SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aprilneverends

A book on major decorating styles -Would love your advice

6 years ago

One of my friends might have-after many years of renting and going through circumstances that prevents one from being in the mood to decorate-might have a chance on having her own place. She always held me in high regard (whether I had to show something for it or not lol), and been asking some advice recently. She loves and understands art, and books, and is sensitive to beauty, yet putting things together is not her forte, and probably not something that interests her enough..anyway, it's not like she ever tried.

She doesn't live in the US and I might have chance to see her, finally, yet I'll have just a day or so to spend with her.

I thought that a book that illustrates different styles might be a good idea, as it'd be a faster way for her to see different approaches, and thus determine preferences and direction. It might get her excited too, more involved..if she asks me things in the future I'll know her preferences( we've been friends for more than 20 years yet I'm at loss at what her preferences are, her place doesn't reflect any, and she hates it)..I also believe our surroundings influence us more than we know, so more personal home=more soothing environment.

Now when you know the context, the question itself. What book would you recommend? I have several at home or took some in a library and read, but none is ideal for taking overseas.

"Decorate" shows styles pretty well but is very big and heavy (I already bring two big books for my Mom, and many other bulky gifts). A possibility but not ideal.

"Domino" (I read only the first one) is nice..but something's telling me she'll see it as unattainable and will somehow be more dismissive of it?

"Design Sponge at Home"-very nice first part, but DIY part won't happen, not with my friend.

"Design Bloggers at Home"-shows different styles I guess..is more attainable..is smaller..blog component is redundant I think. Also I plainly like it less as a book. It's hard for me to give something I'm not sure I love myself. Again, a possibility, but I'm not crazy about this one.

"Apartment Therapy: Small, Cool Places"-I like it, but it's a lot of talking too..also it's a lot of inventive approach and tweaking that takes either DIY she can't/won't do, or money to pay pros she won't have

She reads English of course, but I don't think she reads it for pleasure, so probably less text, more illustrations would be better

There are plenty books I love but they are either devoted to a particular style, or a designer's work, or are very big and are inspirational so I'm not sure the best to start with and are heavy as hell, or contain too much text..I went through all my collection which is quite big, and in my mind, through the ones I remember..I can't think of a book that would be best.

Did I oversee some great book maybe? I'm sure I read many, but even more, I haven't:)

Maybe you read a book I never did, and happened to love it? Again, needs to sum up major different approaches on decorating; contain many illustrations, not too much text..

I won't have time to choose, while there, a book she might enjoy more, it'd be a very compact trip..also books there are more expensive. I'd rather order from Amazon, I have Amazon Prime, 2 day free shipping.

Of course I can just decide to give up on the idea, I have other gifts prepared too, but I want to make sure I gave it enough thought. I also think that as she deeply loves books-a book will appeal to her more than any other format where one can start gaining info and inspiration on the subject.

Any advice would be very welcome!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida