SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coniferjosh

Abies recurvata, ernestii, firma, or chensiensis?

Hi all,

An ID puzzle here for you all on this winter day. I bought this plant as Abies chensiensis, but recently, I'm doubting this identification. From Rushforth, Farjon, etc., it seems to lack some of the characters of that species, especially in its very sharp, acute needles (painfully sharp, actually, more so than any Abies I've encountered). (Eckenwalder talks about A. recurvata being very sharp.)

Needles are about 2-3 cm, I'd say, glossy green above, and again, very sharp and pointed. Shoots are light brown to light gray/even ivory color, which again doesn't seem to match photos I've seen of Abies chensiensis.

Also, the bark (hard to see in this picture) is already beginning to show a little bit of peeling quality (though nothing like, say, Abies squamata).

What do you think? My latest leaning is that it's Abies ernestii (or recurvata var. ernestii), as it looks much like Clement's photo on this [page. [(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/abies-chensiensis-dsvw-vd~3252965)Whatever it is, it grows very well here in south central Indiana, though it is the first of my Abies to bud out in the spring.

Josh

Comments (16)