SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherishzm

What possibly caused this hardwood cupping?

Jun
6 years ago

Hello,

I'm posting this with hopes to get some help with identifying what could have caused 'cupped' hardwood floor in a small area in kitchen of my house that was discovered few days ago. I have attached a few pictures showing the problem area. We moved into this house spring of last year and there was no issue with hardwood floor and most of the first floor is hardwood. But, few days ago I discovered bad cupping occurred to a part of hardwood floor in the kitchen area shown in pictures.

This area is about 8~9 ft long and 1 ft wide (2~4 boards). It starts from and it is worst near where the refrigerator is and right next to 3 cupped boards there are also 2~3 boards that are swollen (these board above the others). Since we discovered the cupped floor, I have checked the crawl space under that area but could not see anything unusual but did not have any tools to measure moisture level. Also, there are no other areas that floors are cupped.

You can see from one of the pictures that there is a refrigerator right next to where the cupping begins and also laundry room with washer. I thought there might be leaks from washer water connection so checked that area but could not identify anything. But, I could not see back of the refrigerator for possible leaks yet (couldn't move this thing out).

I understand it's best to have a flooring expert come out to look at it, but wanted to see if folks in this forum could possibly point out what could have caused this cupped floor.

Thanks for taking your time to read! Hopefully; someone can help me out.

Comments (12)