SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mevans426

Shell in place of a lawn on a slope?

Matt
6 years ago

Hi, we purchased a house in Florida last year that is on a slight rise compared to our neighbors, which is great in case of a flood but creates a slope on our front "lawn". I put lawn in quotes because it's more in the prairie state right now, and we need to get it looking OK by May when the house will become a vacation rental until fall again. My first inclination was just to lay down sod, but it turns out there's a substantial leak in the irrigation system and even if we got that fixed, for whatever reason they didn't put enough sprinkler heads to cover the lawn area anyway.

So instead we're considering killing the grass and weeds and just putting down shell. We see that around in Florida quite a bit but I don't know anybody personally who can tell me what challenges or issues shell presents. I also don't know if the area being sloped would be a problem. Shells aren't round so I guess they wouldn't roll away, but I don't want to come back in October and find they've all slid down to the street!

The only other thing I can think of is to go ahead and do grass and use a hose sprinkler, but I don't know if it would be established enough to get by just on rain water by May. The photo shows the front yard, and I sure appreciate any suggestions!

Matt

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider