SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
madeline616_gw

Wall paper newbie needs basic decorating advice, please!

Madeline616
12 years ago

Hello,

I'm redoing my bedroom and using wall paper for the first time.

My home is a simple, transitional/contemporary type look. I'd like the bedroom to be simple/transitional, but wanted to go for a little more romantic look.

I have dark, wide plank walnut floors, a cream coverlet, solid cream sueded fabric on a chest and chair in the room, Hudson bed and side tables from PB (very clean lines, dark wood) an etched dressing mirror from Horchow and RH Victorian Hotel Pendant in nickel.

My question is this. I'd like to use a rug with a raised pattern. It's continuous and pretty contemporary. Light green and cream:

I'd also like to use a cream, slightly shiny, tone-on-tone wallpaper with either a flocking/filligree, or scroll pattern. The patterns look more obvious in the pics than in person; they're a little more subtle when held vertically against the wall.

There will be space between the rug and wall...about 2 or 3 feet of hardwood flooring.

I'm not used to doing a lot of patterns, and have never done wall paper, so I don't know whether this type of pattern combining is acceptable or not. What are the rules of thumb when using a patterned wallpaper?

Thanks in advance, the people on this forum are amazing!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pendant Light

Comments (15)