SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

Bijou des Prairies/Gem of the Prairies

User
5 years ago

Anybody out there know or grow this one? I got it back in 2013,and though it's grown quite vigorously ,it's never put out more than a very few flowers. It also suckers a lot. I dug it up-it's very big-and am now wondering what to do with it . Actually I have 2 other plants of it as well; suckers I dug out before-and they, too, are quite large. So now I'm wondering if this rose is worth going to all the trouble of digging big holes, etc (I have a very, very bad hip and am waiting to get it replaced). From the picture on HMF, it does look quite beautiful,but as I said, my own plant never really flowered properly. Now, let us keep in mind, my soil is very bad, and it is quite possible that I just didn't prepare it well enough when I planted this rose out ,nor have I really worked on improving it,so for this reason perhaps it desrves a second chance. But on the other side, it IS a once-bloomer,supposedly subject to BS (not a huge problem in my garden),and suckers. I guess I don't want to go to a lot of trouble and work re-planting it, only to find that it still won't really bloom, or turns out to be one of those once-bloomers which are only in flower for a week or two. So I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has experience with it or can tell me about it. Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)