can skip the rest if you aren't interested in house mysteries because it isn't gardening-related. Their house is almost done, but you know, once you start poking around in an old house, there is no telling what you'll discover. Their house was redone in the 2005-06 time frame, and I'm not sure what all that involved but suspect it did involved total modernization that include putting up new drywall everywhere, which wouldn't have been easy in a house with 11' ceilings. I know it included a kitchen remodel with a sincere attempt to keep the old charm (successfully too) and new double-paned custom windows in the old Victorian style (very tall windows---about 7'-8' tall and thinner than modern day windows), and this probably also is when the central HVAC system was installed. However, there remains a huge attic fan that I cannot even describe (I'll try to on some boring rainy day) that likely dates back to the early days. While most of the house somewhat makes sense, the closet in the master bedroom has been a odd looking thing all along that I had believed was not always a closet. It does have drywall but had carpet whereas the rest of the house had hardwood except for tile in the kitchen and bathrooms. It also has an oddly-placed strip of border type wallpaper at about chair-rail height but nothing but painted drywall above and below, and the stupid border was a MLB one. In a closet. A closet with a mini-closet built in at the north end. So, with questions about the weird closet (honestly, big enough to have been nursery or a toddler's bedroom) in his mind, Chris went exploring. He pulled up the carpet intending to buy and lay hardwood if he could find a close match to the color of their existing flooring. Instead, he found the home's original hardwood from 1932, albeit covered in what looks like a gray paint. It sands off easily though, so he's going to restore the closet floors. I'm guessing that closet is maybe 5' wide and 12 to 14' long. Intrigued by the hardwood, he began peeling off the wallpaper border, but only drywall was beneath it. So, he then tore out the wall that separated the mini closet at the end of the big closet (after calling Tim and I to consult on whether it was load-bearing----which it was not). Anyhow, eventually he was sending us photos of shiplap walls, with tons of nails---some of which look handmade and likely date back to 1932. He found a beadboard ceiling--you know, the old original beadboard that was put up one skinny board at a time. After he kept sending us photos, we dropped the projects we were working on outdoors, carried in the tomato plants, and drove up there to see the stuff he was uncovering because by then we were just too curious about how it all looked in person. So, once we got there, it got really interesting. To get to the shiplap he had to remove very thick drywall that looks like it is 5/8" thick, and beneath that he found three separate layers of wallpaper---one obviously from the 1960s, one from around the late 1940s or early 1950s and one from the 1930s. There were layers of cheesecloth between each wallpaper layer, and the bottom wallpaper layer wasn't glued down...it was nailed down! My word! I never heard of that before. Would they have wallpapered a closet back then and didn't they have wallpaper paste? The other bedrooms have tiny closets more typical of that time frame, so we think that my original belief from the very first time we saw the house that the closet originally was a dressing room or a nursery probably is accurate, and the tiny closet within the closet was the original closet. In the north wall of that tiny closet, a large section of shiplap didn't match the other shiplap exactly and had been pieced in to fill what probably was an exterior window back in the day. So.....now that they have found the hidden history of that room buried there in the closet, they want to take down the rest of the drywall in the closet, stain it a walnut color, refinish the floors, turn 1/3 of it into a nice, neat closet for them with built-in shelving and clothing racks (they are minimalists and don't hang on to huge amounts of clothing that they don't wear....) and then turn the other half of the closet into a nice little office type nook with a desk and space for a computer and all that. I think this project will only take a week or so extra, but you know I'm laughing....because now they're already talking about 'someday' doing something in the other rooms, maybe exposing the beadboard ceilings or something. Oh, and the closet always had very old, very nice trim around the interior of the closet door, but it was flush with the drywall....so now we know why....they added the drywall and cut it to fit around the old, existing trim around the door. We had puzzled over why there was trim around the door on the interior of the closet. This is like being a house detective--figuring out what was done and when and how and why. That sort of project to uncover more of their home's hidden history will have to wait though because they don't intend to do it before they move in. The longer they work on the house, the more they fall in love with with its history. They had intended to remove and replace an old side door that leads out to the driveway at the back of the house, but when they discovered it was the original front door with the original hardware and huge, thick locks, they decided to keep it. It also has one of those old crystal doorknobs. (A neighboring home still has this exact same door as the front door, so they're guessing it was moved from the front to the side during an earlier remodeling.) Anyhow, another big project like this closet, squeezed in between their work days, gives us at least another week with them here in our house with us so we aren't complaining. I suspect that our house will be much too quiet once they move into theirs, and I think they'll love the little bit of history they've exposed in their oversized closet. See, this is why we are so far behind on everything at our house right now....because we drop our projects to go help with theirs, or just to go see what they're doing. I do know that the employee in the paint department at Lowe's knows Jana by sight now, knows just what colors of paint she keeps buying more of, and was totally thrown for a loop when Jana bought a new color yesterday....lol. While we were there, I did study the yard, which seems mostly dirt and weeds at this point. They wanted to know if they have enough sunshine to grow bermuda grass there, and I think they do, so we discussed the timing of planting it, seed vs. sod, etc. They have liriope on either side of their front walkway, a couple of sweetgum trees in the front yard, and maybe one in the back (but lots of shade from trees on adjacent properties), and one rose bush, so the yard does need some work and some shrubs planted and such. The ten year old spent much of her day raking up tons of autumn leaves, and I intend to go up there today and bring home those leaves for my compost pile if Tim and I finish up all our outdoor projects on time to do so today. Now, I need to go start the new week's garden talk..... Dawn...See MoreApril 2019 Building A New Home
Comments (444)Ondrea - I’ll definitely give a full review on Nectar once my son sleeps on it a few nights! So far we’re happy - we set it up on Monday night to start to expand, we also heard some beds can have an odor that just needs a few days to dissipate. We honestly haven’t experienced much of an odor- if you stick your nose right to it (we did) it does smell a bit plasticky - but nothing significant. The mattress and the 2 free pillows have expanded/filled out pretty well in just 24 hours. We got the foundation too- very easy to assemble. Ninday- Oh my goodness, so sorry that your inspector got shocked but glad it was discovered!! We hired an inspector after our last home - it was a spec home by a production builder, and after a few minor mishaps... we hired one knowing full well the builder wouldn’t do anything, but we wanted to know if there was anything major. (There wasn’t.) this time around we built semi-custom with a much more reputable builder and figured we’d be okay without one... but over the summer we probably should anyway to be certain- because everyone makes mistakes!! Thanks for the reminder ;) Good news- the cleaners got in today - so we will start moving some stuff over tomorrow! Living with the in laws, so as I’ve bought stuff for the house it’s been taking up an extra office at my husbands office space. He’ll be happy to get it cleared out!! We’ll probably go over tomorrow and do some spot cleaning ourselves. Cleaners made 3-4 visits... but we are pretty picky and will still find things to clean! (We own a cleaning company, lol.)...See MoreNepeta (prob. Walker’s Low) killing lawn...? Plus new project for 2019
Comments (23)OK - i got some pictures of it this morning..... I'm totally baffled by this! The area is bigger than I thought and seems to have enlarged over the winter. The problem became noticeable the summer before last (i.e. summer 2017). From the pictures below you can see that it seems to be spreading outward from the bed, starting near the magnolia, but it it also spreading along the bed edging. It almost looks like damage from a spill of something except we don't use any chemicals. There doesn't seem to be any similar damage near the other magnolia. I've also looked at pictures I've taken of other magnolias in the neighborhood that are planted in lawns and don't see any grass damage with those, so I'm doubtful that the problem is magnolia roots. Any other ideas...? This picture clearly shows the extent and pattern of the problem: This picture shows a closer view of the base of the 'Randy' magnolia with the mess of dead foliage that is the nepeta at this point: In this picture I was trying to show the extent of the magnolia canopy: I have no idea what is going on! We will dig around a bit when it gets warmer and drier to see if we can find anything obvious in the soil.... Any other suggestions....?...See More- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

EVENTSTop Garden Trends From the RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2019
Find inspiration in landscape designs and ideas from this year’s show in London
Full Story
TRENDING NOWSplash Into Spring With the Top 10 Pool Photos of 2019 So Far
A low-maintenance landscape and a custom waterfall are among the standout features in these popular pool areas
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES10 Essential Native Trees for Southwestern Gardens
Add beauty and welcome shade to arid gardens with one or more of these trees from the region
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGreat Design Plant: Little Bluestem Goes Above and Beyond
It thrives in poor soil and provides food and shelter for wildlife. Plus, Schizachyrium scoparium is just a darn pretty native grass
Full Story
EVENTSLighting Trends: Organic Beauty and Surprising Shapes at ICFF
Natural forms, handblown glass and customizable looks were seen at the 2019 International Contemporary Furniture Fair
Full Story
DISASTER PREP & RECOVERYHow to Help Victims of Australia’s Fires
Want to donate to aid wildfire victims in Australia? Here are groups assisting people affected by the recent bushfires
Full Story
MOST POPULARExclusive Video of Wright’s Jaw-Dropping Hollyhock House
Immerse yourself in the stunningly restored Frank Lloyd Wright masterpiece
Full Story
HOUZZ CALLTell Us Your New Year’s Resolutions for Your Home
Share your plans and dreams for your house this year — whether they involve organizing, remodeling or redecorating
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALSHow Pros Are Working to Support Women in Architecture
Industry groups and leaders are creating guides, talks and other initiatives aimed at making their world more inclusive
Full Story
MODERN ARCHITECTURESoaring Above the Desert: Albert Frey’s Cree House Reborn
Tours of the renovated architect-designed home are being offered at Palm Springs Modernism Week, which opens Feb. 13
Full StoryMore Discussions























































Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)