SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uptownluvva

Acceptable price for retiling?

Dr. P
6 years ago

I am making the painful decision to remove some installed, but not yet grouted, 12 x24 white porcelain tile. The color is just not working and I have made the decision to use a different tile instead. Removing this tile will require installation of new Durock and protecting the already installed tile shower pan. (That has been installed for about 2 weeks.)

I have received a quote of $1,900 to remove the old tile, prep the new surface and install the new tile (a little less than 80 square feet in total). This seems on the high side and I will be paying this on top of what I already paid to have the whole shower done. But it would also be awkward to find someone else to do these walls and then have the original installer return to do the rest. And since this is part of a larger project, I'm not sure the GC will go for that anyway.

Any advice? The fact that the tile is not working is my mistake and there don't appear to be any problems with the installation. I know it will bug me and I want to take care of this before it is even more expensive to change (once it is all grouted and fully finished.) I live in a large city so higher-end labor costs probably apply in my case.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm rather heartsick over this...

Comments (19)