Cannot procrastinate any longer with hardware choice

nidnay
Ok, so I can’t put this off any longer. I’ve been waiting to decide on my kitchen cabinet hardware (finish), and I really have to make my decision now (need to install appliance pulls). It’s either black/ORB, or polished nickel.

My perimeter plumbing fixtures are polished nickel (with marble counter). My island is an oiled walnut top with copper sink and brass/copper faucet (two designers said this mix of copper was OK with the rest of the kitchen...am a bit nervous about it). Floors will be a medium stain. Will wait to do the backsplash and island fixture. I also haven’t figured out how I will finish the range-hood. Again, that will be decided as the pieces of the puzzle start getting put in place. I’m the type that has to see things develop....cannot make all these decisions at one time without seeing how they actually look together.

The adjoining breakfast room has Black/ORB lighting fixtures and all my door hardware is black. The kitchen is also open to the great room, and there are built-ins there that will have Black/ORB hardware.

I keep going back and forth between polished nickel and black/ORB. I am leaning towards polished, but that’s a lot of shiny for me.

I am also leaning towards this Currey fixture for the island but I’m open to anything.
SaveComment7.8KLike66
Comments (7.8K)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nidnay

WHAT????!!! Not the one in your master???

1 Like Save    
PRO
Design Interior South

YES!!! Two rows of the capiz shells are all gone!!! My kids have had "company" in the forms of boy friends and girl friends and friends since we've been home so we have had no alone time to drop the hammer. My son was here the entire time taking care of the dog etc. I was told by my neighbor that his girlfriends car was here the entire time!!! Spoke to daughter who came home on the weekends from college to help take care of the dog and she said she didn't know anything about the broken bathroom light. I told DH well the way I see it is the one I wanted originally but couldn't afford (Currey and Company ) can be given to me for Christmas !!!

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

THERE’S the silver lining :)

Hmmm.....girlfriends car there the entire time....

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

I don’t even want to venture a guess as to how it got broken.

2 Likes Save    
suzyq53

Oh pink no! Did anyone have permission to be in your room? Better get a dead bolt. That's not okay. But hopefully you get the good light at least. Eww!

1 Like Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

WTH? two rows are gone? (did you check the trash, maybe?) is it possible a few were broken somehow so 'someone' took off 2 rows hoping you wouldn't notice?

can't imagine what else they could do w/them.

girlfriend needs to be spoken to! lol

1 Like Save    
PRO
Design Interior South

I don't want to guess either.

1 Like Save    
Molly

The story should be interesting, lol.

3 Likes Save    
ohsoslow

Hi Nidnay - second your opinion on Kathy Kuo Home. Not a good experience for me either.

Have you ever looked at Horchow/Nieman Marcus or Perigold? I’ve had very good luck with both. Don’t know if what they carry is to your taste, but they have many styles. Both a little pricey, but watch for the sales! I’ve enjoyed excellent customer service with both.

Also used to love Gumps, but they closed (temporarily) and are just now back with a much reduced line of goods. They used to carry the most beautiful furniture with an Asian flair (I know, not everyone’s cup of tea!)

Bummer on your gorgeous chandelier.

Happy hunting!

1 Like Save    
nidnay

@ohsoslow....interesting about Kathy Kuo. I’ve been shopping the others you mentioned as well as a bunch of others.

The thing that REALLY gets me with many of these sites is that they’ll advertise 20% off (or whatever), and then give you a coupon code for an additional 10% (with small print stating *exclusions apply*) and then when you search the list of items/manufacturers that are excluded, it’s virtually EVERY SINGLE ITEM thats available on the site is excluded from ANY kind of discount. I find this kind of deception pretty infuriating and the entire experience becomes a complete waste of ones time.

Never heard of Gumps.

1 Like Save    
pink_peony

I so agree about the coupon stuff Nidnay.

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

pink....it drives me crazy. I hate deception.

1 Like Save    
Molly

The same thing happens with store coupons like Macy’s. The list of excluded products is very long and usually the ones you hope to get on sale. :/

1 Like Save    
ohsoslow

Nidnay - you are spot on about the exclusions and deceptions, and waste of our time. I’ve stopped buying from several of these sites for that reason.

Gumps was a very high end department store in San Francisco. Fabulous brick and motor store, the most beautiful display windows, and a very nice catalog version for many years. They also had wonderful after Christmas sales at great prices! Apparently they have regrouped somewhat, and are back in business, not quite sure at what level.

it is so difficult to shop online when you don’t know the quality or “character” of the Company.

Please keep us enthralled with your lovely photos and updates!

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

What do you all think of this piece....too bedroom-ish?

1 Like Save    
niccidhg

Personally, I like the warmer, more rustic wood tone and style of this cabinet much better.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by nidnay
lshack17

nidnay, I don't think that piece is too bedroomish. Very light and bright, and I like how it flows with the art.

Save     Thanked by nidnay
Molly

I like the new one. The design is interesting without being too busy.

pink_peony

I love the color with your art work. The nice thing about going with a different color finish there is that it won’t compete with amy other wood tones you bring into the space.

1 Like Save     Thanked by nidnay
suzyq53

It is a pretty little chest but maybe too prissy with the rustic sconces and lantern? So yes to me it looks like it should be a chic bedside table. Seems like overall your style is "soft" rustic with french country. So I'm thinking lived in look with character and a twist and a whole lot of money.

Did you hate the sofa console I posted?

nidnay

Sq.....did not hate it at all. In fact, it’s was already in my folder of potentials.

Save    
nidnay

.....and you are correct....a whole lotta money!

Save    
PRO
Design Interior South

adding darker hardware to it can make it look more in line with your sconces

suzyq53

That console is on sale. Only 4 left. The description includes "perfect for your countryside manor".

Save    
nidnay

Yes....and did you see the price?? Not exactly a simple country price even with the “sale” :)

Save    
suzyq53

Well you know everything is gonna be spendy. There is no way to avoid that especially in the public areas. After the fire, with the help of another designer, I furnished the main areas for $150k. Nothing was custom, no area rugs, no deluxe pieces, no art, no doodads, just furniture. So noblesse oblige dictates you will spend much more than that for your grand manor.

English Country Estate · More Info

The Surrounding Groundscaping. · More Info

1 Like Save    
Molly

Sq is that your house? It’s gorgeous!

1 Like Save    
nidnay

Molly....we know it’s not sq’s house because there are wild animals on the grounds....

1 Like Save    
niccidhg

Hahaha. Plus that estate is in Greenville, SC .

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

OMG - y'all are too funny!

Save    
suzyq53

lol! Swans are really mean, but I love horses!

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

I agree on Swans being mean! We had flocks of them that migrated through the seasons near our home in Michigan. There was a lake behind us and that attracted them. At daybreak, it sounded like a million babies crying! I couldn't figure out what the noise was. Went out and there they were. They had apparently flew in after dusk. My son went out to "feed" them and they chased him, nipping at his heels and he was only about 2. Gotta watch some of these birds!

Save    
nidnay

That’s what I said....wild animals :)

1 Like Save    
suzyq53

1 Like Save    
Molly

Lol Nidnay! Are your critters gone? Have you tried your binoculars?

1 Like Save    
nidnay

Molly.....no more critters....so far. It was two and that was it. Hoping!

The binoculars are being returned. They don’t really work well when looking through windows which is kind of a waste. Don’t plan on sitting outside in the freezing cold at nighttime.

I tried the facial thingy. Didn’t like it initially because I can definitely feel little electrical zings, but I’ll stick with it and see what happens. But honestly, I DON’T like that feeling.....like at any moment I’m going to be electrocuted. It’s battery operated BTW.

1 Like Save    
suzyq53

I'm still haven't caught any mice. I have 6 traps and nothing so far. I'm going to buy mouse attractor tomorrow.

Save    
nidnay

What is used to attract mice?

Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

stick some peanut butter on the trap

Save    
nidnay

Beth....yes, that’s what I do, but sq is going to purchase something (mouse attractor) and I was curious what she was getting.

Save    
suzyq53

Just some liquid drops they sell at the hardware store to put on the traps. Maybe pheromones or something? They aren't hitting on my peanut butter baited traps. They might be taking random pieces of dog food Snowee leaves on the floor? I did hear something when I fell asleep on the couch at around 3 in the morning and the tiny poop. So they're still here. My neighbor said they love macadamia nuts. idk

PRO
Beth H. :

hmm,, they aren't stupid, so maybe they know the traps?? perhaps try disguising them w/hay or straw so all that's showing is the peanut butter,,,or whatever? macadamia nuts?! lol. expensive bait! by the Pepperidge farm cookies w/those and take one out of the cookie. or try leaving a piece of cookie too!

Save    
nidnay

Ugh. Frustrating.

I haven’t caught anything with my new app based trap. I was really looking forward to getting a notification on my phone. I guess I should be happy I haven’t. I haven’t heard anything or seen any droppings. I actually found a perfect place for them to make entrance while I was looking around in the crawl space. Of course they have to get into the crawl space first, but once there, they could have made entrance through a small empty conduit I found. My AV guy installed it but there were no wires passing through it, so it was the perfect highway for them. It was basically dangling there in the crawl, and goes onto a closet on the first floor where all our wiring is. I filled it up with the fiber/steel wool product.

1 Like Save    
suzyq53

I have steel wool and some foam in a spray can to plug things up but I don't want to do it until I catch them. And I still haven't taken off the air register cause I'm afraid to. But they took the toilet paper so I think they're nesting in the wall about to have (or already had) a gazillion babies. F****k me and them! I feel so violated.

2 Likes Save    
suzyq53

Forgot to mention there are a lot of macadamia trees around here so maybe the local mice are too persnickety for plebeian peanut butter. Figures I'd get the snooty rodents. Yikes.

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

lmao..snooty OC mice! get a cat that's been raised outside! or, stick a snake in there. JK.

isn't there some ultra sonic sound wave thing that's supposed to work?

do they look like this? my cat torments them in the yard.

i had to save this one. turned him loose down the hill. isn't he cute? lol

SQ-get one of these. gopher snake. (same part of the yard. it's a busy corner spot!)

2 Likes Save     Thanked by nidnay
suzyq53

I've never seen whatever it is, but the poop size seems consistent with a mouse that size. It is kind of cute. But it can't share my interior habitat. No way! Nature should be outdoors for sure. Here is the directions for the Tom Cat attractant gel. If you asked my younger self why I'd have a need to attract mice?????

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

OMG!!!

That little one is so cute!

Save    
PRO
Design Interior South

Ugh when we were first married we moved from the SF Bay Area to Orange County for a Job DH had taken in Irvine. We rented an apartment one block up from the beach in Dana Point. Shortly after moving in we were woken one night by scurrying noises in the wall behind our bed. The wall was shared with the apt next to us so dumb us thought it was maybe the people next door doing who knows what! We went home to visit my mom that weekend. Upon our return Sunday night we found two rolls of chewed up toilet paper inside our bathroom cabinet, a chewed up tube of toothpaste inside our bathroom drawer and overall a big mess within that cabinet........which was on the same wall as our bed. I was FREAKED OUT! We went to bed that night and again we were woken by noises in the wall. I called the office next morning and they sent out an exterminator. He baited and laid traps in the bathroom cabinet. That night the noise was worse and we could hear the thing in the ceiling above our bed. I was frantic. Called again. Was told to give it a week. We worked during the day so who knows what kind of partying was going on in our place during the day. We had to empty the bathroom cabinet because anything in there was destroyed. They chewed through the electric razor my DH had in his drawer and the exterminator came back out and determined it was RATS not mice. I was beside myself. We had purchased our first home which we were waiting construction to be finished on so we couldn't move.. One night. We heard from the wall horrible screeching like noises. I moved that night onto our sofa sleeper in the living room and never again slept in the bedroom. The noise got worse and the screeching noise was what the exterminator said was it having babies. Because he found a baby rat. We asked to be moved to another apt within the complex and they refused! Luckily enough we closed a month or two early on our home and we moved. But it was about 4 months of total h311!!!

3 Likes Save    
ljptwt7

Leaving mice for now....I like the blue console sq posted. I think it would look better with the sconces than the blue one you asked about since it looks more rustic.

Save    
jani

These stories are why I cant fathom having any evidence of mice/rats. ewww.

Question..what brand of SW paint have anybody used. I had paid someone to do our hallway and stairway and I'm constantly getting scuff marks that wont clean up. never had that problem with Behr or BM.

Save    
nidnay

Jani.....what sheen is your paint? I purposely chose flat paint because that’s what I prefer. Any scuffs can be wiped up once or twice and after that the paint starts coming off the wall. But as I said, that was my choice because I don’t like ANY sheen whatsoever.

3 Likes Save    
nidnay

Pink.....that is absolutely horrible. I think I would have had to move out. I’d be afraid they would sneak into my moving boxes and hitch a ride to the new house!

2 Likes Save    
Molly

Pink I would have been grossed out, blech!!

Save    
pink_peony

It was awful. Luckily we were young and owned very little . We weren’t moving far and I don’t even recall if we used moving boxes? But I know for certain we didn’t Bring anything with us LOL! At least not critter wise. Here in the south my paranoia is roaches. When we moved out of the town house into this house we found dead roaches in the garage of the town house and I was beside myself!!! I literally unpacked everything at the end of my driveway here and wouldn’t bring a box inside the house .

Save    
nidnay

Have any of you tried these.....I never saw these tweezers before and happened upon them at my grocery store last night....I knew I had to try them. They’re amazing. Even though I have a lighted makeup mirror, these things work in conjunction with the mirror in really lighting things up.

2 Likes Save    
ladma

I’m putting up my tree, and found this mouse in with the ornaments!

2 Likes Save    
lizziesma

Sorry, back to mouse bait. While in Maui last winter something kept chewing our screen door. Manager set up bait and traps...nothing. Finally exterminator suggested baiting with Snickers. Sure enough, caught that sucker first try. I also wondered about those tweezers since I’m of “needing more light” age.

3 Likes Save    
jani

Nidnay, I bought flat in the Cashmere line. In the past, I have used Matte or Flat enamel. It just stinks because my Hubby is very careless with things hitting the walls. I know he is tired of me complaining, but what is a girl going to do? I wish he traveled for his job! :)

Did you have a big family Thanksgiving? I just love looking at your house, Any decisions on fabric yet? I can't wait to see what you choose. I always have a hard time putting it all together.

Time to hire a designer as I like way too many choices.

It makes my skin crawl thinking of those Mice running around my food and plates. Years ago, somehow our peanut butter got eaten without setting the trap.

Beth, is your kitchen complete? I seem to only check every few days or weeks at times.

2 Likes Save    
pink_peony

I want those tweezers!

Save    
suzyq53

The mouse ate my stollen cake except the raisins. On top of my kitchen counter. This is disgusting! Getting serious today. Everything is going in the fridge. I'm emptying the pantry of any non can or jar stuff. Definitely getting the sticky traps even if they are mean. The lady at Ace Hardware said I might hear it screaming and squeaking when its feet are trapped. How are you supposed to kill it once its stuck? I don't think I can take it outside and smack it or put it in a bucket of water. Nightmare stuff for me.

Save    
suzyq53

And what the heck is everyone plucking with these tweezers? I just get the occasional zip wax to clean up my brows. It lasts for months. My DH uses my tweezer (not sure how he found it) to pluck his nose hair and stray eyebrow feelers over my sink. I figured this out when I spotted some random hairs near my toothbrush. He said "oh yeah, I borrowed your utensil". Okay fine, but do it over your sink. Ewww!

1 Like Save    
jani

Oh Suzy, I feel the same way. I'd put a container over it till hubby got home. or call terminex they may have a plan.

1 Like Save    
suzyq53

What do we think about this?

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

Sq.....honestly..... If something was eating whole pieces of cake off my counters I would have to go nuclear. Please don’t scold me everyone, but I would do poison. I’d have to. It’s my space. Mice and rats are filthy and leave their poo poo everywhere.

If I lived close by sq, I would come over and help you plug up every minuscule hole and stand there with a baseball bat and kill every last one of them!

Critters are very adorable..... WHEN THEY'RE OUTSIDE!

6 Likes Save    
nidnay

@jani...:we did thanksgiving last year (25). My daughter wanted to have it at her house this year, and I was more than happy to oblige! I made some dishes to bring over and it was so nice and relaxing cooking at home and not having to prepare the house for a crowd.

And for Christmas this year, our whole gang has rented a cabin in Gatlinburg....so we’ll be spending the holidays there. I just last night put up a few simple decorations for Christmas here to help get me in the mood..... @Molly made me do it :)

6 - Misc · More Info

I did finalize my chair order. I will surprise you all when they arrive!

AND.....I kept that off kilter rug for my front door foyer area.

9 Likes Save    
suzyq53

Thanks nidnay. DH is taking off the dreaded return grate today. I might put some green pellets in there where Snowee can't get to them. Desparate times call for desperate measures. If not Terminex it is. Ugh!

1 Like Save    
jani

Sq. I like that blue.

Nidnay...that sounds great! It does take alot to prepare the house and also nice to come home to a clean one. I need a personal decorator...I like way too much and am so indecisive...that it takes all the fun out of it.

At one time I wanted to spend Xmas away somewhere. ...Now the family is so divided with inlaws and stepchildren, etc..we probably couldn't do that. Sounds like a Hallmark Christmas!

Can't wait to see your chairs...are the same company doing the couch?

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

Jani....Not quit sure whose doing the sofa yet...haven’t even finalized that fabric. Recovering is a whole different ball game.

“Sounds like a Hallmark Christmas!” —- Hopefully everyone will be on their best behavior!

Decorating can be fun, but is also very brain draining. And similar to you, I like so many things it’s very difficult making a decision. I can only take so much of it and then I need a vacation.

Sq.....it’s a pretty blue, but it truly depends on where it’s going (walls, cabinets) and in whose home....wouldn’t work in my house.

2 Likes Save    
ladma

Your entry looks beautiful! I love the lit garland.

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

Thanks ladma.....opening that attic door has really had a snowball effect. I thought I was finished decorating last night, but I keep adding more and more. Ha....now I want to stay home!

3 Likes Save    
lshack17

Gorgeous, nidnay! That staircase was made for lighted garland.

4 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Christmas decorating is never done! Not for me! One thing seems to always lead to another! So fun! Sure hope all your critter problems get resolved soon.

1 Like Save    
Molly

Very pretty Nidnay! I told you not to walk in too deep. ;)

3 Likes Save    
nidnay

Hahaha

1 Like Save    
nidnay

I could’t help myself.....

NOW I’m done.

10 Likes Save    
jani

Gorgeous! magazine quality! I would stay home too with all the lovely decor! Some snow outside would be pretty!

High point has so many upholsters..being furniture capital.. I hear they get truck loads of items from afar, so they stay busy. I use to know someone who did a few pieces for me. Now I prefer to buy new.
The choices are enormous in the fabric shops here.

Best behavior....of course its CHRISTMAS time!
There is always one or two instigators..

suzyq53

nidnay - so pretty! You have so much energy. I wouldn't get on that ladder unless there was a flood.

Oh and I have rats not mice so my traps weren't working because they're too small. They're coming back Monday to seal and mesh all the roof and cleanout vents and other possible access points and set traps in the attic. I have one rat trap in my office now inside a basket so my dog won't get snapped. So grossed out right now!

nidnay

Oh sq.......devastating! And you have to wait till Monday!! Oh gosh that stinks.

So a snap trap in the basket?

Save    
suzyq53

Yes. Its the kind of basket with a hinged lid that's upside down so the rat can go in the finger holes. I don't think these rats are coming in and out from outside, so its just a question of killing whatever is already here. Fingers crossed it doesn' take long. The rat guy says it doesn't look too bad as far as number of rats, but I know there is a nest somewhere. Gag me!

4 Likes Save    
nidnay

I’m gagging with you all the way.

2 Likes Save    
NewEnglandgal

nidnay absolutely gorgeous!! I agree, magazine worthy!

suzyq sorry to hear. Hope you get it taken care of quickly. We had mice in our former old farmhouse. Not fun. :(

PRO
Flo Mangan

Nidnay! Just gorgeous. You rock. Suzyq- I can’t handle it. God bless!

3 Likes Save    
Molly

sq sorry you have to deal with this! Do you have trees near your roof?

1 Like Save    
suzyq53

No trees and very little vegetation in our yard. This started when one of the garage doors got misaligned and there was a small gap at one corner. That's been fixed. But this entire area is exotic agricultural so there are rats. Our neighbor has hundreds of passion fruits ripening on the wall right now, also citrus, bananas, papayas, macadamia, mangos, dates, figs, loquats, avocados. And lots of other stuff around too. The people across the street have 3 commercial greenhouses with orchids and bromeliads. And the lagoon about 1/4 mile away. So its basically rat heaven. We've just been flying under the radar until now.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Oh heavens! I can’t read this anymore. Creeping me out!! Sorry Suzy but with that environment you have problems.

2 Likes Save    
suzyq53

Flo - you're preaching to the choir. I'm fit to be tied. It's me or them. This is personal! I'm gonna blast these meeces to pieces. Except they are rats. Which is worse. Yikes! or eek.

5 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Go get ‘em! No mercy.

4 Likes Save    
nidnay

Sq....you’re really going to have to get creative to keep these guys out with all that available food and habitat close by. Agree with Flo...NO MERCY!

I too knew it was only a matter of time before I’d be dealing with invaders because of the woods and fields surrounding us. So far I think we’re doing OK though. I really think I’ve filled in every crack and crevice and there were just those two mice that made their way in. But I know I can’t relax and let my guard down. Must keep up with prevention and keep my zappers up and running at all times.

3 Likes Save    
map

You girls may want to try cotton balls soaked ammonia. I would place soaked cotton balls around the base of my house. Rats/mice also dislike the smell of peppermint. You could spray that inside. We had racoons in our yard and we tried everything to get rid of them. Every night the secuirty alarm would go off and I got tired if it. Needless to say the ammonia worked. Lol my yard looked like it snowed in the middle of the summer!

nidnay

@map....I have peppermint soaked cotton balls on just about every shelf in my pantry. It smells great in there :)

4 Likes Save    
Molly

Nidnay I think you are still looking for a rug and this popped up on one of my feeds. I just grabbed a shot of your kitchen from your idea book so you could see it in your space. Very affordable.

PRO
Flo Mangan

Pretty rug. In looking at this mock up, I wonder if a green rug is your answer. All the greens from outside come inside. Might be worth trying?

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Here’s a beauty. On Houzz.

niccidhg

Nidnay, is there any way the store from where you purchased your great room rug could contact their vendor about ordering a matching one( in an appropriate size ) for your walkway ? I think it would be kind of nice to have those two matching. Since they are in the same visual sight lines, it seems like it will be very hard to use two different patterns . Maybe just a tone on tone more solid look would be an option, too - maybe a piece of broadloom carpeting cut and bound to size. ??

PRO
Beth H. :

nid,,,your stairway is sooooo pretty! Now if I had stairs and an entry like that, I'd prob decorate.

suzy,,,how goes the rat trapping? i had no idea they were coming into your kitchen! the ones we've had just stay in the attic. maybe they know we have cats downstairs!

nidnay

niccidhg......not sure I’d want two of the same.

What do you all think of this one??

6 - Misc · More Info

6 - Misc · More Info

6 Likes Save    
Molly

Gorgeous, of course. :)

2 Likes Save    
jani

Suzyq...glad you got professional help. I'd be fit to be tied...I'd have to move out.

Nidnay, I like the rug or agree with nicci..with a solid tone on tone.

nidnay

Molly....I think that one is too light....but very difficult to tell from pic.

Save    
niccidhg

That is pretty, Nidnay. Can you post another picture of the rug that’s in the great room ? It is too far back to retrieve on Houzz ! Grrrr !

Save    
nidnay

6 - Misc · More Info

6 - Misc · More Info

4 Likes Save    
nidnay

The colors look different in the pics, but I’m pretty sure the two rugs almost match up exactly.

1 Like Save    
Molly

Here they are side by side.

5 Likes Save     Thanked by nidnay
PRO
Beth H. :

I saw the one on the left at a friends house. (if not the exact one, it was very, very similar). it's pretty in person. but I like the right one too!

suzyq53

The rat went in the basket where the snap trap was and somehow snapped the trap and and ate the sunflower seed and didn't get caught. I'm going to try again tonight without the basket. On Monday the rat guy will put a bunch of traps in the attic too. Gotta catch these suckers asap or I'm going to need professional help for my traumatic stress.

3 Likes Save    
nidnay

I’m having traumatic stress just reading about it.

Try peanut butter because they can’t just grab it like they can with a sunflower seed.

2 Likes Save    
suzyq53

I will thanks. The sunflower shell was in the basket with no seed. @#$%

2 Likes Save    
lah112056

I visit your site every so often, enjoying every post. Houzz will not let me load posts prior to Dec. 1, 2019. Is there anyway to get all posts? And @Nidnay, can you post the link to your tile post?

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

Man....these guys are way too smart! I’m amazed. You need to really paste the peanut butter onto the trigger (no chunky peanut butter!)

2 Likes Save    
Save    
nidnay

@lah112056....are you using the app or a browser?

Save    
lah112056

The app on an iPhone. I could try my iPad or old desktop and thank you for the tile link. Also, what paint color did you use in your home. I was just trying to look back through everything to find answers to my question.

Save    
suzyq53

I don't know if you can see these very well but this is our neighbors wall covered with hundreds of passionfruit. Why don't the stupid rats go outside and eat those? The rat guy said they won't go outside because they know they will get killed. He said they will only travel 25 to 100 ft from their nest to eat. The rat guy said mothballs, ammonia and peppermint oil don't work. He said if you humane trap them and relocate them, the rats in the new territory will kill them. The only thing to do is trap and kill them all and make sure no more can ever get in. If I can remove all food sources, they will get very hungry and hit the traps.

1 Like Save    
nidnay

I have to confess....

....I’m still at it.... but I ran out of doodads for my fireplace.

Sent my daughter to the store to pick up one more piece.

6 - Misc · More Info

6 - Misc · More Info

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

sq.....I can see all that fruit. Don’t they prefer food with more protein though?

Save    
suzyq53

Not sure what they prefer. They are omnivores. I do know they loved my tomatoes in Poway and also snails are a favorite. I haven't seen any snails at this house.

Save    
Molly

Nidnay are you missing decorating a tree? I think your house looks very festive. :)

1 Like Save    
suzyq53

I like the rugs. I think sticking with the same muted colors with different patterns will work. Or mixing in a solid of the same color. The area rugs in the seating areas will be easier because the furniture is covering a lot of the rug. Are you sure you need a rug for the center walk through area? That's the tricky one for me.

Save    
nidnay

@lah112056.....I thought there was a way to go back to the beginning of the thread using a browser, but on my phone I’m only able to go back 10 pages and then my browser freezes. Houzz makes it virtually impossible to back track to the beginning of a long thread.

Paint colors....

WALLS:

Useful Gray

• Main Floor
  • Computer Room
  • Upstairs Foyer

Silver Strand

• Bath #2
  • Bonus Room

Amazing Gray

• Master Bedroom
  • Study

Uncertain Gray

• Scullery
  • Laundry Room

Agreeable Gray

• Master closet, bathroom, hallway

Here‘s a link to my build so you can see the colors.

2 Likes Save    
lah112056

@nidnay thank you very very much for all your paint colors! I think Houzz gets more and more difficult! I hope you got rid of all your mice. I didn’t read all of the mice posts but did see someone holding two! My daughter raised white mice but they multiplied way too fast and I worried they would get out! But I’ve never had unwanted mice in my home. Wishing everyone on following a very Merry Christmas!

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

Molly....actually not missing trimming a tree! I really like having a bunch of pre-lit smaller trees scattered all over the house. So much simpler!

4 Likes Save    
jani

Unrelated question to your thread, but since following you and your build, I've been in awe.

I've always wanted to build, for as long as I can remember. I love seeing your dream home develop with all your openness and plans --highs and lows in the process. It makes me determined to put into motion a plan to go forth or reevaluate.

The goal is to downsize in 3 years. :) give or take. I have the time to do the leg work... where do I start first? I wished I had the perfect property or land, but I don't That will be in the cards once I find I can build my dream home. If not, I will have to settle for one that must be remodeled.

Realistically, I want a plan based on what I like...don't we all? I can vary on Sq ft ( 2300-3000) and budget with a limit ...so would want to go under top budget to foresee expenses in the future. I have so many questions and not sure who to contact first? Will a builder have the first answers? An architect?

I will start a new thread if that helps.. or waiting for your book, Nidnay on do's and don'ts.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has the time to comment or contribute!

3 Likes Save    
nidnay

Jani....on my way to look at some furniture so don’t have time to respond now....will post later.

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Jani - I have a "New Build Checklist" that might be of help to you. Just email me at manganflo@gmail.com and I can email it to you. It is a pretty comprehensive listing of all the elements, decision points, methods and problem solving strategies that many encounter in a "new" build. I think it could be of immense assistance. So good to get you this upfront! Can save a lot of money.

3 Likes Save    
patrcia48

@nidnay, pink-peony,Beth H, Flo, suzyq, ladma,molly,niccidhg...haven't been reciving notifications...again. Wanted to drop by and wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy & Healthy New Year.

nidnay I almost forgot how much I love your home. Belated happy birthday.

pink...the kids must of had one heck of a party?:) Your trip sounds wonderful.

suzyq...I hate rodents. Had rats in our area last year. Pest control thought that because our neighbors are now raising chickens that is what is attracting them. I don't know...just want them dead.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by nidnay
Molly

patrcia48 and everyone else, I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy new year! :)

suzyq53

Yes! A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all. Can't believe how fast this year went. When you're a kid a year seemed like an eternity. Now its quickly time to buy a new planner. idk

Molly

Nidnay I hope you have a great trip and Merry Christmas to everyone. :)

colbran

Nidnay, Flo, Beth, Pink, Cheryl....I haven't been on here for so long! I just got caught up on your idea book Nidnay...stunning!! Your place is absolutely stunning....hope you all are doing well. I've been super busy...helping plan a wedding for my oldest son (getting married 7/25/2020)! Thinks are moving right along in my new addition. Not much has changed/been added, just some finishing touches. Maybe sometime after the first of the year I'll refresh my thread. Happy Holidays to you all!!

6 Likes Save     Thanked by nidnay
pink_peony

Every minute seems quicker than the last Suzy! This has been quite the year. I’ve learned a ton. Finishing up two projects this month and know next year all my projects will be done by Thanksgiving except for me coming in and doing one day seasonal decoration projects for clients. I am wiped out! I’m home today with a stomach bug.

3 Likes Save    
pink_peony

Accidentally hit submit.

Nidnay have a wonderful trip.

everyone had a wonderful warm merry and bright Christmas!

PRO
Flo Mangan

Take care Pink. Feel better!! Merry, peaceful, uneventful Christmas!!

4 Likes Save    
nidnay

Hi everyone! Thanks for your well wishes. Getting ready for my trip. And today I only had to have four different trades here to make repairs (HVAC company, tankless heater company, water softener guy and my security company to fix my security cams ....not to mention lawn service guy and I was scheduled to sit with my landscape designer...cancelled that one). Exactly what I wanted to do right before leaving town!

Wishing you all a very merry Christmas!

Welcome back @colbran and hello @patrcia48 !!

jani....sorry I never responded to your question regarding building :(. I WILL....

Here’s a pic for you sq....hope you’ve been victorious over your unwelcome guests!

6 Likes Save    
nidnay

Pink.....stomach bug....not good! Get some REAL rest.

2 Likes Save    
patrcia48

nidnay...I am now receiving notifications. What the heck? Safe travels and very Merry Christmas and healthy New Year :)

2 Likes Save    
suzyq53

Thanks for that nidnay. lol So far no luck. It's still here.

1 Like Save    
jani

To all A very merry Christmas! I miss half of the notifications and sometimes I cant respond on the app.

I know everyone is busy with holidays and life, so I understand Nidnay! Enjoy your family get together and breather from repairs. We've had MW and TV go out this past month.

Pink, get well soon and ring t
in the new year healthy!

Flo, thank you very much! I will be in touch.

Peace to all!

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

dana! nice to hear from you again.

to all the regs on here, Merry Xmas and New year!

4 Likes Save    
Molly

Same to you Beth! Going to Vegas?

1 Like Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

maybe! playing it by ear.

Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Merry Christmas to all my Houzz buddies! Been a great year and hoping 2020 is even better for us all.

6 Likes Save    
Molly

Well good luck if you go! :).

1 Like Save    
nidnay

Merry Christmas from the Smokies everyone!

Meteors this morning :)

6 - Misc · More Info

6 - Misc · More Info

7 Likes Save    
Molly

Merry Christmas Nidnay! Looks like lots of fog there too. This is what I woke up to this morning.

9 Likes Save    
Cheryl Hannebauer

Merry Christmas all

2 Likes Save    
zazfuzzroc

Hi Nidnay! Merry Everything everyone! :)

Hope your day is merry and bright! :)

7 Likes Save    
andria564

Nidnay do you remember the carpet color you got. I have it narrowed down to that pattern and one other.

Save    
nidnay

andria564......Early Frost

Save    
andria564

Thanks! The carpet is driving me nuts they rename the patterns and colors by store.

Save    
nidnay
1 Like Save    
zazfuzzroc

May all of you have a fab new year! Xo

1 Like Save    
niccidhg

You, too, Zaz !

1 Like Save    
Molly

Same to all of you!

5 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

That’s incredible! Thanks Molly! Beautiful!!

2 Likes Save    
Kimberly

Hi. I while back you guys were talking about pots and pans that are “healthy “ and free from chemicals. Did anyone ever find the best ones. I looked back on the thread but couldn’t find it .

1 Like Save    
nidnay

Happy New Year everyone!

My chairs arrived. I absolutely love the fabric! The plaid is very soft and subtle and not in your face at all. The ottoman fabric was applied a bit crooked so they will have to fix (things are never simple). Working on accent pillows (excuse the jimmy rigged Christmas lights on the floor lamp).

Now working on new chair side tables, coffee table, cushions for wicker chair, and reupholstering the sofa (suggestions?). Still have to trim my rug pad and steam out its creases. Little by little...

6 - Misc · More Info

6 - Misc · More Info

6 - Misc · More Info

6 - Misc · More Info

A little side note here....of all things my vehicle broke down as we were heading back from the mountains (literally as we pulled out of the driveway to go home...car packed FULL and rest of our caravan with engines running ready to go!). So....ended up with a new vehicle....

My new baby and very first truck :) Not really a fan of red, but was the last 2019 (deal) on the lot....color is growing on me.

6 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

The chairs are just right! I wonder if a little steaming on those wrinkles on the ottomans would fix it? Might be worth a try?

nidnay

Flo...wrinkles are not a problem (down filled so cushy and relaxed looking). The fabric was stretched improperly around the base resulting in a wavy curved appearance.

1 Like Save    
Molly

Love the new chairs and matching ottomans, they look so fresh and inviting! Hope your trip was great despite ending up with a new truck. Happy New Year.

jani

I love that fabric too on your chairs!! So glad you went with that. It was my favorite. Are you planning on pillows with those other fabric samples?

I envision a bit darker color for sofa.

Hope your holiday otherwise went well! I never had a truck before either (hubby does). She's a beauty....you'll never get lost in a parking lot. :)

jani

I left a comment. I dont see it. will check back

Save    
niccidhg

Those are just beautiful ,and so inviting. They look perfect with your beautiful rug — and everything ! I love your floor lamp, too.— Guess you serendipitously got a bright, shiny red belated Christmas present, too. Safe travels into a happy new year and beyond, Nidnay.

PRO
Flo Mangan

Oh. Ok. I understand now. Just looking for easy solution! Lol. You are so right. Nothing is easy! I am not a fan of checks and plaids but that looks really nice. I think it is because the coloring is so soft and subtle. Very nice.

Save    
suzyq53

The chairs look great nidnay! Subtle. For the sofa slightly deeper blue/gray? You've got a sunroom vibe so you really need plants.

And I love your hot new ride. Badass!

Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

nid,,,,man I love that room! chairs looks great. and that truck? wowza!

Save    
pink_peony

that room is coming along. I have that check in light blue on a chair and still love all these years later . It’s timeless. I feel like you need a second sofa! The room is big . Is it the angle that is making it look so “empty”? I would do something a bit daring and do a light blue sofa! It would be stunning. I would do a round table between the chairs

GDF Studio Alteri Finished Faux Wood Circular Coffee Table, Natural · More Info

Burton Transitional Pedestal Side Table, Gray Wash, Gray Wash · More Info

3 Likes Save    
pink_peony

Oh and the truck! That’s dangerous! do you know all the stuff I DONT BUY because it won’t fit in my car LOL! I had a red Expedition back in 2003 and I loved that thing!

3 Likes Save    
ohsoslow

Sexy truck Nidmay! Mine’s a silver blue and I love it! Would not part with it for anything!

Chairs are pretty as well!

Save    
Molly

Nidnay have you seen any couch fabric you like yet? What kind of material are you looking for? Do you know the maker and pattern of your chairs?

Save    
Fsal

Gorgeous chairs. A blue sofa would look amazing next to them. What brand sofa did you get? Those look comfy + good quality.

Save    
PRO
Window Accents by Vanessa Downs

I love the chairs and the room looks really inviting. (Plus your phone takes really great photos!)

1 Like Save    
ljptwt7

I also think a blue sofa would look amazing. Love how it all is taking shape.

1 Like Save    
mtpo

Nidnay (and others posting here), I apologize for jumping into your discussion, but am so happy to find you still actively posting! I’ve started the building process and now have to approve my cabinet plans. I recently saw your house and LOVE it... and your kitchen has some similarities to mine. Would you mind weighing in? In particular, I’m wondering if the 54” wide range hood is too small and whether the cabinet to the left of the windows should have a glass door and lighting like the cabinet on the right or just open shelves... but would welcome other suggestions. I’ll post my island and freezer/refrig photos separately. My kitchen layout is not very ergonomic, but I’ve come to terms with that —— it will help me meet my 10,000 step goal! BTW — the weird low microwave location is so my DH can reach it from his wheelchair.

Save    
mtpo

Here’s the rest of the kitchen. The door near the oven leads to a pantry. I have a 24” column freezer and 36” fridge (think they’ve already been ordered). If you prefer, I’ll start a new page. You have done such a marvelous job on your house.

Save    
Molly

Mtpo is the door next to the oven a pantry?

Save    
Molly

Ignore my question, I see you answered it. Sorry.

Save    
PRO
CK Hoffman Design

Oil Rubbed Bronze

Save    
nidnay

@mtpo......hey there!

I do not mind AT ALL if you post your kitchen questions here!....but most people see the thousands of post here and just move on, so I am sure you will get a lot more feedback if you start your own thread (although you will have to ready yourself to have your kitchen plan get completely demolished....it can be brutal around here!)

Would be good for you to post the kitchen floor plan as well.

Rangehood.....are you asking if your hood is too small in width? What is the brand and size of your stovetop/range.

Do you/will you have an Ideabook that will show your building progress (so we can all take a peek)?

1 Like Save    
nidnay

@jani.....I am still getting over the flu (been brutal) but now ready to talk about your potential build (exciting)!

Downsizing.....not my strong point :)

I think it’s vital for you to figure out and make a list of what the nonnegotiables are. For me the very first thing was privacy and exterior space with NO view of neighbors, so finding a suitable piece of land was first on my list (and not an easy task).

So, I went looking for land at the same time I looked for a builder. We had an acquaintance who was a builder and was highly recommended by friends so before we hired him or even sat together and talked numbers I asked him to come look at the land I was considering and give me his opinion of its build-ability. We met at the property and went over how much clearing I desired and the size and style of house etc. From there we met at his office and discussed how he operates and I explained my expectations as far as quality of materials etc. At that point he was able to give me a VERY ROUGH estimate of cost and time to build. He recommended some architects he worked with.

The builder and I (together) met with one of the architects and we laid out our budget, house style, sq footag etc. for the architect. The architect then came to look at the land. Before we purchased the property, I also insisted the builder do a soil test to make sure the house pad would be on solid ground. When I was sure about the suitability of the property we made the purchase and then signed on the dotted line with our builder. From that point we signed on with the architect and the rest is history.... and I aged a hundred years since then :)

1 Like Save    
nidnay

I need to add here that when we went to our bank to discuss mortgages and submit the builders financials, my banker told us that she was so completely impressed with our builder and the management of his finances that she actually hired him to build her a home after working on our build.....so that was a good advertisement as to the financial reliability of our builder.

Additionally though, even if a builders financials are in order that does not mean you can rest easy.....I had to check and double check on EVERYTHING through the entire build. I caught many problems and mistakes along the way that would have ended up being a major ordeal to fix, had I not been diligent in overseeing things and caught them early. In my view, it is absolutely necessary to visit the site EVERY SINGLE DAY.

4 Likes Save    
mtpo

Nidnay (and others nice enough to post here), I'll start my own thread tonight but in the meantime, I'll just post a bit more here. it's too late to do a major redo of the architectural plans or even the cabinetry -- we're down to OKing details and making small changes and corrections. So far, our builder has been wonderful. We have totally upended a conventional house plan to make it mostly (but not entirely) "Universal Access." We've signed off on the architectural plans, the foundation is poured and backfilled. Your house is one of the best I've ever seen! I feel like you are my twin from another mother when it comes to liking the same things. So, for now, I'd especially love help on the range hood design (goes over a 36" induction cooktop -- hubby would burn the house down if I got a gas or electric range) and other details that do not involve rearranging the whole kitchen. By the way, I love you HUGE kitchen faucet. It's a work of art. Do you recall who makes it?

I'll separately post my kitchen floor plan (see post below) and post more on a separate link tonight.

Save    
Molly

Mtpo you will definitely get suggestions to redo the entire layout of your kitchen. They can be brutal, just sayin....

Save    
mtpo

Here’s the kitchen layout. I want to move the pantry door back a bit so it is not in a visual line with the refrigerator etc. The ceiling is 9’ — there are Transom windows above the regular windows - something like yours. The kitchen is open to the dining area and dining area is open to great room. Big windows or doors with transom across. in place of the drawer over the trash cans is a recessed area for paper towels. :0) Even without many high cabinets, I have a place for everything. Cabinets are white shaker. I have not settled on countertops (probably also in white family - leaning towards white Corian — please don’t groan).

or backsplash yet. Floor will be wide plank wood - leaning towards engineered Hallmark Pismo (I’ve read some discontented customer stories but it’s still the main contender). Accent color will be blue — maybe French woven stools at the island. Plan to get picture light over pictures on wall to right of cooktop. So many things to think about (undercabinet lighting, location of electric and Ethernet plugs next on list).

Save    
nidnay

@mtpo.....Faucet is a Gantry faucet from Waterstone. We were all googly eyed when we opened the box. Truly a piece of art! I purchased it with a 12” reach, but if you decide to get one, I would highly recommend one with an 18” reach especially if you have a large sink. They do make available for purchase just the 18” spout on its own (it’s very simple to remove the 12” I have and replace it with the longer one)...I just haven’t gotten around to ordering it. So....I would have originally purchased one with the longer spout had I known I needed more reach (and saved myself some money on a very expensive piece of plumbing!). They also make a 3” extension for the sprayer which I think is useful as well (I am not able to touch the very bottom of my sink with the tip of the sprayer....which bothers me). In any case, I love the faucet and the articulated spout is a great feature.

A 54” wide hood is plenty big for an induction cooktop of 36”. Why are you concerned it’s too small? If you haven’t cooked on induction, I think you will LOVE it. Even though I have gas, I truly appreciate induction cooking....its pretty awesome. If it was me, I would go for the highest tech one with the most features. They have models where you can put your pot anywhere on the surface and move it around (not limited to a confined circle). I also like ones with no stainless trim at all and no knobs....so easy to keep clean

Have you considered a French door oven...super accessible. I love mine.

We have freezer and fridge columns as well (24” and 30”). I think 36” for the fridge is a smart move. 30” is a bit small but we couldn’t fit the 36” into our allotted space and still have room for our little coffee bar. If I ever built again (in another life!), I would design the house footprint concentrating on the kitchen first.....would have designed the perfect kitchen with the perfect layout (and windows) and then built the rest of the house around it.

Glass cabs.....this is just my personal opinion, but if there are going to be grills on your windows, I think having glass cabs next to those windows with grills as well will look somewhat busy. Also, I had originally planned on open shelving to the left of my triple window, but after the kitchen was pretty much put together, I decided to omit the shelving altogether (just hung some artwork). It made things less cluttered and gave more of an open feeling not having the windows flanked with cabinetry or shelving on both sides. Also, have you considered having your windows go all the way down to your counters, so they actually sit on them. It really opens things up and gives a very spacious feeling to the entire kitchen (not to mention having deeper counters where the windows sit). Just some things to think about while there’s still time.

1 Like Save    
Molly

Nidnay I’ve heard bad things about this flu, hope you are feeling better!!

Save    
nidnay

Thanks Molly....I’ve literally been sick for three weeks. First week was absolutely brutal. I could not get out of bed and completely lost my appetite (which is highly unusual for me....I love to eat!). My grandson got it and lost 8 pounds, and he was skinny to start! I never had so much pain running through my body. And it’s just so stinking slow to leave. I’m still dragging. Definitely a weird bug. I think I’ve only had a genuine flu one other time in my life. I just don’t get sick. I like feeling healthy much better!

Save    
pink_peony

Oh poop Nidnay sorry to hear you were hit with it! They are saying the flu shot is a miss again this year and not covering the right strain. Our neighbours work associates teen age daughter just passed away from this flu :-(. Went into the hospital last Thursday and died Friday. So tragic. But saying that to say it’s a especially bad one this year. We are supposed to fly to CA and I’m seriously thinking of not going because I’m terrified of getting sick again. I’m happy to read you’re on the mend.

Save    
Molly

Pink that is so sad about your neighbor!!

Save    
Molly

Is your son feeling better?

Save    
nidnay

Still coughing but much better here.

Pink....horrible about the teen who died from the flu. It’s just so hard to imagine that happening....and so, so sad.

My son in law is in the hospital today. He was working out yesterday and suddenly had severe pain in his abdomen. Turns out he had a hernia. He had surgery last night and is on the mend but his pain was pretty unbearable. While my daughter and granddaughter were at the emergency room checking on him, my granddaughter turned white as a ghost, fainted, and cut her lip on the hospital floor (ha...and she had visions of someday being an emergency room physician 😁 ). Crazy day.

On a more mundane note, I’ve been eyeing this RH table to go in front of my sofa. It’s stupid expensive but I like it best out of everything I’ve seen. What do you all think?

@pink_peony ....I really like the wood color and tone on those tables you posted. What was the print fabric...very pretty. Don’t think I could do a sofa in all blue though.

2 Likes Save    
zazfuzzroc

No idea why I seem to get on and off notifs for your thread Nidnay. Is your other thread active? And Pink's? I bookmarked both, but never see a notif... :(

Anyway... I love 💕 the chairs... no surprise there, I am in love with all your choices... They really look great in place, and that rug❤!!!!

Sorry to hear you weren't well. Glad you are feeling better. Sorry about you SIL and your granddaughter. My oldest is the same in the hospital,.. he literally cannot even hear a moan because he gets lightheaded. lol

I hope she's okay...

Pink, was really said to hear about the teenager you mentioned...as Nidnay said, so sad. I cannot even imagine how the parents feel. Prayers for them...

Btw Nidnay, you are always so kind...welcoming, and so giving of your sources, ideas, etc. It's really nice to see that. Thank you for being so kind...

Oh, and love the RH table.

I have been furniture shopping too, but it is so hard to do online. I have a lack of good stores close to me. Makes it hard to buy... without testing the seating. Looking forward to whatever you do next... 😊

1 Like Save    
nidnay

Zaz....regarding notifications, it’s hit or miss with Houzz. I sure wish they would get their act together regarding the website and app...completely unreliable.

Purchasing any kind of seating (sofa, club chairs etc.) I could never buy without testing them out. Comfort is way too important to me....especially on items that receive heavy, regular use. Although, I have to admit that I just recently purchased some very inexpensive decorative chairs for my husbands study. They’re pretty, and will get only occasional use (but not exactly high quality...but don’t tell anyone 🤫😁).

I’m wondering if I should get my new dining room table first (also from RH) before I spring for the coffee table. I have to pace myself.

I reordered my husbands study fixture (first one came damaged and in pieces), and the second one had a damaged shipping box and pieces were spilling out all over the ground...so I refused that one as well.

I’m going to give them one more shot.

1 Like Save    
ladma

What a shame! They need a new shipping department!

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

ladma.....that’s exactly what I told them in my last email correspondence to them (among other things 😁). The shipping issue puts them in a completely bad light, and even if the third time is a charm and they ship me one that is undamaged, I can guarantee I will never order from them again.

2 Likes Save    
PRO

Whoa that’s terrible shipping service on that light fixture! 😳. I like the coffee table. It’s very different and rustic.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

if they started docking the checks of these drivers and delivery people, then maybe all this stuff wouldn't arrive so damaged! it's ridiculous.

1 Like Save    
ohsoslow

This is a problem industry wide. I ordered an expensive custom vanity from a fabulous company. It arrived (in due time). The shipping crate was in perfect condition, yet the vanity had serious damage to one side, enough it had to be completely remade. This was shipped from their company already damaged. Yikes!

The other side of the story is this - I’ve ordered probably twenty items, including all my light fixtures, two huge mirrors, a dresser, two nightstands, huge dining table, and several chairs. While the boxes all looked a little rough on the exterior, the items were so very well packed that there was not a dent or scratch to be found.

So it’s hard to predict. And I’ve had some of the very nicest delivery people you would ever want to meet.

1 Like Save    
nidnay

This is how the first one arrived. The driver rang my doorbell and said I probably would refuse it because it wasn’t in the box. He brought me to the back of the truck, and there it was, completely unwrapped sitting on top of a crate, broken, bent, with huge chunks gouged out of the wood and pieces of it all over the place. Really, I couldn’t believe my eyes.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

omg,,,did you look at him and say, "ya think?" No explanation for delivery like that?? just, 'here ya go" ??

1 Like Save    
happyleg

Why? That's crazy!

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

Crazy right? When he said I’d “probably” refuse delivery, I’m thinking “probably.....PROBABLY??”

1 Like Save    
pink_peony

It took me two desks from Ballards to get a. Acceptable one. I ordered a desk offline for a client and after the third time we gave up. I think it’s become that the majority of people just don’t want to deal with customer service and in turn we’ve become a nation that settles for sub par. Companies don’t honor their products because they don’t have to because consumers just keep buying.

Funny story I got an email from Ballards saving my item had shipped. I didn’t bother looking at what items because the only thing I was expecting was my desk chair. I told DH it was a miracle the chair might actually come on time or actually early! Well I check the mail today and there is a package from Ballards. I’m thinking what in the world is this? Open it and it’s a wood sample I ordered well over a year ago. I’d forgotten about it . I went back and checked the email to see what had actually shipped And sure enough it was this 4 x4” wood sample and not my desk chair. It only took them about 18 months to get it to me!

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

Pink.....that is hilarious.....and absolutely crazy.

1 Like Save    
pink_peony

I know. I’m certainly not surprised after the wait I endured for my desk. I’m wondering how long the chair will actually take to get here. It’s supposed to arrive first week in February.

Save    
Molly

That is crazy! They probably don’t even make the piece you ordered the sample for still. 😂

1 Like Save    
pink_peony

Molly I don’t even remember what I ordered it for. I would have guessed my desk since it’s kind of a white color but it isn’t my desk for sure. Nor is it my kitchen chairs and barstools. Those are the only things I can think of. It doesn’t say what it’s a sample for.

Save    
Davied Davies

@nidnay

Sorry to be this guy... but what floors are those? Color?

Is it a new trend to have that many ceiling lights in such close proximity to one another?

Otherwise I really think it looks beautiful... about 7,000 posts into the discussion.

Save    
nidnay

@Davied Davies...

Haha....I’m sure it’s not a trend to have so many cans/fixtures, but I like LOTS of light, and they’re not all on the same switch (and all are smart switches with dimmers) This gives me lots of control in choosing what lights go on when.

Wood Floors -

Site finished Red Oak

Special Walnut stain by DuraSeal

Oil based satin finish by Master Line

1 Like Save    
Theresa Janssen

nidnay, love your club chairs. wondering if you would mind sharing where you found them. just love the cushions and style.

Save    
Davied Davies

@nidnay

So completely natural wood, the entire plank right? Not engineered on top of some layers of plywood. What price does that come out to per square feet, materials only?

I am looking at thicker engineered in the $8-9 range and thinking if something like this is only a few dollars more, I would go for it. I was told natural wood warps or develops bumps in southern humidity.

That is a great choice and finish , I would love to walk on them.

Save    
ljptwt7

It's funny I never noticed until the above comment (by Davied) about your wood floors that that is one of the reasons your space looks so beautiful. Beautiful floor. Everything ties together.

Save    
jani

@nidnay Finally able to respond to your comments. Sorry you got hit hard with flu and other medical issue with family. Glad everyone is recuperating well. I've had a horrible cough and cold that kept me from sleeping well for weeks. It still isn't gone, but my energy and sleep is better. I don't normally get that ill, but seems it is been that year.

Then all of a sudden my back started acting up and it was difficult to stand or bend over. It could have been for working in my MIL office...cleaning painting and clearing out. (UM, hadn't been painted in over 40 years.) All finished now and she is one 1st floor.

@pink_peony ...sad to hear a young person died from flu.

Nidnay, I so appreciate your comments on your building process, I definitely have to downsize, couldn't afford it otherwise. I do have some non negotiables ... and whole-heartedly agree that without the right property,,,I will not settle. I want some land, preferably 2 to 4 acres. Could get by with less if the homes are further apart.

Biggest problem I have to contend with is DH is happy here...wants to move in future, but without a push... .. will stay here longer than I want. I'll be 62 this year and he's younger, retiring in 2 years. So my work is cut out for me., looking for land first within a 15 to 20 mile radius of where we live.

The reason I love your house is what I envision. I love the higher ceilings and the windows. The layout of the dining room off the LR and kitchen is lovely!

Hope to keep up with your posts..love seeing the LR come together. It is hard to respond on my phone app. Your choices are beautiful!!

1 Like Save    
Molly

Nidnay anything happening in the way of landscaping and furniture for you? Hope you are finally feeling better and your new truck is making you happy. :)

Save    
nidnay

Landscaping.....ha, nothing new. We are having our final meeting next week and then I will have to figure out how to do things in phases. Everything is crazy expensive. But I had him design EVERYTHING I ever wanted in a landscaping plan, so a ton of work that I cannot afford to do all at once.

Truck.....OMG, I love the thing! Seriously....I took a little drive late last night just to enjoy myself and play with all the new technology. I had fun purposely veering out of my lane letting the truck steer itself back into the proper position. My previous vehicle had NO tech at all. Today it’s raining here and I don’t want to take it out on the road because it will get wet. Is that crazy or what??I’m obsessed! Anyway, I’m enjoying it.

Still coughing but that’s par for the course because if I ever get a cough, it usually lingers for a ridiculously long time and i end up with a dry hacking cough for months...just my body’s mo for some reason.

1 Like Save    
pink_peony

Nidnay I had my cough forever! Maybe 6 weeks?

glad you love the truck but I had to laugh about not getting it wet!

1 Like Save    
Molly

That was funny Nidnay! Sorry to both of you with the lingering cough, it gets annoying to yourself before long. Nice to get the landscape plans in place at the beginning, did your lawn come back?

1 Like Save    
happyleg

Go to the DR? Just to make sure. Allergy??

1 Like Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Nidnay. The truck story is delightful. I get crazy about my car too. Born and raised in Detroit so really car oriented! I get the rain on vehicle thing? But, did you “chamie” it off?! 😂😉

1 Like Save    
nidnay

We’ve had tornado warnings all morning. Would you hide in this closet during a tornado warning??

This is the ONLY place on the ground floor with no windows....

Save    
ladma

That’s a horror movie waiting to happen! Shelter in the basement, be safe.

1 Like Save    
lindacottonwood

I don't know if I would stay in there, probably. I just want everything

In there.

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Flo Mangan

Don't you have space under that back porch area? You need protection from flying objects! Don't think your tool closet is the right spot! A girl after my own heart! Be safe. Hate those tornedoes! So scary. Don't have them much here except by products of hurricanes. No basements here either. Under stairs is usually good place, because the infrastructure for stairs is typically very strong. Keeps upper floors and roof debris from hitting you.

1 Like Save    
pink_peony

Helmet and a pillows for protection? Heard one touched down in Kanapolis and us heading towards Salisbury. No fun. They just announced parents need to come pick up their kids . Officially releasing two hours early. Here is my tornado shelter. I figure I won’t starve at least. i have other no window areas downstairs . Master closet. Powder room. Closets. But they all have at least one outside wall so I figure I’m safest here in my pantry which is under my stairs.

Why is my pantry not pretty and organised like your?

3 Likes Save    
Molly

Is this where the suitcases hide?

Save    
zazfuzzroc

Be safe guys... hope it all passes quickly.

Save    
lshack17

That's the one and only drawback of your beautiful home with all the windows and light...no shelter from a tornado. Do I recall a really well planned closet built for luggage storage? Could you ride out a tornado in there if need be? We have really high winds and possible tornado warnings here in Florida also.

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

Flo.....that back patio is completely filled with crushed stone.

Pink....haha....Tornados are one of my greatest fears. I’ve never been in one and never had to think about hiding in a closet. I don’t think I’ve ever been under a warning (only watches). Do you use your instant pot? I use mine ALL the time....love it. Makes the best short ribs in 45 minutes (as opposed to hours and hours in the oven or on the stovetop).

Ladma....no basement here so not too many options. Haha....you’re correct, “horror movie waiting to happen”.

1 Like Save    
nidnay

Ishack.....unfortunately that closet is on the second floor :(

1 Like Save    
nidnay

Ishack.....we lived in Florida for a bit. We were always under watches and the lightening and thunder storms were outrageous (not to mention the threat of hurricanes!).

1 Like Save    
ladma

I guess I won’t complain about the ice storm we had last night. I don’t have school aged kids at home, but all the districts around here had a 2 hour delay. Tornados are a very rare occurrence here.

1 Like Save    
nidnay

My daughter just sent this to me.....a home in her neighborhood one street over. Look at how the tree completely sliced through the top of the home!

Save    
pink_peony

We have been in NC 13 years. I HATE tornados!!!! The good thing about an earthquake is you don’t know it’s coming and it is QUICK! I’ve lived through some BIG earthquakes. The last being the LOma Prieta earthquake in the Bay Area . We were living there at the time. In an earthquake you really only deal with the aftermath. A Tornado you have to deal with the pre, during and after . We had a tornado go right over our home and touch down in the front of our neighborhood. It was frightening to say the least. Our last home had NOWHERE to take shelter. We sat on the floor in our mud hall area with two of our three kids and the dog with sofa cushions and pillows over us. My other child was two doors down at a neighbours and she had 5 boys closed into a powder room under her stairs while she was in her coat closet. I really don’t understand why every home in NC isn’t made with a safe room since NC is number 5 in states with tornados!

as for my instant pot, I just got it at Christmas. I do use it whenever I get the chance. I made wings in it for super bowl and they were great! my sister in law added me to a FB instant pot group and they have posted a lot of recipes and info. So far we have liked all the recipes and it couldn’t be easier or quicker . DH has gotten hooked on the Hello Fresh meals and he keeps ordering them and they come 3 at a time and you have to cook them immediately so it’s become a battle finding a day where I get to use it. I made a very yummy chicken lemon meal in it and a really good turkey burger meat loaf . I heard there is a new one by Ninja that actually roasts your meat during the process. Mine is the instant pot basic I think. Kids gave it to me for Christmas

ohhh we just lost power!!!

1 Like Save    
ladma

Yikes! Be safe, both of you!

lshack17

Gotta love it when there's known tornado warnings with current high winds and the builder who has a new home under construction down the street has done nothing to secure the site... He's got building debris, lumber, loose tools everywhere and his crew is no where to be found.

1 Like Save    
happyleg

Wow

Save    
Molly

Nidnay and Pink are you all clear? Nidnay crazy picture from your daughter, glad it wasn’t her new house!!

nidnay

Pretty much all clear here. These were some of our warnings/watches throughout the day which fluctuated between warnings and watches. We’re now only under flood warnings at the moment. Our creek is the highest I’ve ever seen it but its elevation is much lower than our house so we will be fine. It seems the last few years it’s either feast or famine regarding rainfall around here....we are either under drought conditions or being deluged with major rain. The weather’s been really weird.

1 Like Save    
jani

Nidnay, that is one scary site!.. my daughter in south Charlotte lost power abt 2oo.

1 Like Save    
nidnay

@jani....how goes the house building/land search?

Save    
nidnay

@pink_peony....EXACTLY! Should be code here that every home has a safe room. I mean....they force you to have completely useless and required outlets by sinks and so many other stupid and unnecessary “safety” things, but leave us absolutely defenseless from raging storms. How stupid is that?

Save    
Molly

Did you get your 3rd office light yet? I saw it marked down yesterday when I was browsing.

Save    
nidnay

Molly...how much?

Save    
Molly

Let me see if I can find it again. For some reason $671 comes to mind.

Save    
nidnay

I paid $600 which included the wonderful shipping.....ha, I guess you get what you pay for :).

Save    
Molly

Haha, hope the third time is a charm. ;)

1 Like Save    
nidnay

Me too, but I have my doubts :)

Save    
jani

Still looking...first property had a contract the day we looked at it.. I have a feeling it is going to not be easy.

1 Like Save    
nidnay

Finding land is definitely tough, especially when demanding a certain level of privacy, exact exposure, and a specific location which (depending on where you want to be) can really limit the options.

Save    
lah112056

Nidnay, I love popping in and out of here seeing how you are progressing and what everyone else is doing. I love your club chairs and ottomans! Wow, your family room with those full big windows is beautiful! And some time back you so kindly typed all of your paint colors and the rooms they were in. I’m still in the process of remodeling this over-sized house to sell a couple of doors down from me. I need advice ASAP because my husband brought the painters in 6-8 weeks too soon. I know how to decorate for my own taste, an older taste, but not for re-sale. It seems people in their late 30’s to late 40’s are the ones buying the bigger homes. I’m going to try to start my own thread, if I can figure out how to post, may I copy the link to your discussion and will some of you offer your opinion?

1 Like Save    
nidnay

lah112056.....I totally get what you mean by not knowing how to decorate for current tastes. I find myself gravitating back a bit. When we first started building I really, REALLY had to retrain and teach myself some new things and how to “see” correctly. It was truly hard. Ha....I even had to help my daughter with her new home because she wanted to decorate like an old lady! Funny, but just today I sent my daughter my list of paints. Paint was unbelievably difficult for me because I had not thought about paint colors in decades. And the colors I used back then would be pretty horrid today. Funny how tastes change.

Please do post a link here to your thread!

3 Likes Save    
lah112056

Nidnay, thank you! You’ve made so many decisions; I just don’t know how you do it. I’m on a time crunch now as we’ve drug our projects out far too long. They just seem to multiply. And we’ve let go of so many contractors along the way. Finding good contractors was the hardest! I just finished with 3 bathrooms, and picking out 6 different tiles and 6 different grouts was hard. My thinking needs to be more trendy, but my personality is far from that! Here is the ugly office! http://houzz.com/s/m=7/u=L2Rpc2N1c3Npb25zLzU4NjQ5NDAvcGFpbnQtY29sb3ItaGVscC1mb3ItaG9tZS1vZmZpY2U=

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

What do you all think of this print for a couple of pillows....

1 Like Save    
niccidhg

I like the print and the colors. Very pretty. Will the more solid dot pattern be going on a chair or your sofa to coordinate ?

nidnay

niccidhg....maybe. I’m not sure. I will most likely have 2 pillows in that fabric (or similar) as well, but won’t necessarily put them on that chair (though I do feel like I need something like that one for more contrast).

Save    
jani

To be honest. I dont like it ..it doesnt seem to fit in with your style.

nidnay

Jani.....appreciate your opinion. Do you not like the colors or the print? Haha....I’m not sure I know what my style actually is. How do YOU view it? I do like to mix things up and have never been too inclined to stick to one particular style.

3 Likes Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

front one is ok, (has the same coloring) don't like the other one. what's wrong w/the pillow that are there now?

PRO
Flo Mangan

I think a larger scale pattern might be interesting with your large buffalo print. Here is one. Not sure about colors but I like the concept. You could pair with velvet small pillow in the mocha or blue.

nidnay

Beth....Nothing. I just need more pillows. Being short (5’2”), I usually need an additional pillow behind me, and then usually use another under my arm. If I’m going to lounge or watch tv, I like to be comfy and need pillows all around me :)

Actually though, the back pillow that came with the chair is COMPLETELY over stuffed (mix of down, feathers, and a little poly). It feels like a brick! I have down pillows all over my house, but none of them are like this. Cardinal rule with upholstered furniture is that the back pillows should be much softer than the seat cushion (my father was a furniture manufacturer).

2 Likes Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

i like Flos idea. and the velvet one in a taupe would be pretty

niccidhg

Earlier in this thread, right after your plaid chairs arrived, I thought you had mentioned you would be looking for fabric for recovering your sofa and also, fabric for your rattan chair ( or a new chair in its place ). Could you clarify, Nidnay if that is still the plan ? I kind of assumed that these fabrics might be for somewhere else in the room. I don’t think your plaid chairs really need a contrasting fabric, but if that is your preference, it certainly will work.

Save    
nidnay

Niccidhg.....yes....looking for sofa fabric and chair fabric.

As far as contrast goes, I definitely need contrast. That’s kind of a big thing for me.

Theresa....those prints are pretty, but definitely not the colors and tones I would include in my space (pinks, yellows, reds, blues & greens).

Save    
niccidhg

I see your room , as a whole, as being more soft and calming - nothing jarring, not a lot of contrast - with subtle, pretty blue /greens and neutrals - nothing jumping out in pattern or color. I think the direction should be more like a watercolor painting - lots of interest, but a soft blending of different elements/ colors. Guess that is why I liked the fabric you chose. I like Flo’s idea of some neutral velvet in the mix.

niccidhg

Contrast can still be achieved with soft colors . What I meant was not a lot of deviation from the main color palette, and sticking to soft hues . Could you show us your rug again, to see the colors therein ?

nidnay

Not quite as blue as the pic. It’s a bit softer.

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

Flo....I just don’t think I’m one to do those big, bold prints. I like them in other peoples spaces, but not so much in my own.

Save    
nidnay

Here’s a view from further back....so looks pretty soft niccidhg.

We’re talking about two pillows, not panels and panels of draperies :)

So....it seems that the majority don’t really care for the fabric or just think it’s ho hum. I’m trying to analyze why. Too old fashioned, ugly pattern, not bold enough, boring, doesn’t fit with the rest of the room. Haha....I think it’s pretty and fits well, but it wouldn’t be the first time I was unable to see something.

Ignore the table.

2 Likes Save    
Molly

This is my favorite pillow site. Homechef bought some and loved the quality and you can get samples.

niccidhg

That is so funny - Molly just sent a pillow with a fabric I thought might be nice for a future chair -

lah112056

I’m the worst decorator so am afraid to comment, but I love the right pattern for pillows with your chairs. I like pattern on pattern if done right. The one beside it is not bad, I just don’t like that pattern or texture. I don’t like the one behind the one of the left.

Molly

Is the proposed fabric the same material as the chairs? The colors are pretty and coordinate well, but it seems kind of old lady to me. Lol

Save    
niccidhg

Wow, your grass is looking really green out there , Nidnay. Success !

nidnay

Molly.....love all those pillows.

Save    
niccidhg

Molly

That site make me want to order pillows I don’t need, LOL. Nicci I was thinking the same thing about the grass being green, success!

1 Like Save    
nidnay

Molly....no, the fabric is different.

niccidhg.....ha....I think the grass looks prettier in the photo compared to real life. It’s a lot better though. In fact, it’s growing so fast that I had to call my grass cutting guy to come cut the grass last week....it was like a foot tall! Crazy to cut in the middle of winter.

Save    
lah112056

From a distance, the fabric I like the best isn’t very contrasty in color. Fades away. Up close it’s pretty.

niccidhg

jani

Nidnay, I think the colors are great ...but somehow it looks too busy..maybe not enough contrast. On the other hand, I love all the pillows Molly linked. The texture and smaller print looks like a better contrast to me. An idea. the wicker chair fabric may be the key to get a bolder contrast( I think soft luxury....when I see your home)

It might be best to decide on the sofa first.

My first impression was that it was a generic pattern...one you see everywhere... staged home.

Good luck...I love looking at your choices!

Molly

Any decisions on your pillow fabric?

Save    
nidnay

Molly.....Not yet.....working on it! I looked at every single case on Aloriam :)

Save    
Molly

Lol, I think I’ve done the same. 😉

Save    
zthar

I usually make my own pillows. This is my go-to online fabric store: https://www.fabricguru.com/

Really good prices and some gorgeous fabrics. I bet you could find someone local to make your pillows (if you're not a sewer?)

ohsoslow

@zthar - I second your love for Fabricguru.com, and would also recommend Fabric.com. They both carry an expansive variety of fabrics. If you are just looking for smaller yardages, sometimes you can get lucky and find very high end fabrics for very reasonable prices. It’s like “fabric heaven”!

1 Like Save    
PRO

Here's my opinion - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the spa blue cut velvet pillow Molly posted first. I also love the toile Molly posted and LOVE the Belinni Sands Cut Velvet pillow (Molly) in the taupe color. I think any of those or combo of those would look really nice with your chair fabric and rug. Good job Molly!!!

nidnay

I AM using these fabrics for some pillows (picked them out a while back).

5 Likes Save    
Molly

The dot looks a lot like one of the ones I shared, it’s very pretty. They all coordinate well. 🙂

ladma

Zthar, and o so slow, thanks for the fabric sites, I need to re do my screen porch cushions! Nidnay, I like the current selection, especially the blue flocked.

jani

Very pretty...I like the pattern and textures!!

1 Like Save    
PRO

Funny that I loved the spa cut velvet Molly posted and you already have fabric very similar to that. It’s perfect!! Plus I like the solid as well. BTW, I like the fabric you posted that restarted this pillow fabric thread and I think it’ll be fine with with grouping.

1 Like Save    
nidnay

The blue pillow in the front has been photoshopped in (ignore the two darker blues in the back). Remember, I will have pillows on my sofa as well so can move things around.

Ha....at least one person (Vanessa) likes the print that no one else seems to care for. I do still think it’s pretty 😛

1 Like Save    
niccidhg

There are two of us 😁.

3 Likes Save    
Theresa Janssen

if you love it, then I say go for it!

Save    
Molly

That pillow looks like it leans a little more on the blue side on my screen. I don’t hat the print, I think I’d like it more against a solid background.

Save    
nidnay

Molly....sorry. I wasn’t at all clear. I’d be making this style pillow (A) with fabric (B) as the background.

1 Like Save    
ohsoslow

@zthar, @ladma, and friends -

did not have my glasses on, oops!

Meant to suggest TheFabricCo.com

(in addition to fabricguru.com and

fabric.com.) I’ve used all three sites, with great results!

1 Like Save    
houssaon

I think the print is perfect! What is happening to the rest of your kitchen. I didn't go back and read all of the thread since a few months ago, so maybe I missed it. Did you find tile and finish the kitchen?

Save    
Molly

Ah, that will look nice. 🙂

Save    
Gcubed

Following

Save    
nidnay

Can one of you help me with this computation for fabric needed?

Trying to figure out how much fabric would be needed to create the trim on this pillow (22” pillow). Width of fabric is 58” and the trim would be approximately 1” wide. Obviously need to account for sewing of the edges.

So the question is; approximately how many yards would I need in order to make 2 pillows with trim on front and back (remembering that the bolt is 58” and it’s a solid as opposed to a print).

1 Like Save    
jani

That will look pretty. Could be 1 yard if the trim can be seamed in the corners. is the fabric thick? lt may need to be cut on the bias..I suppose whoever makes the pillows could tell you.

Save    
Molly

Based on this calculator, about 1.25 yards for 2 pillows using a 22" pillow form. Is your pillow form 20" and your total pillow with trim 22"? Here a calculator.

https://www.fabric-calculator.com/throwenv.aspx#Estimated

1 Like Save    
jani

Nidnay, I misunderstood ..lol. Thought you wanted yardage for trim only.

Save    
nidnay

Jani.....you did not misunderstand. I WAS looking for the yardage of the trim only.

Save    
Molly

Oop, my mistake! Sorry.

Save    
pink_peony

Nidnay what do you think of this tile?

Save    
nidnay

Pink....I think may be too geometric for me for the kitchen backsplash (although maybe not). Would have to see it from further back.

1 Like Save    
PRO

Do you still have my email? I’d be happy to work out the yardage with you. I’m looking at the pillow with the flat mitered contrast fabric. It appears to have a flat flange edging too. (What I like to call flat piping, doesn’t have welt in it.). It almost looks like it has 2 or 3 layers of flat piping. Are my eyes deceiving me? What do you want on the edges of your pillows? Piping? Flat piping? More than 1 layer of flat piping? And are you using fabric for the contrast mitered banding on the body of the pillow? If you can find a nice, heavy ribbon that would be easier for you than fabric! If I want pillows at 22”, I use 24” stuffers and cut out my squares at 22 or 23” square depending on the quality and fullness of the stuffers. I like my pillows to look filled out, not loose. Based on cuts at 23” (total of 46”) will get you a front and back for 2 pillows. If you want a flat piping you’ll need to determine the size (1/2”; 5/8”, 3/4”) and double that plus add in 1” for seam allowance. (You’ll double over the fabric with raw edges together for the flat piping.). I use 1/2” seam allowances. You can cut it on the bias if you want it to have nice give, but you can cut it straight too. Straight uses less fabric. Figure your cuts based on all 4 sides and the depth of the flat piping. That mitered trim you’ll need to measure what’s on that pillow you have to get an idea of the length of the trim you’ll need and add up enough for 4 sides. If I use fabric for flat trim like that I double it with the raw edges meeting down the middle on the underside. I’m probably making zero sense so feel free to email me if needed.

PRO

Ignore what i wrote! I went into too much detail for yardage for the pillows. Just measure the mitered trim going around those pillows and work it out based on doubling the fabric so raw edges meet in the center if the underside. I would think less than a yard. You must be a pretty decent seamstress to tackle those meters!

Molly

Lol Vanessa, I have to admit you lost me about 1 sentence in.

3 Likes Save    
nidnay

Haha.....Vanessa.....I need to go clear my head :) :)

1 Like Save    
PRO

Lol!!! I get diarrhea of the mouth sometimes and I forget most folks won’t understand what the heck I wrote! 🤪

2 Likes Save    
ladma

I followed your thought process 🤔

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

I think I figured it out kinda.....about 1 1/2 yards max.

Vanessa....I truly do appreciate the effort you made in typing out your instructions. After the first sentence or two though, I was laughing.....A LOT. Mainly because I am no seamstress. I actually hate sowing.

Back in the day when we had Home Ec in school, it took me an entire year to make a “jumper”. It was like torture for me. I don’t even like to sew on buttons. So....I am NOT the one who is making these pillows! The lady who is making them said I needed 7 yards of the trim, and I was like “what!!”. She obviously was thinking ribbon, while I was thinking a full width bolt of fabric.

on another note....it’s snowing here ❄️ I’m trying to post a video....let’s see if it works....

4 Likes Save    
PRO
Beth H. :

oh how pretty! I'm jelly

PRO
Flo Mangan

Picture comes up but video doesn’t work

Save    
nidnay

Hmm....I am seeing video in both the app and Safari Flo. Are you still on iPhone 6? 😁

Save    
Molly

I can see the video too. You can have the snow. 😁

1 Like Save    
nidnay

Molly....well, we’re only supposed to get 1-3 inches (but they’re usually wrong) and tomorrow it will be in the 40’s so I expect it to be very short lived. We’re actually under a winter weather advisory....you’d think it was a blizzard! I’m originally from the north so find it funny that ALL the schools closed down early today....and there wasn’t a flake on the ground 😂

1 Like Save    
Molly

Nidnay we have been rather snow free this winter (ok by me), but it feels like 12 as I type. 🙄

2 Likes Save    
pink_peony

The video works for me! How much did high end up with? We got a good 2” here. A group of lady friends congregated at one house last night for wine and good company. Most of our husbands were away on business trips. We walked over in the snow. it was really coming down and was just a wonderland. Hours later when we walked home at 11:00 it was still very lightly snowing. So peaceful and lovely. There is just something about the snow! It gives me such a feeling of excitement inside every time!

3 Likes Save    
Cheryl Hannebauer

Video worked for me as well..no snow here,, we got 2 days of snowfall, couple of inches, then the rain washed it all away. Hope everyone is doing fine. :)

2 Likes Save    
PRO

Glad you’re having someone make the pillows! They would be pretty hard to tackle with those miters!

1 Like Save    
lah112056

Love your video with the snow! I wish we had more snow this winter in Ohio. It makes gray winter days prettier! Question, when you painted your interior, did you use flat finish or eggshell? I was a bit surprised to find out our painters were planning on painting the entire house we are renovating in eggshell. He said that’s what most customers prefer. My own home is flat paint and that house we are renovating is currently flat paint.

1 Like Save    
nidnay

We used flat in the entire house (including the bathrooms). Hides imperfections, is easier to touch up when necessary, and I just like the look of super flat paint compared to the other finishes. I don’t like to see ANY sheen on my walls. A matte finish (which I actually thought meant flat) actually has a slight sheen to it, which years ago, I learned the hard way. Also, certain brands of flat paint even have a slight sheen to them. I actually got one company to refund the cost of the paint plus the labor (which is virtually unheard of) because what they advertised as flat was not flat at all but slightly shiny.

1 Like Save    
lah112056

I thought the same thing, no sheen. He is using ProMar 200 eggshell which I’m finding out is a contractors grade. I don’t know about the quality. I’m not going to be living in the house, but still don’t want to see a sheen.

Save    
lah112056

Sherwin Williams ProMar 200

Save    
nidnay

lah112056....Most prefer eggshell because of its washability....so your buyers will most likely appreciate it. For me though, it has no appeal and is more of a negative...though I’m in the minority for sure.

How goes the project?

Save    
nidnay

Found these pretty dishes in some random store that carries a lot of discontinued merchandise. Did I need them...no...but I couldn’t resist 😁

6 Likes Save    
Molly

Pretty dishes Nidnay! 🙂. Are they going to be displayed somewhere?

2 Likes Save    
nidnay

Molly...I would love to display them but don’t really have any place to do that. Haha....I don’t even have room in my cabinets to store them. They are still sitting on my counter while I figure it out 😂

1 Like Save    
Amy Van Kuijkendall

How about a SOFT BRUSHED ANTIQUE GOLD hardware,, I have a farm style home, with a lot of white,brown , bronze, wood I choose this hardware ,, it softened everything up, goes great,, it's more a vintage look,, not your ugly 1980's in your face gold,,,, I bought these pulls at Lowes,, this is my laundry room we just finished

1 Like Save    
Amy Van Kuijkendall

Nidnay,, your fabric choices on your Feb 14 photo is really good,, minus the back pillow in blue / gold pattern , it all ties together, then top it off with a off white chunky cable or fur type throw blanket draped on the side arm,,, such a beautiful choice , love your new house,, mine is similar,, but due to 4 dogs,, light furniture us out for me for the time being,, loving that country buffalo check chair too 🥰

1 Like Save    
nidnay

Hi Amy...I did pick my hardware quite a long time ago but we keep this thread alive (which some are not happy about 😃)

That faux fur throw is heated...love that thing!

Very pretty laundry room.

Four dogs..big ones, little ones?

The light colored fabric is tricky. I just bought new jeans (black) and had to lay down a little throw to sit on until the dye in them gets wash out. My legs had black stain all over them 😳 I hate having to wonder if when guests arrive they are wearing new clothes that will transfer the dyes to the chairs!

2 Likes Save    
marrymaid

Nidnay, I have followed forever. You home is beautiful and the snow just enhances your setting. We lived outside of Charlotte 12 years ago and absolutely loved it. This thread has so many talented and kind people. Always a joy to read.

Molly

Yikes, black legs! I never thought about dye transfer on furniture, but I’ve had blue legs.🙄😂

jani

Pretty dishes! Awhile back, I wondered if you had your cabinets full. I knew I wouldn't have enough. 😉

Is your couch getting recovered?

lshack17

Nidnay, something similar happened to me with dye transfer. In my case, it was a neighbor who likes to wear bronzer/self tanner and short shorts. She sat on my cream sofa and her self tanner made two brown thigh marks on my sofa. Luckily, the stain remover that the furniture company gave us worked great and all was well. The neighbor was so embarrassed and we laugh about it now. Like you said, I have always worried about dye transfer, now I have to worry about tanner transfer too! Maybe I am just not a person who can take the stress of cream couch living. 😂

Save    
Amy Van Kuijkendall

Awesome ,,Nidnay,,, I didn't realize this thread was from awhile ago 😚 I have a Red Pom, Black Brindle Pom, Fawn colored Chi/Pom mix and my brat Shay who is deaf, Staffordshire/ Queensland Heeler,, I'm a neat freak who loves, Vintage, Farm Style , unique items that make a home comfy,, no matchy matchy here,,, Levi's when damp will Transfere color onto your shoes too,,, we are remodeling a Tudor Style home soon,, I'm doing something different this time in the guest room,, I'm choosing darker colors, everything will be more conducive to guests in their space, and incorporating it for kids as well, they also make a complete zip up water proof mattress covers , so I'm encasing the mattress and pillows in it,, to much stuff in the past has gotten ruined,, I love light bright and airy, we did a white marble floor in the 1/2 bath near the front door, boy does dirt fly through the air land in there,,, we also live in the forest so it makes it harder to control, the snow makes for a mess even though I love the snow 🤗

Save