SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gillianma

Confessions of a frugal procrastinator

14 years ago

Please feel fee to laugh with me and at me, share your similar stories (it would make me feel so much better to feel that I'm not alone!), and/or give me your solutions and suggestions.

I'm not sure whether I just need to wail -- or really need a firm boot in the rear to get me moving. Frugal suggestions will be much appreciated! My primary issue here is that I prefer to re-use or recycle whenever possible. I'm also revoltingly environmentally conscientious.

We bought this old (1938) house 5 years ago and have worked really hard to finish more tasks than I can list here. I actually pat myself on the back when I remember what we have accomplished.

However, these are the outstanding annoying issues that I just can't quite seem to get around to dealing with properly. I also don't want to live with them much longer.

Confession 1: My dining room chandelier is hung too high.

By about 4". Not so very much, I guess, but it really bugs me. The chandelier came with the house but I don't think it is period. I've kept it because I like the shape, I also haven't seen anything I like more in the stores today, and it is sized appropriately for a small 10' X 11' dining room. On the negative side, it is *antiqued* brass but still way too shiny for my taste. Should I take it down and spray paint it black (any DIY folk done this sucessfully?), rewire, find more chain to suspend it, and then rehang it -- or should I just bite the bullet and try to find and buy a new one that I like more? Which would be more work in the long run?

Confession 2: I have a "floating rug" in my formal sitting room.

I love this vintage rug, but what worked in my last house "floats" in my new larger sitting room. The rug is lovely antiquey, vegetable dyed, mossy greens and beiges. All the furniture is upholstered to complement it and the color scheme works. I just can't seem to be able to replace the muted colors in that old rug in a new larger size area rug. I've about given up, having searched diligently for several years.

So, could I solve the problem by getting a larger piece of solid color carpet bound and "layering" my small area rug on top of it? Has anyone done this and does it work? Any pictures?

Would this solve the visual problem or should I hold out for the perfect replacement 10 years from now?

Confession 3: My switch plates are pug-ugly.

Now this one I'm actually dealing with now! I just ordered paintable switchplates from a link that JohnMari posted ages ago (thanks Mari). This is the link for others that may need it. http://www.aplussupply.com/taymac/masgue.htm

Any help on the chandelier and rug is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Comments (16)