SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klunker

Prairie start-up

klunker
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have about a 3 acre field that we are building a house in. The field was an overgrown old crop field. Last farmed approx 15-20 years ago. It was being encroached upon by small box elders, white ash, shagbark hickory and elm. The biggest tree was no more than 4-6 inches in dia. with the vast majority of them approx. 1" in dia. I got rid of them last summer leaving just stumps. The field otherwise was dominated by canada goldenrod. Anyways we started the house recently and there is a large area around the house site that was stripped of top soil. We now have 4 giant piles of top soil to be put back down when the house is completed late this fall.

There is a large chunk of the field that I have mowed twice this year and just sprayed with round-up Wed. morning. My plan was to spray it again later in the summer and if I had to once again in the fall. Then burn it to remove the thatch and plant it with seed in late fall/early winter. I feel good about this section of the field.

The rest, the disturbed area, once the top soil is spread back around has got me puzzled. I'm wondering if I can plant it after its been reworked. There should be no growing weeds at that point. I would think that being piled up anything in there would of been smothered. But I know there has to be lots of weed seeds in there too. So maybe I should wait a year after spreading. I'd be trying to keep anything from growing on the bare soil for a year. I'm concerned about erosion. So any thoughts? Wait a year and fight weeds and erosion for a year or plant right away and maybe pull weeds as they show up among newly planted prairie.

Oh, this is in SE Wis. Not a very hilly spot but its easiest to describe the contour as flat, gentle slope down, flat area with house, gentle slope down. Soil is good, somewhat clay-lots of fine silt.

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Comments (26)

Sponsored