SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
conifers_gw

Conifer Seedlings Prairie Restoration

conifers
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

Kind of a strange title coming from me but I've pretty well decided upon using the diversity of seedlings to create a scene of this type of magnitude. This photo shows a Red Pine forest setting mainly, I think I see a fir in there but here's what I want to do:

Digital Natural History .com...

(I see this link doesn't go to the photo - please scroll to the very first link under Pinus resinosa called "Pure Stand.")

I really like the clay I have when it isn't bone dry. It's like walking on in a very descriptive view, an uprising of the depressions of ant hills, hence "fluffish" if such a word ever existed. A shovel can go in easily...

The photo depicted above is in pure sand, here's the information:

Sandy Lake, Newfoundland. South shore. June 21, 1971. [Transparency - John Maunder]

My question: I'll be likely allowing my prairie grasses to absorb every last bit of water and here's a list I previously correlated with some of you guys as well as a second list I've kept that Resin helped me with, long ago only with pines which I'd like to expand to firs & spruces & the rest of them (all "large trees") Larix (I have mastersiana & decidua & kaempferi as being my best choices) for firs: borisii-regis, homolepsis, nordmanniana, but I can't recall off hand what else. Just anything you can help me with.

Yes or No to my lists or copy/paste would be better yet and would be immensely appreciated, plus additions. I'll until the trees are taller than the grasses, mow or mash down trails and use round-up or something so I may water them, maybe mulch them with organic material (I can't afford buying mulch) and water as necessary (I have a little cart pulled by my medium-sized riding mower with a water tank that holds 25 gallons and is ran off a car battery (a sprayer tank with some power; I can use like 25 feet worth of hose if I want to)... anyway, that's the situation.

I was also thinking of using orange fencing to protect the seedlings and to keep them visible. I have a long ways to go as I need to install a shelterbelt screen first which I've tilled for and will keep managed by seeding it for temporary with turf seed...

Here are the lists:

Thanks!

Dax

Resin Recommended for where I am in Illinois:

Pinus armandii make sure you get seed from the northernmost origins (Gansu, Shaanxi); the most widespread origins in cultivation are from the south end of the range in Yunnan and only zone 8 hardy

Pinus banksiana  some susceptibility to pine wilt nematode (PWN)

Pinus bungeana  well worth a try, give it a well-drained site

Pinus cembra  worth a try, but might suffer from summer heat/humidity

Pinus contorta latifolia  likely to suffer from summer heat/humidity

Pinus densiflora - susceptible to PWN

Pinus echinata  should do very well

Pinus flexilis  may have problems with summer heat/humidity, also susceptible to white pine blister rust (WPBR)

Pinus koraiensis  should do well

pinus leucodermis  should do well. Name correction: Pinus heldreichii

Pinus monticola  likely to have problems with summer heat/humidity, also WPBR

Pinus mugo  should do well

Pinus parvifolia - should do well

Pinus peuce  (Macedonian pine) should do well

Pinus palustris - not hardy in z5

Pinus ponderosa - some probelms with summer heat/humidity, tends to vary unpredictably from individual to individual (so plant dense, and cull out the ones that get needlecast badly)

Pinus pumila - summers much too hot for this

Pinus pungens  should do well

Pinus resinosa - should do well

Pinus rigida  should do well

Pinus strobus  should do well

Pinus strobiformis  should do well, but susceptible to WPBR

Pinus tabuliformis - (note spelling) likely to have PWN problems

Pinus taeda  marginally hardy; northern origins should do well, southern origins (widely sold for forestry) won't be hardy

Pinus mugo subsp. uncinata - should do well, but PWN may be a problem later

Pinus virginiana  should do well

Pinus wallichiana - not hardy in z5

Pinus x schwerinii - should do well

Pitch x loblolly pine - should do well

Pinus ayacahuite x strobus - should do well; may be susceptible to WPBR

Recommended on the forum for clay-tolerance:

(I just wanna go over this once again)

Hardy Plants to consider for Clay Tolerant:

hibiscusfreak

Douglas Fir

-Concolor Fir

-Norway Spruce

-Colorado Blue Spruce (various)

-Pinus Strobus

-Hicksii Yews

-Hinoki Cypress

-Blue Atlas Cedar

-Weeping Alaskan Cedar

-Dawn Redwood

-Hemlock

-Thujas (various)

justintx

Cedrus deodara

Pinus thunbergii

Taxodium mucronatum

Resin:

Abies nordmanniana and A. borisii-regis would probably be the most reliable, I'd go for them. Also give A. holophylla a go.

Tsuga are also worth a try if you have humus-rich clay and some shade and shelter; zone 5 is I think too cold for hemlock woolly adelgid so T. canadensis should be OK; also try T. diversifolia and T. chinensis. They won't like it dry though, put them close to any streams or permanent soil moisture.

----------------------

Thank you! Dax

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting